British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/moving-oz-think-very-carefully-554313/)

Tableland Aug 14th 2008 1:27 pm

Re: Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

im sorry but some people dont really get what is happening in england at the moment so i will enlighten you.
Hi Dyson

Just to enlighten you a little:

1. the econemy has gone down hill so all wages will now stay the same for the next 3 years
The Australian economy is going south the same as most countries inthe world. It's a global recession.

2. no one can afford houses to be built or to buy one that is on the market as intrest rates are stupid
Not only are Australian house prices less affordable than even British ones, I notice with some mirth that you are heading to Perth and it's been a long old time since Perth was cheap.

3. interest rates have even stopped people having alterations and extentions on there houses as no money will be lent out.
Despite the RBAs whining about cuts, rises are on the way sooner or later, and that's bad because right now Australian interest rates are higher than UK ones, and usually are.

5. the big one the weather we have had 4 good days in what is called the english rivera not really happening to be fair where is the attraction in that.
I'll give you that one. I think some Brits in Australia honestly forget what it's like not to feel the sun on you for 30 consecutive days and have a summer with highs of 20. I'm putting my electric blanket in the bed this weekend because I am fed up with it being so damp and cold. It's August.

Mikeyc Aug 14th 2008 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by xzibit (Post 6679458)
As someone who is moving to Australia to just experience living in another country as they really liked it on previous visits and isn't expecting it to be heaven, will I be ok?

I'm not expecting life to be any better, apart from the weather being nicer in the summer, and see it as experience.

*Awaits for somebody in oz to put a downer on the above* :p

You’ll be very happy.

You want good weather with lots of sunshine, beaches, and a different experience, then you’ll definitely get that! The nightlife is better here too (I find anyway, lol)

It’s the people coming here who think they will work less and buy more, can sleep with their doors open etc etc who are in for the shock

Mikey

DunRoaminTheUK Aug 14th 2008 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Tableland (Post 6679495)
Hi Dyson

Just to enlighten you a little:

The Australian economy is going south the same as most countries inthe world. It's a global recession.

Not only are Australian house prices less affordable than even British ones, I notice with some mirth that you are heading to Perth and it's been a long old time since Perth was cheap.

Despite the RBAs whining about cuts, rises are on the way sooner or later, and that's bad because right now Australian interest rates are higher than UK ones, and usually are.

I'll give you that one. I think some Brits in Australia honestly forget what it's like not to feel the sun on you for 30 consecutive days and have a summer with highs of 20. I'm putting my electric blanket in the bed this weekend because I am fed up with it being so damp and cold. It's August.

Hmmmm?

I wasn't aware that there we are now in the grip of an official 'global recession'?

Also, house prices in Perth are now plummeting.

And...there has been the strongest indication yet (from the RBA) that interest rate cuts are not far away.

spartacus Aug 14th 2008 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK (Post 6679512)
Hmmmm?

I wasn't aware that there we are now in the grip of an official 'global recession'?

And...there has been the strongest indication yet (from the RBA) that interest rate cuts are not far away.

Yup.

So to paraphrase. For all those thinking of coming to Perth, its a great time. When you arrive, play the long game in the housing market, wait 12-18 months and then screw over a couple of poms who want out because they simply can't stand the local conditions any longer.

Tableland Aug 14th 2008 1:38 pm

[QUOTE=DunRoaminTheUK;6679512]Hmmmm?

US about to go intp recession, BOE governor Mervyn King warned just yesterday the UK is on the verge of a recession, France and Germany economies both contracting, and 50% off Shanghai Composite in last 12 months. Global recession is on its way.

Because of above point.

Australian core inflation at nearly a 20 year high, and employment rising faster than expected, and the RBA wants to cut rates to keep a housing bubble from going POP, when its mandate is to control inflation.

Talk about greed.

xzibit Aug 14th 2008 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Mikeyc (Post 6679500)
You’ll be very happy.

You want good weather with lots of sunshine, beaches, and a different experience, then you’ll definitely get that! The nightlife is better here too (I find anyway, lol)

It’s the people coming here who think they will work less and buy more, can sleep with their doors open etc etc who are in for the shock

Mikey

I've spent lots of time with family and friends who live there, and I know that they work just as much as we do here. My Aunt doesn't often get in till 9pm, even though her shift finishes at 7. (nurse)

I don't expect to be handed anything on a plate, to have an easier life of anything.

Good to know that I'm not setting my expectations too high!! :rofl:

Tableland Aug 14th 2008 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 6679528)
Yup.

So to paraphrase. For all those thinking of coming to Perth, its a great time. When you arrive, play the long game in the housing market, wait 12-18 months and then screw over a couple of poms who want out because they simply can't stand the local conditions any longer.

Good advice, frankly.

spartacus Aug 14th 2008 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Tableland (Post 6679533)
Good advice, frankly.

I know I'm full of it.

dyson99 Aug 14th 2008 1:43 pm

right lets set this straight.

i wasnt saying perth was any better than england i was putting forward my reasons for leaving england. if you noticed i am 26 years old single and a bricklayer. all i want is a better life.

i know australia isnt cheap as i have been many times i like austrlia better than england i love the beach and what there is to do there. i love being in the heat and im sure i can put up with your winters as you say it goes down to 10 and maybe some frost sometimes. that isnt gonna bother someone who works outside in england in a easterly gale for those of you that know what this is a freezing cold wind.

if you read the statement before it says people whay are you leaving australia to come back to england if its the same as oz but you have a better lifestyle and climate to keep you happy.

i play alot of rugby at a good level i love watching and playing cricket and love to be out and about now this is the life i want and i will do anything to get it. i9m willing to work hard to get anywhere in this world and really i want to be in australia. i have people tyo help me though and i know exactly what im doing.

thanks for all the comments i gave them alot of thought but i know what im doing and cant wait to get there.

see you folks soon

Tableland Aug 14th 2008 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by dyson99 (Post 6679543)

i wasnt saying perth was any better than england i was putting forward my reasons for leaving england. if you noticed i am 26 years old single and a bricklayer. all i want is a better life.

i know australia isnt cheap as i have been many times i like austrlia better than england i love the beach and what there is to do there. i love being in the heat and im sure i can put up with your winters as you say it goes down to 10 and maybe some frost sometimes. that isnt gonna bother someone who works outside in england in a easterly gale for those of you that know what this is a freezing cold wind.

if you read the statement before it says people whay are you leaving australia to come back to england if its the same as oz but you have a better lifestyle and climate to keep you happy.

i play alot of rugby at a good level i love watching and playing cricket and love to be out and about now this is the life i want and i will do anything to get it. i9m willing to work hard to get anywhere in this world and really i want to be in australia. i have people tyo help me though and i know exactly what im doing.

thanks for all the comments i gave them alot of thought but i know what im doing and cant wait to get there.

see you folks soon

So long as you get a good job, I think you will love Australia and you are doing the right thing. That's what I think.

spartacus Aug 14th 2008 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by dyson99 (Post 6679543)

see you folks soon

Good on ya son!

You tell em!

dyson99 Aug 14th 2008 1:48 pm

oh sorry i forgot to mention that im a semi pro rugby player who loves sport and outdoor life and a bricklayer with a sponsored job for the next 4 years!!!!!!

spartacus Aug 14th 2008 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by dyson99 (Post 6679556)
oh sorry i forgot to mention that im a semi pro rugby player who loves sport and outdoor life and a bricklayer with a sponsored job for the next 4 years!!!!!!

HaHa!

They don't like it up 'em!

katsmajic Aug 14th 2008 2:12 pm

I keep peering over my rose tinted glasses and im still liking what i see...despite -

the weather is pretty lousy, ok its adelaide and its winter, but were setting a record of crappest weather since records started. I can not wait til summer, i promise not to moan about the heat ;)

it is expensive here, some things are dirt cheap, but the usual essentials are expensive, food shopping has gone up in the 4mths weve been here, fuel went up 30c pl in 3mths, its just gone back down that 30c but for how long??
basically most bills are comparitive to the uk so its not a cheap paradise...

there are gangs/drugs here, i havnt had any hassles personally but my teenagers say its rife, when they have their sensible heads on they hang round with nice kids, when they turn into muppets they go round with ferals.

job vacancies advertised are not always genuine, and the vast majority do not respond to you, and those saying wage negotiable are liars, yes we all come here because OZ has a skills shortage - well it doesnt mean you are going to walk into your dream job with fab wages.

even state schools cost money, junior schools are pretty cheap but it gets expensive at senior school level, taking into account the costs of additionals such as PE, outdoor ed, any VET (similar to nvq) course etc.

the positives are that even in winter we can have bbq's, we walk on the beach, we can still plan days out, our 10 yr old can walk to school on her own, we can walk the streets at night and feel safe, (as long as its before the hoons come out) the aussies we have met and befriended are lovely people, sport is easy to find and when watching people will happily strike up conversations etc, even in job crisis situations there are always jobs out there. maybe not the job you want but its a job. the schooling here IMO at our childrens schools is great,
we have settled really well, we love it here, we have slipped into aussie life very quickly and easily, we have hiccups but no regrets.

ps - australia have 100000s more sheep then nz...
& i love rugby, wish i could still play, the standards here are hit n miss i must say but i still love watching.

Mikeyc Aug 14th 2008 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by katsmajic (Post 6679647)

ps - australia have 100000s more sheep then nz...

But doesnt NZ have more sheep than people? lol

Mikey