Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving out whilst waiting for visa

Moving out whilst waiting for visa

Old Aug 18th 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light
Default Moving out whilst waiting for visa

Well, I'm moving out of my parents house, and renting a place for 6 months whilst waiting for my visa to be granted. The reason for this is because I want to live alone before going to another country and doing it, and me and the g/f want to see if we can live together as she may be coming with me.

I know it'll cost me so I will save a bit less than staying at home with parents, but I think I need the experience.

White goods are already in the house, and we have most of the furniture already, all we need to buy are things for the kitchen like plates, cups, glasses, knives, forks etc. I take it it won't be too pricey to ship them across when I/we go? I was going to have boxes going anyway. Or would it be cheaper to leave it all and buy again out there? I won't need them straight away as I have someone to stay with.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

owenj is just really niceowenj is just really niceowenj is just really niceowenj is just really niceowenj is just really niceowenj is just really niceowenj is just really niceowenj is just really nice
Default Re: Moving out whilst waiting for visa

Sounds sensible to live together first if the gf goes with you. It will be far more intense in Australia as you initially probably won't know as many other people. Good idea to get used to living together in the UK.

With shipping, just work out if its cheaper to replace new in Australia vs taking stuff with you. The more you take the cheaper it becomes per volume. One kettle won't cost much to replace, but add toaster, food processor, iron, woks, pans, gadgets etc.... and it adds up. Contact shipping companies for quotes to get an idea. Bear in mind it will take about 12 weeks to get over there!
Old Aug 19th 2008, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks.

Freedom shipping want about £200 for 5 tea cartons worth. Until it's closer to the time, I won't know for sure how much I'll have.

I think it'll be worth getting them over here and taking them though, as it'll save so much time going round getting odd bits when we don't know the shops as well as we do here.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by xzibit
I think it'll be worth getting them over here and taking them though, as it'll save so much time going round getting odd bits when we don't know the shops as well as we do here.
There's always IKEA I'd never actually been in one while we were in the UK but pretty much kitted our place here out in IKEA stuff... not totally, but certainly sufficient to get through the months of waiting for our stuff (about 3.5 months - although the stuff was in Oz within 6 weeks, just had a lot of problems with our shippers being eejits)
Old Aug 19th 2008, 12:19 pm
funky monkey.

chiefster1976 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi xzibit...
My stuff has just been sent to Brissy by pickfords...
70cubic feet= £525+ another £100 insurance.. Not very much stuff at all...
My best friend 2 years ago Payed with pickfords £4000 for a 20FT container...
On average 20 FT containers can be 900- 1100CFT APPROX ( someone posted on a thread on here under removals)

granted his travel was 2 years ago, but you would think taking less than a
1/10 th of what my friends took £525 is still a little expensive in my opinion...
Hence as my friend said when he shipped his gear take as much as you can as the less you take doesnt mean you'll save a bundle!!
On the other hand will your sofa or other items you ship fit and work in your new place??
Well i thought how am i going to know what kind of a place im going to move into so keep the bare essentials and get rid of the rest...IMO..
NEW LIFE ,NEW GEAR!!!
Old Aug 19th 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not planning on taking sofas, beds, drawers etc as to be honest, by the time we go, they could do with being renewed.

Only small items like CD's, DVD's, pictures, clothes, kitchen utensils etc etc I'd imagine.

As I'm moving house now, I am going to have a huge clearout.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 12:52 pm
funky monkey.

chiefster1976 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xzibit
I'm not planning on taking sofas, beds, drawers etc as to be honest, by the time we go, they could do with being renewed.

Only small items like CD's, DVD's, pictures, clothes, kitchen utensils etc etc I'd imagine.

As I'm moving house now, I am going to have a huge clearout.
SOunds like a plan!!! I only took clothes , Books DVDS, some personal value items..camping gear and a mountain bike.. max 70CFT..

ITS worth knowing pickfords apparently use there company door to door thats one reason i used them...
most other companies use there own company door to port then a sub contractor will pick up your items to drop them to your door...
I thought if any problems happen its and argument with ONE company not dealing with 2 companies..
Old Aug 19th 2008, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chiefster1976
SOunds like a plan!!! I only took clothes , Books DVDS, some personal value items..camping gear and a mountain bike.. max 70CFT..

ITS worth knowing pickfords apparently use there company door to door thats one reason i used them...
most other companies use there own company door to port then a sub contractor will pick up your items to drop them to your door...
I thought if any problems happen its and argument with ONE company not dealing with 2 companies..
Except Pickfords in Australia were (in my experience) absolutely dreadful compared to the guys in the UK. The attitude of office staff & the delivery guys just sucked. And trying to get them to accept blame/responsibility for anything was nigh on impossible.