Reload this Page >

Moving To Oz from the UK

Moving To Oz from the UK

Old Dec 26th 2009, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

bones221986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving To Oz from the UK

Hello people,

I'm a electrician in the uk working in industry over here and am looking to move to WA sometime in the future i been looking for work out there but need to know more about the licensing system.

Also my partner is looking to move with me, she has a trade as a chef but is looking to change that will she have problems finding work out there?????

Then there is my 2 pet cats will they be able to come along too or not???

Any information or stories you can give me about difficulties or any other things i need to know would be appreciated

Thanks

Anthony
Old Dec 26th 2009, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

TheSun is just really niceTheSun is just really niceTheSun is just really niceTheSun is just really niceTheSun is just really niceTheSun is just really niceTheSun is just really niceTheSun is just really nice
Default Re: Moving To Oz from the UK

Originally Posted by bones221986
Hello people,

I'm a electrician in the uk working in industry over here and am looking to move to WA sometime in the future i been looking for work out there but need to know more about the licensing system.

Also my partner is looking to move with me, she has a trade as a chef but is looking to change that will she have problems finding work out there?????

Any information or stories you can give me about difficulties or any other things i need to know would be appreciated

Thanks

Anthony
First of all, have you been here before?
If not, come out and have a look around to see if you think its worth it. Being a sparks is one of the worst trades when it comes to licencing -they make you jump through hoops, which is a total insult when you see the standard of the work out here.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 12:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello people,

Thanks

Anthony
What visa are you planning to come on? Do you qualify for a visa? www.immi.gov.au
Old Dec 27th 2009, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at this part of the forum for all sparky enquiries!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

Plenty of threads on shipping animals across, try using the advanced search facility.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

6 years worth of advice distilled..(!)

Just a tip mate. Noone says Oz in Australia unless you work in the backpacker industry.

Come and give it a go...

buyer beware...take heed of advice. Personally - I would ask for your motives.

If you are another unsettled Little Englander - don't bother coming..if your grudge is against Mr Brown - don't bother.

If having a larger house 'lifestyle' etc really counts then this might be the best thing you have ever done.

Carve out your own niche and it might be the best thing you have ever done.

If none of the above apply - you are close to your family etc - the pub - have no history of working or living away from home, you are decidedly 'average' - don't bother.

It can be hard for many, and the rewards come. It can be harder for others - with no reward at all. For others it is easy and it is no fuss.

Your move - and a Happy New Year..
Old Dec 27th 2009, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
6 years worth of advice distilled..(!)

Just a tip mate. Noone says Oz in Australia unless you work in the backpacker industry.

Come and give it a go...

buyer beware...take heed of advice. Personally - I would ask for your motives.

If you are another unsettled Little Englander - don't bother coming..if your grudge is against Mr Brown - don't bother.

If having a larger house 'lifestyle' etc really counts then this might be the best thing you have ever done.

Carve out your own niche and it might be the best thing you have ever done.

If none of the above apply - you are close to your family etc - the pub - have no history of working or living away from home, you are decidedly 'average' - don't bother.

It can be hard for many, and the rewards come. It can be harder for others - with no reward at all. For others it is easy and it is no fuss.

Your move - and a Happy New Year..
Great Answer.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

bones221986 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advise so far,

I apologize for calling Australia, Oz

I have been thinking for a few years about moving out to Australia for a lot of years and am looking for advice from people that have done it already.

I have family already out there and has lived in Australia more years than they lived in the UK.

But If there is anymore information people can give me it would be a great help.

Thanks
Old Dec 28th 2009, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Taryn is just really niceTaryn is just really niceTaryn is just really niceTaryn is just really niceTaryn is just really niceTaryn is just really niceTaryn is just really niceTaryn is just really niceTaryn is just really nice

I have been thinking for a few years about moving out to Australia for a lot of years and am looking for advice from people that have done it already.

I have family already out there and has lived in Australia more years than they lived in the UK.

But If there is anymore information people can give me it would be a great help.

Thanks
Hiya,

Im Australian and i call Australia Oz...

I grew up in Australia but got all of my qualifications in the Uk.....i just moved back to Perth on Saturday!!!

I was a signal tech for the railway and have been told over here i need to be an electrician as well......So i am looking for similar information. Going on a hunt later on this week to see who i can speak to.

If i can find out anything i will let you know but there are a few other threads on this forum that tell you more.

Taryn
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:56 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Did you read the link I gave you? Do you in fact qualify for a visa? Not everyone does. No use in finding out where good schools are or what the cost of living is if you won't be able to migrate anyway.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 10:40 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hello people,

Thanks

Anthony

hi there loads of info re sparkies, licencing etc in the sparkies forum
but with the rules changing so often ( of late ) its hard to keep up with the latest information so i`d suggest that you ask a proffesional such as allen collet ( do a search on here ) of geroge lombard
http://www.gomatilda.com/contact.cfm#appraisal

best of luck

regards steve
Old Dec 29th 2009, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Dorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really nice

As Steve so rightly says, there are a lot of changes going on not least in WA. In your field, railway signalling, I would look at some of the big companies. United have a load of un-Oz-qualified sparkies working on projects at the moment who are supervised by a qualified one. However, why not look at some of the companies that employ signalling staff. Rio seem to have gone away from everyone needing a licence.

How WA is going to solve the problems of the number of sparkies it needs for things like Gorgon, no one knows!!

Hope that helps
Old Dec 29th 2009, 6:14 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Thanks
Its alot easier calling it' OZ', ' Australia' has too many letters in it when you are typing.