Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving from NZ to Brisbane

Wikiposts

Moving from NZ to Brisbane

Old Dec 29th 2006, 1:24 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from NZ to Brisbane

Now that we've confirmed our suspicions and discovered that although New Zealand is pleasant enough it doesn't quite tick all the boxes and we've set our sights on moving to Brisbane.

Why Brisbane in particular? yes well - the climate for starters! I'm still waiting for the summer to start here and a bit of tropical heat wouldn't go amiss right now, lol!! but seriously that's not the only reason, there is no single reason to tell the truth just a feeling that there must be more to life than this.

We did consider Melbourne but found it too much of a big city, has some nice bits around the river, but lacks a certain soul, looses some of it's gloss outside of the CBD (apologies to anyone who lives there and thinks otherwise, just my opinion based on what I've seen )

Has anyone else made the leap from NZ to Brisbane and do you have any advice about good
shippers
pet carriers
schools
moving money across
etc.

that you wouldn't mind sharing with me?

I'm thinking about taking a car across too but I hear that can be overly expensive and it may be better to sell it off and buy new.

We're hoping to be on our way by Easter.

Last edited by Nerine; Dec 29th 2006 at 1:28 pm. Reason: additional info.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from NZ to Brisbane

Done all that you are asking !

And "not ticking all the boxes" is our reason as well

Moving pets ring 0800petman (there near Howick), Warick is a top bloke.We are in the SI and have used a company down here and for 2 dogs in a double cage is costing $2,500, single cages were $1800.
Removals, get 3-4 in to quote and play one against the other, we went with Allied movers. 4 bed house inc insurance $6,900.
Car, I was going to take mine but too be honest I could not be arsed with the paperwork or the hassel.

Anymore question feel free to ask.

We've tried both the NI and the SI and we can't wait to get out

I've got less than 10 days left now

Ian
Old Dec 29th 2006, 3:26 pm

Thanks for the help.

Howick is not too far away from here so i'll give that place a call, didn't know that you could get double cages so that should save a bit. Do dogs have to have any special vaccinations before they go? mine are already fully tooled up against distemper, lepto, parvo, etc.

$6,9000 all-in sounds pretty good and a lot less than we paid for getting out here a few years back, and that sort of price is for a full packing service too?

Did you find it quite easy to set up a bank account from here? It should be really since most of the NZ banks are Australian owned
Old Dec 29th 2006, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
Thanks for the help.

Howick is not too far away from here so i'll give that place a call, didn't know that you could get double cages so that should save a bit. Do dogs have to have any special vaccinations before they go? mine are already fully tooled up against distemper, lepto, parvo, etc.

$6,9000 all-in sounds pretty good and a lot less than we paid for getting out here a few years back, and that sort of price is for a full packing service too?

Did you find it quite easy to set up a bank account from here? It should be really since most of the NZ banks are Australian owned
Its cheaper to do the single cage, but our Staff is a puff and crys if she can't see the older lab.
All I did was hand everything over to the pet shippers and they have done everything within the quoted price, all there injections are up to date. I did have to get a copy of there registration history from the counsil.

$6,900 all in shipped and 2 weeks free storage at the Brisbane end. It cost $8K to move from Auckland 2 years ago

I've not set a bank account up, but will do when I get there.

Ian
Old Dec 29th 2006, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Ian, will you have any money left to put in the bank after leaving here? Lol
I wish you well in Brissy, you know its my next (hopefully) destination after Malta. Looking forward to leaving NZ also, very much. Its been like being trapped in a prison here! Still our eldest has finally reached 18 (almost) and we can shoot off now leaving big boy to defend himself (ha ha)
I did like Brisbane very much and knew instantly that we had made the wrong choice of country.
Good Luck with your move Ian, and you too Nerine.
I hope you post lots of info Ian!
Old Dec 29th 2006, 7:22 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Done all that you are asking !

And "not ticking all the boxes" is our reason as well

Moving pets ring 0800petman (there near Howick), Warick is a top bloke.We are in the SI and have used a company down here and for 2 dogs in a double cage is costing $2,500, single cages were $1800.
Removals, get 3-4 in to quote and play one against the other, we went with Allied movers. 4 bed house inc insurance $6,900.
Car, I was going to take mine but too be honest I could not be arsed with the paperwork or the hassel.

Anymore question feel free to ask.

We've tried both the NI and the SI and we can't wait to get out

I've got less than 10 days left now

Ian

Happy Travels you guys
Old Dec 29th 2006, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Happy Travels you guys
Its not "you" it's me, as in on my own
Thanks for the best wishes, tbh I'm craping myself it would be better knowing a date when the house sale completes, then I'd have something to look forward to. At the moment it could be 3 days, 3 weeks or even 3 months it would kill me being away from the wife and kids for that long

Ian
Old Dec 29th 2006, 7:31 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Its not "you" it's me, as in on my own
Thanks for the best wishes, tbh I'm craping myself it would be better knowing a date when the house sale completes, then I'd have something to look forward to. At the moment it could be 3 days, 3 weeks or even 3 months it would kill me being away from the wife and kids for that long

Ian

Oh we'd hate that too but needs must as they say... easy to say though I know - following through with it is harder. Good luck again.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Oh we'd hate that too but needs must as they say... easy to say though I know - following through with it is harder. Good luck again.

Thanks Luv
Old Dec 29th 2006, 8:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
Now that we've confirmed our suspicions and discovered that although New Zealand is pleasant enough it doesn't quite tick all the boxes and we've set our sights on moving to Brisbane.

We're hoping to be on our way by Easter.

Have you got New Zealand citizenship? Otherwise you need an Australian migration visa before you leave.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 10:52 am

No I haven't but we're hoping to go via the Employer Nominated Scheme, subclass 121/856.

Ian the free storage is well worth having - gives you a bit of extra time to sort things out before having it all delivered, if you need it that is!

It must be hard going without your family, my partner may well have to do the same if it takes a while to sell our place, and I know I'm going to miss him very much. A few years ago we did something similar and were apart for about 8 months with him coming home on weekends. It was really hard at the time but the time flew past and it was well worth it in the end.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

If you can try and get the IRRV before you go. We did and think its worth it as you have an option.
We are going over on a 457, my new employers are going to sponsor me for PR.

Ian
Old Dec 30th 2006, 6:26 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving from NZ to Brisbane

If you can try and get the IRRV before you go. We did and think its worth it as you have an option.
We are going over on a 457, my new employers are going to sponsor me for PR.

Ian
So many crossing the ditch.... Nerine, please could you turn the lights out on your way to the airport!

Buzzy
Old Dec 31st 2006, 9:43 am

That would confuse the pilots coming in for landing!