Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving from Perth to Brisbane!

Moving from Perth to Brisbane!

Old Oct 2nd 2005, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

AdelaideBlue has a brilliant futureAdelaideBlue has a brilliant futureAdelaideBlue has a brilliant futureAdelaideBlue has a brilliant futureAdelaideBlue has a brilliant futureAdelaideBlue has a brilliant futureAdelaideBlue has a brilliant future
Default Moving from Perth to Brisbane!

Hey

Just wondered if anyone on here has made the move from Perth to Brisbane/Sunshine Coast before, If so how did you find it? and what removal company did you use etc etc?

We've (wife, 2 year old son and myself) been in Perth now since May 2005 and to be honest we're thinking of heading over to the East Coast early next year. I know there have been loads of posts on here recently slating Oz and in particular it seems Perth! We like everybody else have had our ups and downs and have been through the missing UK period. However we have no plans to leave Oz to return to the UK. We all love Australia and it's definately got more going for it than UK as regards to bringing up a young family. Having said that though we do feel that Perth just isn't what we'd hoped for when we initially left the UK. So we're thinking of 'upping sticks' and heading for the 'Sunshine Coast'

Don't get me wrong things have gone pretty well since we arrived here, I got a decent job more or less straight after arriving and I really enjoy it. Perth definately has it's positives: it's a really nice clean city, the people are great and apparently it's got a really good climate!!! (but not for the 5 months that we've been here!!) However it is isolated, it's soooooo far from away from anywhere else and it doesn't take long before you've really exhausted all the possiblilites that are locally at hand. Hey we've not done everything that WA/Perth has to offer, far from it but from Brisbane it's gonna be so much easier to go to Sydney or Melbourne etc for the weekend. I know, we knew all this before we left Blah Blah Blah, we did do the research but wanted to check out Perth for loads of different reasons, which we've now done and now we want to check out somewhere else!

It was actually a toss up between Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane before we left the UK. Perth won on the climate/weather front etc and we don't ever regret coming to Perth, it's a really nice place but we feel there may be more opportunities over in Brisbane.

So if anybody else has made the move before it'd be great to hear your stories of how the move went, and any tips you can share that'll make our move go smoothly.

Cheers AB

P.S It's actually a really nice day today here in Perth (after early rain!) and I should be out enjoying the sunshine that we came here for, but unfortunately I'm full of FLU and wrapped up in bed!!
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Perth to Brisbane!

Originally Posted by AdelaideBlue
Hey

Just wondered if anyone on here has made the move from Perth to Brisbane/Sunshine Coast before, If so how did you find it? and what removal company did you use etc etc?

We've (wife, 2 year old son and myself) been in Perth now since May 2005 and to be honest we're thinking of heading over to the East Coast early next year. I know there have been loads of posts on here recently slating Oz and in particular it seems Perth! We like everybody else have had our ups and downs and have been through the missing UK period. However we have no plans to leave Oz to return to the UK. We all love Australia and it's definately got more going for it than UK as regards to bringing up a young family. Having said that though we do feel that Perth just isn't what we'd hoped for when we initially left the UK. So we're thinking of 'upping sticks' and heading for the 'Sunshine Coast'

Don't get me wrong things have gone pretty well since we arrived here, I got a decent job more or less straight after arriving and I really enjoy it. Perth definately has it's positives: it's a really nice clean city, the people are great and apparently it's got a really good climate!!! (but not for the 5 months that we've been here!!) However it is isolated, it's soooooo far from away from anywhere else and it doesn't take long before you've really exhausted all the possiblilites that are locally at hand. Hey we've not done everything that WA/Perth has to offer, far from it but from Brisbane it's gonna be so much easier to go to Sydney or Melbourne etc for the weekend. I know, we knew all this before we left Blah Blah Blah, we did do the research but wanted to check out Perth for loads of different reasons, which we've now done and now we want to check out somewhere else!

It was actually a toss up between Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane before we left the UK. Perth won on the climate/weather front etc and we don't ever regret coming to Perth, it's a really nice place but we feel there may be more opportunities over in Brisbane.

So if anybody else has made the move before it'd be great to hear your stories of how the move went, and any tips you can share that'll make our move go smoothly.

Cheers AB

P.S It's actually a really nice day today here in Perth (after early rain!) and I should be out enjoying the sunshine that we came here for, but unfortunately I'm full of FLU and wrapped up in bed!!
We have come to the same conculsion, but based only on research. Nice to hear it coming from the horses mouth.

I think we may have made the right decision in Brisbane.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 10:33 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hey

Cheers AB

No answers for you as still in UK. Get well soon and thought I'd bump it up for you.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 10:37 am
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

Hey

Cheers AB

We've lived in Brisbane and Perth. We found both great, but hope to settle in Perth if DIMIA are obliging (136 app. went in last month).

Like you, we arrived in Perth for autumn/winter and loved the mild climate compared to Blighty. Brissie has warmer winters, but is a humid as opposed to dry heat - which can be more oppressive in the Spring/Summer. Perth also benefits from seasonal changes, autumn leaves and the bloom in Spring is gorgeous. I think I've also mentioned before that Perth don't move their clocks, so they have a winter solstice as late as 5.30pm and you're far more flexible when you want to phone mother England (7 or 8 hours in front - as opposed to 9 or 11).

I'm baffled by your comment that living in Brisbane would make visiting Sydney and Melbourne easier. Don't you know that it takes around 12 hours to drive to Sydney from Brisbane? And if you fly - what's another couple of hours on a plane, if you were to do the trip from Perth? Virgin Blue and Qantas are dirt cheap which ever route your looking at.

The isolation thing is purely psychological. Perth is a massively spread out city, with heaps to do and see. I don't need to tell you what's a few hours drive south, and if you go in land there's the Perth Hills, Mundaring Weir, Noble Falls to name but a few areas of beauty. York is a fabulous colonial town draped in history, and Kalgoolrie is well worth a weekend visit. We didn't look too far north of Perth, but I'm sure there are good day trips/weekends just a few hours further than Yanchep.

Your not isolated. If you were to look any further afield of the places I've just mentioned you'd need to fly - but you'd need to do that if you wanted to venture that much further away from any of the cities over east - unless you wanted a mammoth drive.

To be talking about moving after only four months is a bit hasty I feel. Remember, summer is around the corner, with longer days and Christmas on the beach!!

Hope you get over your cold soon.

p.s. To all you Brissie residents/soon to be residents - not knocking Brisbane here. Absolutely adored the place.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 10:43 am
heehaugh

Granger will become famous soon enoughGranger will become famous soon enough

I agree, and sometimes wonder if I will end up in Brisbane. Hope everything goes well.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 11:26 am
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

I have to agree with Adelaideblue it is much cheaper to fly to Sydney from Brisbane than Perth and other places. It's a difference of about $500 on a return flight to Sydney for 2 adults.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

AdelaideBlue has a brilliant futureAdelaideBlue has a brilliant futureAdelaideBlue has a brilliant futureAdelaideBlue has a brilliant futureAdelaideBlue has a brilliant futureAdelaideBlue has a brilliant futureAdelaideBlue has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lewis Lapthorn
We've lived in Brisbane and Perth. We found both great, but hope to settle in Perth if DIMIA are obliging (136 app. went in last month).

Like you, we arrived in Perth for autumn/winter and loved the mild climate compared to Blighty. Brissie has warmer winters, but is a humid as opposed to dry heat - which can be more oppressive in the Spring/Summer. Perth also benefits from seasonal changes, autumn leaves and the bloom in Spring is gorgeous. I think I've also mentioned before that Perth don't move their clocks, so they have a winter solstice as late as 5.30pm and you're far more flexible when you want to phone mother England (7 or 8 hours in front - as opposed to 9 or 11).

I'm baffled by your comment that living in Brisbane would make visiting Sydney and Melbourne easier. Don't you know that it takes around 12 hours to drive to Sydney from Brisbane? And if you fly - what's another couple of hours on a plane, if you were to do the trip from Perth? Virgin Blue and Qantas are dirt cheap which ever route your looking at.

The isolation thing is purely psychological. Perth is a massively spread out city, with heaps to do and see. I don't need to tell you what's a few hours drive south, and if you go in land there's the Perth Hills, Mundaring Weir, Noble Falls to name but a few areas of beauty. York is a fabulous colonial town draped in history, and Kalgoolrie is well worth a weekend visit. We didn't look too far north of Perth, but I'm sure there are good day trips/weekends just a few hours further than Yanchep.

Your not isolated. If you were to look any further afield of the places I've just mentioned you'd need to fly - but you'd need to do that if you wanted to venture that much further away from any of the cities over east - unless you wanted a mammoth drive.

To be talking about moving after only four months is a bit hasty I feel. Remember, summer is around the corner, with longer days and Christmas on the beach!!

Hope you get over your cold soon.

p.s. To all you Brissie residents/soon to be residents - not knocking Brisbane here. Absolutely adored the place.

How can you be baffled by the statement that it'd be easier to visit Sydney or Melbourne from Brisbane rather than Perth? Have you looked at a map of Australia recently?

And the isloation thing isn't simply psychological, Perth's the most isolated city in the World......fact!

Hey Perth's a great place don't get me wrong, we're definately here for the summer, we'll give it a year, but we're thinking about heading east at the back end of the summer....to try and avoid the 6 months of rain and cold here in Perth!!!.....only kidding!

Who knows we may stay here in Perth, I was just trying to get some views from other expats who may have made a similar move.

Cheers AB
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 11:33 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Virgin Blue and Qantas are dirt cheap which ever route your looking at.

Well that gave me my evening larf
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 11:35 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Trust you

Old Oct 2nd 2005, 12:19 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

How can you be baffled by the statement that it'd be easier to visit Sydney or Melbourne from Brisbane rather than Perth? Have you looked at a map of Australia recently?

And the isloation thing isn't simply psychological, Perth's the most isolated city in the World......fact!

Hey Perth's a great place don't get me wrong, we're definately here for the summer, we'll give it a year, but we're thinking about heading east at the back end of the summer....to try and avoid the 6 months of rain and cold here in Perth!!!.....only kidding!

Who knows we may stay here in Perth, I was just trying to get some views from other expats who may have made a similar move.

Cheers AB
What are you isolated from in Perth?
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 12:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by A dogs life
I found them cheap. Maybe you'd best get a paper round to subsidise your income.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 12:29 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

I found them cheap.

Compared too...

Oh thats right, its a duopoly. So if Virgin Blue offer $20 less than Qantas its a bargain.

Its still expensive compared to budget airlines in the UK
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

alexc is an unknown quantity at this point

We visited Perth when we were scoping but decided it was too isolated.

We're in Bris now and are totally in love with it. Its surely the best location in Oz. Loads to do round here and your just a quick flight to Sydney & Melbourne (day trip is possible) and Cairns & Whitsuns are both closeish. Not to mention all the local attractions.

You won't regret it if you come.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

What are you isolated from in Perth?
Errmm.........The rest of Australia!
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 12:55 am
Account Closed

Barron is an unknown quantity at this point

we actually landed in Perth last sep spent two weeks there and decided to move to brisbane,our container was on its way and was divirted to Brisbane ,it cost us more but after being on the bayside for the past year I know we made the right decision.I cant explain why but it is different .We also have family in Perth but that didnt help
]
Best of luck

Sally

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.