Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to OZ, I am in a bit of a pickle.

Moving to OZ, I am in a bit of a pickle.

Old Jan 12th 2004, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Phil_n is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to OZ, I am in a bit of a pickle.

Hi there,

I have been planning my move to OZ for like, 10 years now, ( I am 26). I have been there a few times on holiday etc and loved it so much, Perth was my main choice of destination although I have travelled all around WA and NT.

I have been to one of those Fairs for people who wish to move to OZ and was extremely disapointed when I was repeatedlt told I would have no chance of being to emmigrate.

They said it was down to my job history, which goes as follows.

I worked as an IT technician from 1999 to 2002, I have a few qualifications like my Microsoft Certified Profesional cert for windows 2000, a Server Hardware configuration diploma, Various programming qualifications for Visual basic 6 and C++ and I also have my A+ certificate in Hardware and software.

Then at the end of 2002 I decided to go into shopfitting as I needed the cash quickly to buy an old cottage I had seen so I could modernise it.
I have since been working on and off between IT and the Construction industry. (I have no qualifications in construction).

I have now setup my own Joinery/building company, which is doing really well all ready.

Can any one help me here, I am in total dispare at the thought of not being able to live in my dream country. :scared:

Thank you.

Phil
Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:05 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moving to OZ, I am in a bit of a pickle.

Originally posted by Phil_n
Hi there,

I have been planning my move to OZ for like, 10 years now, ( I am 26). I have been there a few times on holiday etc and loved it so much, Perth was my main choice of destination although I have travelled all around WA and NT.

I have been to one of those Fairs for people who wish to move to OZ and was extremely disapointed when I was repeatedlt told I would have no chance of being to emmigrate.

I worked as an IT technician from 1999 to 2002, I have a few qualifications like my Microsoft Certified Profesional cert for windows 2000, a Server Hardware configuration diploma, Various programming qualifications for Visual basic 6 and C++ and I also have my A+ certificate in Hardware and software.

Then at the end of 2002 I decided to go into shopfitting as I needed the cash quickly to buy an old cottage I had seen so I could modernise it.
I have since been working on and off between IT and the Construction industry. (I have no qualifications in construction).

I have now setup my own Joinery/building company, which is doing really well all ready.

Can any one help me here, I am in total dispare at the thought of not being able to live in my dream country. :scared:

Thank you.

Phil
New Regional Skilled Visa Announced
Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:10 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thank you.

Phil
hiya phil
think you have a much better chance of getting into oz as a chippy/builder than working in IT.
as many will tell you, and as you probably know through looking at DIMIas website, you need a good few years experience in your trade to pass the points test, so why not spend the next 3 or 4 years building up your business, get yourself as much variety of work as possible and apply when you have that under your belt? At 26 you are hardly passed your sell by date!!, so dont give up hope. Many on here who undergo the TRA dont have formal qualifications in their trade, but have worked hard and learnt as they go along - you would be in the same position 3 or 4 years from now.
If you arent prepared to wait 3 or 4 years your only other hope is finding yourself an aussie girlfriend who wants to marry you!!!!!

Good luck

sue
Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Tiredwithtwins.
lol's thanks for the advice on the Aussie Girlfriend, But My UKGirlfriend wouldn't be to happy about that. :lecture:

I really can't believe that I will have more chance of getting into OZ as a chippy/builder. The impression I got from the advisors at the immigration fair was that I needed to concentrate on IT to have any chance.

I am glad though as the construction industry is a much easier and less stressfull way of making a living at the minute.

Thanks for that, you have put my mind to rest. I dont mind waiting another 3 years or so, I have waited 10 all ready. Plus I am going for another holiday in september.

Megalania
Thank you, I will have a good read through it and see where I stand.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:24 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

I'm no expert but one suggestion is why not look at the business visa route. It costs more I believe and you need some cash behind you I believe but you could start your business again in Perth and if successful end up employing aussies sufficient to meet the conditions of the scheme. There seemed to be lots of people in Oz which had taken this route so it may be a possibility rather than worrying about the points system and jumping through hoops.

Hi there,

Thank you.

Phil
Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Hi dugongs,
I did think about that route, but I am still young and inexperienced.
I think as tiredwithtwins said my best option is to wat a while until my business is up and running. Then maybe I could employ some one over here to look after it for me while I start another in OZ. Which in reality would be perfect.

WHat I am thinking now is I wasted 2 years of eduction in IT when I could have been working in the construction industry, I thought it would have been better for me getting into OZ. Bu then maybe it was back then. lol

Thanks dugongs
Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:34 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Hi dugongs,
I did think about that route, but I am still young and inexperienced.
I think as tiredwithtwins said my best option is to wat a while until my business is up and running. Then maybe I could employ some one over here to look after it for me while I start another in OZ. Which in reality would be perfect.

WHat I am thinking now is I wasted 2 years of eduction in IT when I could have been working in the construction industry, I thought it would have been better for me getting into OZ. Bu then maybe it was back then. lol

Thanks dugongs

Phil,
theres no reason why you cant go into IT once you are over there!!! Its the skills for getting the visa that you need to concentrate on....keep your finger in the IT pie (??), you can always restart that bit of your career when you have that yellow sticker in your passport!! Not sure if you would then have to have your IT qualifications assessed, but its the skills for getting the visa that are important now!!
No education/experience is ever wasted - you are showing yourself as a multiskilled, flexible worker who isnt afraid of change! (just done an interview technique course, can you tell??)

sue
Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Erm why no not at all. you would never tell.

lol, I will keep in with the IT side of it, I have to really as I still get the odd good contract that I just can't turn down.
I have just had a look to see if I can get myself qualified for the job I am doing. Like a site management course or joinery course etc. And yet what is available to some one who works 7 days a week 12 hours a day away from home. Nothing unless you can do these courses via correspondence, which i doubt. Can you imagine a window frame turning up in the post for my assignment.
lol, well, it could happen.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Erm why no not at all. you would never tell.

lol, I will keep in with the IT side of it, I have to really as I still get the odd good contract that I just can't turn down.
I have just had a look to see if I can get myself qualified for the job I am doing. Like a site management course or joinery course etc. And yet what is available to some one who works 7 days a week 12 hours a day away from home. Nothing unless you can do these courses via correspondence, which i doubt. Can you imagine a window frame turning up in the post for my assignment.
lol, well, it could happen.
If you saw the programme moving downunder - to Perth a couple of weeks a go, the husband was a site manager in uk but his experience wasn''t recognised in oz so he ended up working as a brick layer- less pay.
I was also going to suggest you going the business route... someone beat me to it. A t least you are well within the age to appy for PR.. My problem is that I'm over the age- boo hoo - so have be more creative in finding a way there! lol
Helinuk
Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi Helinuk

I didn't see the program, my girlfriend told me about it though. I wouldn't mind the drop in wages.
My Dad used to Work in OZ for the Geraldton Building company when it used to be just him and a few other guys.
He has kept in touch with his friends over there and they still work for them, which may be good for me. I am hoping that I may be able to go over there and start work for them, or Start up my own company. Starting up on my own in a strange country is a very scary thought though. :scared:

I am a little happier now, I should go back to that fair and tell them they don't know what they are talking about.
I have spent all my time since the fair looking around in here and found that they ARE completely wrong in the advice that they gave me.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

On another note, I have a post in here to ask if my father can get his australian passport back.

Why didn't I think of this before, It looks like "if" he can get his passport back I may be able to apply for citizenship by decent.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

On another note, I have a post in here to ask if my father can get his australian passport back.

Why didn't I think of this before, It looks like "if" he can get his passport back I may be able to apply for citizenship by decent.
That sounds like an interesting avenue to take .Would your father do that for you? Might cost you?!
H.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Yeah he would, I have already asked him and he is going to call the australian embassy tomorrow. It would be good if I could explore that avenue but I am not building my hopes on it.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 3:18 pm
WBB

Yeah he would, I have already asked him and he is going to call the australian embassy tomorrow. It would be good if I could explore that avenue but I am not building my hopes on it.

i think you may be too old for citizenship by descent, we just had our kids done and i'm sure the max age is 21.

Old Jan 12th 2004, 3:28 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Hi Phil,

Like other have said as you are only 26 you have time on your hands. I would try if you can you get on a Bricklaying course or something similar at your local college and get a trade, my hubby did his City & Guild Mechanics day release whilst working at home on the Farm. It is not something that will happen overnight but if you plan to perhaps be ready for migrating when you are 30 that gives you 4 years to get your qualifications. Experience doesn't have to be only gained post qualification it can be counted from before as well.

Good Luck I am sure you will suceed

Susan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.