Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving once again

Moving once again

Old Feb 12th 2006, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

bigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant future
Default Moving once again

We are moving from SE Melbourne to perth as the job prospects down here aren't too good. We've been here for just over 3mths now and we just can't seem to find work. We are off to either mandrah or halls head in a months time, so if anybody has any information that would be happily received. We have 3 kids 8,5,14mths.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

draper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nice
Default Re: Moving once again

Originally Posted by bigmac31
We are moving from SE Melbourne to perth as the job prospects down here aren't too good. We've been here for just over 3mths now and we just can't seem to find work. We are off to either mandrah or halls head in a months time, so if anybody has any information that would be happily received. We have 3 kids 8,5,14mths.
What line of work are you in?
We're just in process of applying and it seems in last week there's just so many threads about people not being able to find work! We also have 3 kids and don't want to be in a position where they are shifted around constantly, when they could be settled here! It's worrying!!
Good luck though in Perth.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

We're also looking for work in Melbourne and everyone we've asked says it takes about 6 months to find work. Why not apply for work in both Perth and Melbourne and take whichever comes first rather than move the whole family over without a job in either?

Good luck.

Flip
Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

bigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant future

[My husband is a level 3 chef but the hours that they are giving you seem to be al split shifts and by the time you add on the travelling distance it makes it a very very long day. He also used to be a bricklayer but is a bit rusty. He has been going to building sites and asking there but its like he is begging for work. They just don't want to know. We have a few friends, and one of them was a butcher in england but now is a sales rep! I have also seen on here a university lecturer who can't find work and is now working in blockbusters. I was really excited to come to melbourne but now we are here i feel that something is missing and we just can't seem to settle, so we are gonna give perth a try as so many british are moving there. Apparently there are about 500 british people moving to perth every week, (soon its gonna be little britain).
Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

[Over here you usually apply for jobs via CV's on the internet. Its rare that you can talk to someone whos advertising the job. We must of sent 30 CV's off to companys in melbourne but only had 3 replys. (they never reply) We then sent off 7 CV's for jobs in perth and 6 of them replied within the 1st day for him to go to interviews. We just seem to get more response from the perth people. Its so frustrating as we didn't want to move YET again but i must admit you have to go where the work is as your money doesn't last forever. Natalie xxx
Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:35 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently there are about 500 british people moving to perth every week, (soon its gonna be little britain).
Best of luck to you - I really hope something decent turns up for you soon ... but the sort of statistic you just quoted about Perth would have me moving to Alice Springs - lol
Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

[where abouts in melbourne are you? We are in Berwick.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:37 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hutch
Best of luck to you - I really hope something decent turns up for you soon ... but the sort of statistic you just quoted about Perth would have me moving to Alice Springs - lol
It's all you can hear in some of the suburbs...British accents
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

[My husband is a level 3 chef but the hours that they are giving you seem to be al split shifts and by the time you add on the travelling distance it makes it a very very long day. He also used to be a bricklayer but is a bit rusty. He has been going to building sites and asking there but its like he is begging for work. They just don't want to know. We have a few friends, and one of them was a butcher in england but now is a sales rep! I have also seen on here a university lecturer who can't find work and is now working in blockbusters. I was really excited to come to melbourne but now we are here i feel that something is missing and we just can't seem to settle, so we are gonna give perth a try as so many british are moving there. Apparently there are about 500 british people moving to perth every week, (soon its gonna be little britain).
DONT FORGET THE BEAUTIFUL SOUTH WEST,www,mybunbury.com.au
we seem to get overlooked, and there are so many opportunities here.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:26 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by cranni
DONT FORGET THE BEAUTIFUL SOUTH WEST,www,mybunbury.com.au
we seem to get overlooked, and there are so many opportunities here.
and only 8% Brits instead of the WA average of 11%

Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
and only 8% Brits instead of the WA average of 11%
YEH GREAT,
Old Feb 13th 2006, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

griffinfamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bigmac31

We are also on the move to Perth we're up in Wodonga NE Vic, we've been here 6 months and although kev found work we have decide it's not the place for us!

Kev has had a job offer pending medical so we too are off within a month, March 9-10, just getting removal quotes! I expect we will be shocked!

We have 3 children 15,9,8, are you going to drive over?

Do you know which area your heading for in perth? We need to be south of river for kev's work so am just starting to find out any info on places to live etc.

Cheers
Nicky
Old Feb 13th 2006, 3:35 am
Just Joined

jedt is an unknown quantity at this point

Beware of the Mosquito's in Mandurah, Ross river virus is becoming a big problem down there. The WA government have stopped fogging.

I can help if you are looking for a vehicle when you get here. I have been in Perth for 3 years and now work for an independant Toyota Dealer in Fremantle. Please email me with wat you will be looking for as far as a vehicle goes and I will try my best to find you the right vehicle (not just Toyota) for the right price.

Hope everything works out well for you.

Jedt.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[ Apparently there are about 500 british people moving to perth every week, (soon its gonna be little britain).
Interesting but could it really be that many thats 26,000 a year just to WA.

Thought we only took about 100,000 immigrants a year all up or is that a bit out of date now
Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Interesting but could it really be that many thats 26,000 a year just to WA.

Thought we only took about 100,000 immigrants a year all up or is that a bit out of date now
No, you're right, it's no-where near that many.

Up till a couple of years ago there were around 100,000 migrants a year in total - of which only 10,000 came from the UK. Divide that by 52 and you get 192 a week for the whole of Australia. Don't know what percentage go to WA but it's definitely no more than 40%. So say 76 UK migrants were arriving in WA each week up till a couple of years ago.

The figures have gone up slightly since then - but not by 657%!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.