moving to oz

Old May 7th 2003, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Tamara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to oz

hello everyone my name is mark and my wife is called tamara we have just recieved our visas and thinking of going to Sydney is there anyone out there who can tell us the nice places to live in sydney or any nice local suburbs. also what did you do when you first got to oz where did u stay ? we dont what to do when we get off the plane .
Old May 7th 2003, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

cazz is on a distinguished road

Hi Mark and Tamara I have been to Sydney a couple of times, it depends what you are looking for but Manly is a great area and if you have loads of money look at Mosman!!!

Cazz
Old May 8th 2003, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

we dont know what to do when we get off the plane
Head for the exit.
Old May 8th 2003, 7:28 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by karawara88
Head for the exit.
Must dash but I think you could have been living next to Grub another Cheshire person, they has to be a cure.
I shall drink to your recovery , the other will never be right.

Old May 8th 2003, 7:34 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

There are quite a few of us here in Sydney or on their way.

I take it there are only the two of you? So the advice seems to be get a furnished rental for a few weeks on a week by week basis and start looking for a flat sort of central. Take as short a lease as possible so you can change if you are not happy, cause you can get tied in with leases that can be expensive to get out of - what about furniture have you stuff coming over or starting from scratch.

Have a look on the net for serviced apartments in Sydney - the Waldorf usually have some - I am sure others can recommend as well. the hostels can be good. Do you have work to come to? Then you might have an area where you want to be near if not staying central on transport links is also a plan.

You might like to say some of the things you like to do - that can give people and idea of where to recommend, as above like the Beach then Manley and Bondi are definitely places - like the city, paddington and surrounds are good - like the boring burbs, the Upper North Shore and over to the Hills District would be good.

Anyway anything else specific you would like details on ask away I get super help from this forum and by the way welcome!

Cheers
Old May 8th 2003, 9:15 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Read the 'anyone going to Sydney' thread there is an excellent web site shown on this thread with evrything you need best of luck
Old May 8th 2003, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Best of luck to you both. Carry out searchs on the forum you are bound to find answers to all your questions.

Good luck

footie chick
Old May 8th 2003, 4:56 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to oz

Originally posted by Tamara
hello everyone my name is mark and my wife is called tamara we have just recieved our visas and thinking of going to Sydney is there anyone out there who can tell us the nice places to live in sydney or any nice local suburbs. also what did you do when you first got to oz where did u stay ? we dont what to do when we get off the plane .
When hubby and I were living in Sydney for 7 months we stayed in Sutherland which is south of the City. It was pretty good...close to the Royal National Park and Cronella (spelling?) which has a lovely beach, good cafes etc. The houses were alright and the shops OK too. It was the people that we really liked - all very friendly and interested in what we had been doing, where we came from etc. Our neighbours were very friendly as well. The transportation to the City was very good too. I wouldn't move there again (we are heading for Qld when [if!] we get our visa) as it was quite suburby, but as far as suburbs go it was rather nice. The one thing I did notice though was that there weren't very many sidewalks (footpaths) which could be a bit annoying if you had a pram or small children walking.

Good luck with it all.
Old May 8th 2003, 5:13 pm
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road

Hi,
We're Sydneybound as well.
As for areas of Sydney consider all except the West! (inner west excepted!) South is great and we will be living there for a few months (Sylvania) before renting/buying a unit(flat). I like Bronti and Coogee on the coast. But Chatswood, Glebe(expensive but central) are good. North shore also worth looking at.
Cronulla done have a great couple of beaches and although about an hour and 20mins drive from the CBD is on the railway line.

Good luck and keep posting there are a lot of friendly helpful people on here- and very few mullets

Dinky