Moving to Perth

Old Jul 7th 2007, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Don2211 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Perth

I am 25 years old, male and from Glasgow.
I am hoping to move to Perth in Jan 2008. I will be moving over by myself and staying with a friend initially.
I was looking for any advice on my move, ive already been over for a holiday and I just want a new start in a diff place.
I understand that it will be hard to begin with but Im going to give it a real go.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Perth

Originally Posted by Don2211
I am hoping to move to Perth in Jan 2008. I will be moving over by myself and staying with a friend initially.
I was looking for any advice on my move, ive already been over for a holiday and I just want a new start in a diff place.
I understand that it will be hard to begin with but Im going to give it a real go.
As you are a single male, and still young, I would recommend you try to get settled somewhere close to Northbridge where all the pubs, nightlife is or possible even Leederville area.

The burbs are very slow socially compared with the UK style of going to the local and meeting peops etc. And everything is soooo spread out so a pub crawl is out of the question.

I suppose Scarborough would be ok too - but is very touristy and a little pricy on the rent.

Well, good luck to you

Paula
Old Jul 8th 2007, 12:42 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Don2211
25 and single...hmmm. Pity your friend doesn't live in Melbourne. Way more nightlife there. As Paula said, Leederville is a trendy little spot, but avoid the "Hippy Club", you get some real strange and rough types in there. God knows why it ever became a popular spot in the past, there's nothing really hippy or retro about it at all.

I wouldn't live in Northbridge though, too many drunken and drugged out morons roaming the streets of it late at night/early hours of the morning. Often hear of bashings there. Spose if you were away from the nightclub part it might be a little better.

My advice: Bring enough money so you can relocate to Melbourne or Sydney once the boredom starts to hit home.

Don't rely on the Perth taxi services, they can be unreliable and have shoddy p/t drivers at times (speed, don't know where you're going,quickest route, etc). You can't book a taxi in Perth and expect it to turn up...often it won't. You have to ring when you want one and just HOPE it turns up! No bullshit!

Last edited by kiwi_child; Jul 8th 2007 at 12:48 am.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Im not planning to where I am goig to stay, Im just going to see what happens and settle where I feel settled.
The only reason I am moving to Perth to begin with is because i have friends there, I also know a few people in melbourne.

When i was travelling Oz earlier this year melbourne was my fav, didnt really like Sydney though
Old Jul 8th 2007, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

allnatural is an unknown quantity at this point

hey when u moving to perth??? im going this october???
Old Jul 8th 2007, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Im hoping to move over in January, providing I get accepted.

Who you heading out there with?
Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:28 am
Just Joined

allnatural is an unknown quantity at this point

hey how u doing, im moving over in october i was quite lucky my mums an auzzie and i got dual nationality passport. if u want add me on msn would be good to chat. im loren by the way
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:32 am
Just Joined

roganu is an unknown quantity at this point

Well,

I moved to Perth a year ago as I have some family and a couple of friends here, and have been living in one of the more vibrant areas, Fremantle. I chose Perth because of those connections, plus I had visited and loved the place with its nice beaches and the nightlife seemed ok also.

One year later:

I think I've managed to add one, maybe two people to the number of people I knew when I arrived (apart from work).

Those couple of places I went out when I first arrived are about the only places you can go out, theres not much variety.

The vibrancy of Fremantle past 10pm involves hanging outside Hungry Jacks (Burger King) with hordes of 18 year olds vomiting in the gutter. Northbridge in the city can be little better but you get the added bonus of potentially being assaulted into the mix. If you don't get assaulted you may well trip over the tumbleweeds blowing between the drunken 'locals'.

The beaches are really the only selling point I can see after my year of being here. On their own its not quite enough to keep me so I'm taking off to Melbourne soon. If you are single also I would not recommend Perth.

Whatever your choice, good luck!
Old Jul 9th 2007, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by allnatural
hey how u doing, im moving over in october i was quite lucky my mums an auzzie and i got dual nationality passport. if u want add me on msn would be good to chat. im loren by the way
Het Loren,

My msn on my laptop isnt working at the moment unfortunately,

If u wana speak tho u can get me on the following;

email: [email protected] or
bebo: www.donallan1.bebo.com

Last edited by Don2211; Jul 9th 2007 at 2:30 pm. Reason: Not finished typing