Moving to Oz

Old Mar 1st 2013, 10:32 am
Just Joined

charleyrogan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Oz

Originally Posted by Grayling
Is this all just a wind up?
No! I am sorry if you think it is. I haven't had long to get stuff together, got the job a week ago and fly on 20th march, so i just wanted to ask people directly what i would definitely need or what i should bring!
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive Grayling, he's always on the lookout for someone to "wind up"

SQ is a good airline so you're in good hands. Stay hydrated through out the flight with non alcoholic drinks if possible. Changi Airport is a good place for a stop when you wait for the SIN to Brisbane leg.

If you're bringing food just make sure you declare everything on arrival in Australia otherwise you'll be fined & the item maybe taken off you. Yes, imported things are expensive here, usually double what you would pay in UK. M&S delivers with a 15 Pound postage charge and also Next. No idea what the "shopping scene" is in Brisbane as not based there.

Good luck!
Old Mar 1st 2013, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleyrogan

Random question, can i bring hp brown sauce in my checked luggage? I have seen that they have British shops but i am not paying £5-6 for sauce!

What are prices like for sun tan lotion? Should i buy in England or is it cheaper in oz?
HP sauce is available in all supermarkets. You don't have to buy it in a 'British' food shop - or bring it with you. It costs $3.20 in Woolies - it's nonsense that you have to pay £5-6.

And sun block is not expensive. You can buy vats of the stuff - 1 litre pump packs cost less than $15.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 1:06 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Is this all just a wind up?
I reckon, ffs the lass is a scouser, just bring jarmies and ugg boots add sun voila instant qld'er.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 2:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya, I'm new to the forum!

I'm from Liverpool in England and I'm 23, and have accepted a job as an Au Pair in Brisbane

I was wondering what sort of things I will miss or can only buy in England, so I can take them with me, and what kind of things are different in Oz compared to here e.g. culture

I have a 24 hour flight, which is gonna be grim and flying with Singapore Airways. Do they have a good reputation?

Sorry for all the quetions
Hi Charley and welcome to BE. Unless you absolutely can't live without something, don't bring food to Australia. It'll most likely get confiscated by Customs and anyway. HP sauce is available in every supermarket and it won't cost much more than in the UK, certainly nowhere near 5 or 6 quid.

Do you mind if I ask how you got a nanny/au pair job in Australia? Is your employer sponsoring you?
Old Mar 1st 2013, 2:27 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi Charley and welcome to BE. Unless you absolutely can't live without something, don't bring food to Australia. It'll most likely get confiscated by Customs and anyway. HP sauce is available in every supermarket and it won't cost much more than in the UK, certainly nowhere near 5 or 6 quid.

Do you mind if I ask how you got a nanny/au pair job in Australia? Is your employer sponsoring you?
Oh, and meant to say, I'm an Australian married to a Scouser so happy to answer any 'cultural' questions - such as you'll have to repeat yourself 3 times when you ask for something in a shop, or you'll get something completely different We live in Perth, which is just about as far away from Brisbane as you can get. Whereabouts in Liverpool are you from? Bill my husband) is from Bootle.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lesleys
or hola.org

We're using it and it's so easy.
FilmOn runs all major UK programs (not SKY) plus loads more, without the need for IP hiding such as Expat Shield, Hola or Astrill, and of course with the time difference - UK/OZ, being able to record direct, you can go to bed and you won't have to use BBC iPlayer Desktop! Check it out now before you leave.
Also if you haven't done it, connect your computer to your TV using an HDMI or VGA cable!

Last edited by Saxy; Mar 1st 2013 at 2:35 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Does it get cold in Brisbane in the winter?
3 degrees here last year. And most houses are poorly insulated and have little or no heating. Quite common to put extra layers ON when going indoors!!
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kelli28
I reckon, ffs the lass is a scouser, just bring jarmies and ugg boots add sun voila instant qld'er.
Just because I am from Liverpool doesn't make me a chav! I am educated to degree level and not one of these doleys!

Last edited by charleyrogan; Mar 1st 2013 at 8:40 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Oh, and meant to say, I'm an Australian married to a Scouser so happy to answer any 'cultural' questions - such as you'll have to repeat yourself 3 times when you ask for something in a shop, or you'll get something completely different We live in Perth, which is just about as far away from Brisbane as you can get. Whereabouts in Liverpool are you from? Bill my husband) is from Bootle.
I'm from Crosby, so not city centre, and my accent isn't too scouse! I got it through a website on the net, my friends went to NZ by becoming an au pair and said it was amazing, so I thought I would try it too. I want to train as a teacher when I come back to England. I can only stay in Oz for 12 months on a working holiday visa and can work for 6 months for the same employer.

Last edited by charleyrogan; Mar 1st 2013 at 8:42 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya, I'm new to the forum!

I'm from Liverpool in England and I'm 23, and have accepted a job as an Au Pair in Brisbane

I was wondering what sort of things I will miss or can only buy in England, so I can take them with me, and what kind of things are different in Oz compared to here e.g. culture

I have a 24 hour flight, which is gonna be grim and flying with Singapore Airways. Do they have a good reputation?

Sorry for all the quetions
I really would not bother bringing any consumer goods that you think you might miss. If you are going to live here for 12 months you might as well just get used to the Australian product offering from day one. Anything you bring will soon run out and you will have to do that anyway.

Singapore Airlines are a popular airline. I flew with them once and was pretty indiffferent myself but that was a long time ago now.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 9:31 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I really would not bother bringing any consumer goods that you think you might miss. If you are going to live here for 12 months you might as well just get used to the Australian product offering from day one.
In that vein, ignore anything calling itself Marmite, or worse, Vegemite. Tis the excrement of satan himself. Instead you can find real Marmite on the "weirdo foreign foods" shelf at Coles, called "My Mate".

As far as phoning home, Skype or a similar VoIP service is recommended. Get a UK dial in number for your family/friends to use, but remind them of the time difference.

Phone wise, your unlocked UK mobile will work on the optus network - be aware that there are two network frequencies and your phone may not work on Telstra (which has better rural coverage and costs more).

Oh, and the usual advice given to emigrates, a multi-way extension strip is worth bringing. That way you replace the plug with an Oz one and you don't need umpteen adapters for your UK stuff.

There are as many manual cars as autos here, but if you are thinking to drive places on your time off, be aware that generally everything is a loooong way from everywhere else, and if you are looking to go distances cruise control is a godsend.

On a working holiday visa you should be entitled to medicare, but you may need to enrol - check it out.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

if you get Medicare, make sure you bring yr NI card as this will show you are a Brit (speeds things up)

Sunscreen is better bought here in Oz as the regulations of the SPF numbers are better controlled, etc

Most Coles and Woolworths (the 2 major supermkt chains in Oz) have a British area with British stuff like Iron Bru, Marmite, etc
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Saxy
FilmOn runs all major UK programs (not SKY) plus loads more, without the need for IP hiding such as Expat Shield, Hola or Astrill, and of course with the time difference - UK/OZ, being able to record direct, you can go to bed and you won't have to use BBC iPlayer Desktop! Check it out now before you leave.
Also if you haven't done it, connect your computer to your TV using an HDMI or VGA cable!
Hi

i had never heard of these

are they any good ?? also i have seen that if you subscribe they have a sports channel

does anyone use this to watch the footy back home and can you record it ?

thank you
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GarryP
Singapore have a good rep, get a top deck seat on the A380
I'm flying Singapore soon, how do I get a top deck seat? (I always check in as early as possible and there only seem to be the nasty seats in front of the loos free - what am I doing wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.