British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   moving to oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/moving-oz-150963/)

Tamara May 7th 2003 6:47 pm

moving to oz

hello everyone my name is mark and my wife is called tamara we have just recieved our visas and thinking of going to Sydney is there anyone out there who can tell us the nice places to live in sydney or any nice local suburbs. also what did you do when you first got to oz where did u stay ? we dont what to do when we get off the plane .

cazz May 7th 2003 6:52 pm

Hi Mark and Tamara I have been to Sydney a couple of times, it depends what you are looking for but Manly is a great area and if you have loads of money look at Mosman!!!

Cazz

karawara88 May 8th 2003 7:07 am

we dont know what to do when we get off the plane
Head for the exit. :rolleyes:

pommie bastard May 8th 2003 7:28 am

Originally posted by karawara88
Head for the exit. :rolleyes:
Must dash but I think you could have been living next to Grub another Cheshire person, they has to be a cure.
I shall drink to your recovery , the other will never be right.

:D :cool: :beer:

Sandra May 8th 2003 7:34 am

There are quite a few of us here in Sydney or on their way.

I take it there are only the two of you? So the advice seems to be get a furnished rental for a few weeks on a week by week basis and start looking for a flat sort of central. Take as short a lease as possible so you can change if you are not happy, cause you can get tied in with leases that can be expensive to get out of - what about furniture have you stuff coming over or starting from scratch.

Have a look on the net for serviced apartments in Sydney - the Waldorf usually have some - I am sure others can recommend as well. the hostels can be good. Do you have work to come to? Then you might have an area where you want to be near if not staying central on transport links is also a plan.

You might like to say some of the things you like to do - that can give people and idea of where to recommend, as above like the Beach then Manley and Bondi are definitely places - like the city, paddington and surrounds are good - like the boring burbs, the Upper North Shore and over to the Hills District would be good.

Anyway anything else specific you would like details on ask away I get super help from this forum and by the way welcome!

Cheers

yafm May 8th 2003 9:15 am

Read the 'anyone going to Sydney' thread there is an excellent web site shown on this thread with evrything you need best of luck

footie chick May 8th 2003 10:27 am

Best of luck to you both. Carry out searchs on the forum you are bound to find answers to all your questions.

Good luck

footie chick:)

Vee May 8th 2003 4:56 pm

Re: moving to oz

Originally posted by Tamara
hello everyone my name is mark and my wife is called tamara we have just recieved our visas and thinking of going to Sydney is there anyone out there who can tell us the nice places to live in sydney or any nice local suburbs. also what did you do when you first got to oz where did u stay ? we dont what to do when we get off the plane .
When hubby and I were living in Sydney for 7 months we stayed in Sutherland which is south of the City. It was pretty good...close to the Royal National Park and Cronella (spelling?) which has a lovely beach, good cafes etc. The houses were alright and the shops OK too. It was the people that we really liked - all very friendly and interested in what we had been doing, where we came from etc. Our neighbours were very friendly as well. The transportation to the City was very good too. I wouldn't move there again (we are heading for Qld when [if!] we get our visa) as it was quite suburby, but as far as suburbs go it was rather nice. The one thing I did notice though was that there weren't very many sidewalks (footpaths) which could be a bit annoying if you had a pram or small children walking.

Good luck with it all.

Dinky May 8th 2003 5:13 pm

Hi,
We're Sydneybound as well.
As for areas of Sydney consider all except the West! (inner west excepted!) South is great and we will be living there for a few months (Sylvania) before renting/buying a unit(flat). I like Bronti and Coogee on the coast. But Chatswood, Glebe(expensive but central) are good. North shore also worth looking at.
Cronulla done have a great couple of beaches and although about an hour and 20mins drive from the CBD is on the railway line.

Good luck and keep posting there are a lot of friendly helpful people on here- and very few mullets

Dinky