Moving to Perth

Old Oct 29th 2002, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Saffy is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Moving to Perth

I am moving to Perth with my soon to be husband in June. He is Australian, but is from Queensland, so we are after tips on good areas to rent in Perth. Also once you have found somewhere, how quickly can it be set up for you to move in. Can this be done before getting to OZ? We are looking to buy in Perth, but want to rent for 6 months until we decide what area to move to.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Oct 29th 2002, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Perth Helena is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Perth

Originally posted by Saffy
I am moving to Perth with my soon to be husband in June. He is Australian, but is from Queensland, so we are after tips on good areas to rent in Perth. Also once you have found somewhere, how quickly can it be set up for you to move in. Can this be done before getting to OZ? We are looking to buy in Perth, but want to rent for 6 months until we decide what area to move to.

Thanks for any advice.
What's your budget? And what are you after? Apartment or house, and how big? How far from city centre/beach?

I wouldn't rent sight unseen. Better to stay in a fully serviced apt or a B&B for a couple of weeks and look for something yourself. Otherwise you might get stuck with a 6 month lease in a place that you just hate.

Some suburbs to avoid: Balga, Girrawheen, Koondoola, Westminster, Nollamara, Mirrabooka. Also iffy: Thornlie, Maddington, Merriwa, East Victoria Park, Highgate. Also avoid anything around Kwinana and Naval Base: Kwinana, Orelia, Parmelia, Leda, north Rockingham.

How quickly can you move in? Depends on whether its empty or not. Most places we looked at were empty. Others were available on first of month.

If it's just the two of you and you don't mind apartment living (there's not much of that in Perth), South Perth is nice. Quite fun to live in - pretty area, nice shops and restaurants nearby, close to river for recreation and very close to city centre. Not cheap but handy and good for temporary living while you look around.

Good luck,

Helena
Old Oct 29th 2002, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Default Moving to Perth

The places we have been considering are: Ocean Reef, Sorrento, Kallaroo, Whitfords, Mullaloo, North Beach, Edgewater and Marmion. We would ideally like to live near the beach. The other thing we do have to consider is that we are taking our cats with us, so the place will have to allow for animals. I have been looking at the Reiwa website and we are looking at anything up to about $300 a week. Can anyone recommend some good B&B's in the Perth Area to atay in. When I was there last year, I stayed in hostels and I don't fancy doing that with all our cases!

Thanks
Old Oct 29th 2002, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Perth Helena
What's your budget? And what are you after? Apartment or house, and how big? How far from city centre/beach?

I wouldn't rent sight unseen. Better to stay in a fully serviced apt or a B&B for a couple of weeks and look for something yourself. Otherwise you might get stuck with a 6 month lease in a place that you just hate.

Some suburbs to avoid: Balga, Girrawheen, Koondoola, Westminster, Nollamara, Mirrabooka. Also iffy: Thornlie, Maddington, Merriwa, East Victoria Park, Highgate. Also avoid anything around Kwinana and Naval Base: Kwinana, Orelia, Parmelia, Leda, north Rockingham.

How quickly can you move in? Depends on whether its empty or not. Most places we looked at were empty. Others were available on first of month.

If it's just the two of you and you don't mind apartment living (there's not much of that in Perth), South Perth is nice. Quite fun to live in - pretty area, nice shops and restaurants nearby, close to river for recreation and very close to city centre. Not cheap but handy and good for temporary living while you look around.

Good luck,

Helena
Sorry gotta make a correction there Perth Helena. Westminister and Nollamara are not that bad anymore. Most of the suburbs have been re developed and are worth quite a bit of money. Some parts of Mirrabooka are really nice and some other parts have $750,000+ homes in them (sure there is probably an older area that needs a bit of polishing up).
Personally, myself, I would not avoid Balga. It does have a bad reputation from years back. I lived there when I was a kid and when I was in my early 20's I moved back for 3 1/2 years and never had any problems. We purchased two rental properties back in 1993 and have just sold the second one. The first one we had a few problems with break ins, but the second not a problem at all. It is like most areas, there will always be breakins somewhere.
Old Oct 29th 2002, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

The places we have been considering are: Ocean Reef, Sorrento, Kallaroo, Whitfords, Mullaloo, North Beach, Edgewater and Marmion. We would ideally like to live near the beach. The other thing we do have to consider is that we are taking our cats with us, so the place will have to allow for animals. I have been looking at the Reiwa website and we are looking at anything up to about $300 a week. Can anyone recommend some good B&B's in the Perth Area to atay in. When I was there last year, I stayed in hostels and I don't fancy doing that with all our cases!

Thanks
You can get Ocean reef for around the $200 mark. That is for a 4x2. Could not find anything in Sorrento, but that is a pricy suburb. If you are going to go as far in as Edgewater, you may also want to try Currambine or Joondalup. They are only around a 5 - 10 minute drive to the beach, but have better access to public transport. I really think that Sorrento and North Beach would be out of your price range unless you want a unit. I may be wrong as I can't find any rentals on line for those burbs. Another thing, when is your furniture arriving or do you have to buy new. The rentals will be unfurnished. The only B & B I could find was in an area called HighGate (I think) It is just north of Perth (about a 15-20 min walk into city) called Pensions of Perth. Not sure what it is like but looks nice, not cheap either http://www.interbed.com.au/pensionperth.htm

You can also try this link for added info on suburbs in Perth http://www.aussiemove.com/

There are also B & B's around the Sorrento area. If you would like web addresses for them let me know

Old Oct 30th 2002, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by suebo
Sorry gotta make a correction there Perth Helena. Westminister and Nollamara are not that bad anymore. Most of the suburbs have been re developed and are worth quite a bit of money. Some parts of Mirrabooka are really nice and some other parts have $750,000+ homes in them (sure there is probably an older area that needs a bit of polishing up).
Yeah, okay, it's not as bad as it used to be and is continually improving. But for me, thinking as a newcomer, it might still be a bit unsettling to live in. Especially if you come from some sleepy little village.

I will correct myself and say "best to avoid northern part of Nollamara". We've been looking at investment properties, some cheap house to rent out and only a few months ago, we saw a couple of fairly rundown houses in northern Nollamara with broken windows and one house was next door to a house with somebody passed out on the unkempt front lawn, beer bottle still gripped in his hand, at noon. The real estate agent looked a bit embarrassed and said the area still had a ways to go but was definitely "up and coming". Okay for investment, for those who are well aware of what's going on, but not for a newcomer, fresh off the boat, to live in. A bit of a shock I would think.

I throw Mirrabooka in there as well, from a mother of teenagers point of view. The high school is a bit rough with some rough types and kids from gangs. They don't bother most other kids but some kids find them a bit unsettling. This, I hear, from teacher friends. One is a part-time substitute teacher who has found Mirrabooka a bit scary. I believe in a school environment void of fear or intimidation to enhance the learning experience. My kids would not thrive in such a school. They're not wimps or nerds, just a little sheltered from some of the harsh realities of the world of dysfunctional families and their tough kids.

Personally, myself, I would not avoid Balga. It does have a bad reputation from years back. I lived there when I was a kid and when I was in my early 20's I moved back for 3 1/2 years and never had any problems. We purchased two rental properties back in 1993 and have just sold the second one. The first one we had a few problems with break ins, but the second not a problem at all. It is like most areas, there will always be breakins somewhere.
True, Balga is improving and the breakin rate has dropped but it is still on the high side comparatively. Also Balga Senior High School is known as the roughest high school north of the river, with cops being called in sometimes. It's just not improved enough for me. Certainly not as a parent of kids.

There are so many areas in Perth to choose from, why choose a suburb which has more problems than others? I'd give Balga a few more years yet. So we'll have to agree to disagree.

Good luck,

Helena
Old Oct 30th 2002, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

The places we have been considering are: Ocean Reef, Sorrento, Kallaroo, Whitfords, Mullaloo, North Beach, Edgewater and Marmion. We would ideally like to live near the beach. The other thing we do have to consider is that we are taking our cats with us, so the place will have to allow for animals. I have been looking at the Reiwa website and we are looking at anything up to about $300 a week.
Rent of up to $300/wk is do-able in all the suburbs you've listed, even in the more expensive ones like North Beach, Marmion and Sorrento. The place might just be a bit older and smaller, or a unit or a townhouse versus a bigger house but still possible. You decrease your number of options with pets but it's not impossible. You'd probably have more of a chance in a house versus a townhouse, villa or unit with a pet. For $300/wk you will be able to rent something bigger and newer the further north you go.

If you're looking to buy eventually, North Beach, Marmion and Sorrento will be the priciest. It would be hard to find a house (3 or 4 bdrms) for less than the low $300k range. This will be an older home, a cottage perhaps, or something built in the 70's and in need of a lot of updating. It'll get cheaper the further you go north. For the same price you'll get something larger and newer and in need of less work.

btw: there is no suburb of Whitfords so I'm assuming you mean Hillarys. There's a shopping centre there called Whitford City and Whitfords Avenue borders the north part of Hillarys.

They're all good suburbs. All along the beach, which you've stated you want to live near. You should stick to what you want so you're happiest. Living near the beach has the advantage of the afternoon seabreezes. They're lovely on those very hot days. They eventually reach inner suburbs but they seem to warm up along the way. I also love having access to the dual-use pathway that runs along the coast. Great for running, cycling, walking the dog. We enjoy doing all that and it's an important part of our lifestyle and exercise routine.

The Saturday West Australian has a Real Estate section. It'll list many houses for sale, as well as a "To Let" section in the back. The Sunday Times also has a Real Estate section. Also, if you go around to local real estate agents, they'll have some rentals they manage and will show you. These places aren't always advertised in the paper.

Can anyone recommend some good B&B's in the Perth Area to atay in. When I was there last year, I stayed in hostels and I don't fancy doing that with all our cases!

Thanks
I'll look into the B&B thing. If you do a websearch, you might find places that way.

Good luck,

Helena
Old Oct 30th 2002, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Perth Helena
Yeah, okay, it's not as bad as it used to be and is continually improving. But for me, thinking as a newcomer, it might still be a bit unsettling to live in. Especially if you come from some sleepy little village.

I will correct myself and say "best to avoid northern part of Nollamara". We've been looking at investment properties, some cheap house to rent out and only a few months ago, we saw a couple of fairly rundown houses in northern Nollamara with broken windows and one house was next door to a house with somebody passed out on the unkempt front lawn, beer bottle still gripped in his hand, at noon. The real estate agent looked a bit embarrassed and said the area still had a ways to go but was definitely "up and coming". Okay for investment, for those who are well aware of what's going on, but not for a newcomer, fresh off the boat, to live in. A bit of a shock I would think.

I throw Mirrabooka in there as well, from a mother of teenagers point of view. The high school is a bit rough with some rough types and kids from gangs. They don't bother most other kids but some kids find them a bit unsettling. This, I hear, from teacher friends. One is a part-time substitute teacher who has found Mirrabooka a bit scary. I believe in a school environment void of fear or intimidation to enhance the learning experience. My kids would not thrive in such a school. They're not wimps or nerds, just a little sheltered from some of the harsh realities of the world of dysfunctional families and their tough kids.

True, Balga is improving and the breakin rate has dropped but it is still on the high side comparatively. Also Balga Senior High School is known as the roughest high school north of the river, with cops being called in sometimes. It's just not improved enough for me. Certainly not as a parent of kids.

There are so many areas in Perth to choose from, why choose a suburb which has more problems than others? I'd give Balga a few more years yet. So we'll have to agree to disagree.

Good luck,

Helena
I understand your point of view. I guess if I was a newcomer I would feel the same way. I guess because I lived in Perth for over 20 years I know pretty well what goes on there. I came and saw someone passed out on the door step, I would have put the pedal to the metal and been out of there. MIrrabooka and Balga High Schools have always been a bit of a problem along with Girrawheen High. My house is in Marangaroo, just 5 minutes walk from GSHS and I have never had a prob and either have any of my neighbours, but the posher side of Marangaroo (around the golf course area) have a higher crime rate. I also lived in Mirrabooka for about 9 months before moving back to Balga in a new 4 x 2 home (in a newer area-obviously) and that is what I mean by there are a few different areas to each suburb. Not far from there in the last few years they have all these new fancy "Expensive" homes. So I guess for a new comer, it is very understandable for the way you feel.
BTW when you get settled in your home, if you don't max yourself out on the price, you may want to look into buying a property in Nollamara or Balga. That is where we have made our money. We walked out with $75,000 (well settles next month) from the property we just sold in Balga. If you are into that sort of thing, it is well worth looking at before it is all redeveloped.
Old Oct 30th 2002, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

I understand your point of view. I guess if I was a newcomer I would feel the same way. I guess because I lived in Perth for over 20 years I know pretty well what goes on there. I came and saw someone passed out on the door step, I would have put the pedal to the metal and been out of there. MIrrabooka and Balga High Schools have always been a bit of a problem along with Girrawheen High. My house is in Marangaroo, just 5 minutes walk from GSHS and I have never had a prob and either have any of my neighbours, but the posher side of Marangaroo (around the golf course area) have a higher crime rate. I also lived in Mirrabooka for about 9 months before moving back to Balga in a new 4 x 2 home (in a newer area-obviously) and that is what I mean by there are a few different areas to each suburb. Not far from there in the last few years they have all these new fancy "Expensive" homes. So I guess for a new comer, it is very understandable for the way you feel.
BTW when you get settled in your home, if you don't max yourself out on the price, you may want to look into buying a property in Nollamara or Balga. That is where we have made our money. We walked out with $75,000 (well settles next month) from the property we just sold in Balga. If you are into that sort of thing, it is well worth looking at before it is all redeveloped.
Old Oct 30th 2002, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

I hate that, when I hit the stop button and it still posts the message
Old Oct 30th 2002, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

aussie bloke is on a distinguished road

site with perth B+Bs
http://babs.com.au/wa.htm
warm and clear here today
Old Oct 30th 2002, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by aussie bloke
site with perth B+Bs
http://babs.com.au/wa.htm
warm and clear here today
Thank you for this site, it is really useful.
Old Oct 30th 2002, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by suebo
You can get Ocean reef for around the $200 mark. That is for a 4x2. Could not find anything in Sorrento, but that is a pricy suburb. If you are going to go as far in as Edgewater, you may also want to try Currambine or Joondalup. They are only around a 5 - 10 minute drive to the beach, but have better access to public transport. I really think that Sorrento and North Beach would be out of your price range unless you want a unit. I may be wrong as I can't find any rentals on line for those burbs. Another thing, when is your furniture arriving or do you have to buy new. The rentals will be unfurnished. The only B & B I could find was in an area called HighGate (I think) It is just north of Perth (about a 15-20 min walk into city) called Pensions of Perth. Not sure what it is like but looks nice, not cheap either http://www.interbed.com.au/pensionperth.htm

You can also try this link for added info on suburbs in Perth http://www.aussiemove.com/

There are also B & B's around the Sorrento area. If you would like web addresses for them let me know

Thanks for your help. I would like info on Sorrento B&B's. Are all rental places unfurnished? We do have furniture, but had thought about leaving it in store until we bought our house at the end of the year. Is Joondalup a nice area. We have looked at some houses on the web there and they look quite nice and within our price range.
Old Oct 30th 2002, 12:08 pm
saoirse

Call me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE moving to Perth

We stayed in serviced appartments in Scarborough for the first ten days after we arrived, not a place I'd live, but close to Northern suburbs you mention and good price as there's plenty to choose from. More flexability than a B&B too. This gave us time to find a furnished place which would accept our dog, not much to choose from though, much better to go unfurnished if poss. Joondalup is a nice place, not exactly on the coast but not too far, seem to be reasonable house prices there. Very, Very quiet though, almost like a model village at weekends, lots of shops/ restaurants but no people!! May be better during the week.
Old Oct 30th 2002, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your help. I would like info on Sorrento B&B's. Are all rental places unfurnished? We do have furniture, but had thought about leaving it in store until we bought our house at the end of the year. Is Joondalup a nice area. We have looked at some houses on the web there and they look quite nice and within our price range.
Not familiar what these places are like, but prices a little more reasonable http://interhotel.com/australia/en/l...des/20235.html

Joondalup is a nice area. It has a huge shopping centre, Movie Theatres, A great pub called "THE OLD BAILEY", a hospital a few parks, fitness centre, indoor pools. The train runs right through Joondalup and usually it will take around 25 - 30 mins to get to the city. It is only about a 5 - 10 min drive to the beach.

It will be very hard to find a place that is furnished, they are very very rare. You would probably be best off shipping your furniture over asap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.