Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Orange NSW

Moving to Orange NSW

Old Aug 3rd 2012, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

taff lewis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Orange NSW

Hi, any ex pats in the Orange area, hoping to arrive there within the next few weeks to start work, what is life like in Orange?, would like to know about property rental, cost of living etc
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:47 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Orange NSW

Hi taff,
I live here and have done for 3 years now. I assume you are coming to work in the mine or the hospital?
If you want to go to my website you will find a few things about Orange and about the current housing market.
Generally this is a good time to arrive as winter will be almost done and spring arriving.
I personally love Orange, but I am keen on food, wine, golf etc. I am not worried about the lack of surf or beach culture. Its got a population of about 40,000 and most things are within the town (it says its a city but not by UK standards). Only thin I have had to go to Sydney for (and its 3.5 hours away) is furniture. Its basically big enough to find decent restaurants and small enough to find a decent builder!
Cost of living is better than Sydney Melbourne etc but still not cheap given state of pound v dollar. However you will be earning in dollars which helps
On rentals you can pay anything between $230 and $900 a week depending on what you want. The housing market has gone through a few changes recently, which I have written up on my website and blog, so have a read.
Schools are very good for primary, average for state secondary, and there is an excellent private school.
Happy to answer any other questions that you may have

Scotty