Australia Day

Old Dec 31st 2006, 1:39 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australia Day

We're going to be in Syndey for a few days soon and when I was booking our accommodation in Darling Harbour was told that it would be Australia Day during our stay .

Sadly our room won't be facing the harbour so we'll have to go outside to watch the fireworks in the evening, where are the best vantage points and does it get very busy (we'll have our kids with us)

During the day there are quite a few festivities planned - which are the better ones to go to and are there any that we should avoid?
Old Dec 31st 2006, 4:12 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia Day

Originally Posted by Nerine
We're going to be in Syndey for a few days soon and when I was booking our accommodation in Darling Harbour was told that it would be Australia Day during our stay .

Sadly our room won't be facing the harbour so we'll have to go outside to watch the fireworks in the evening, where are the best vantage points and does it get very busy (we'll have our kids with us)

During the day there are quite a few festivities planned - which are the better ones to go to and are there any that we should avoid?
I hear they are expecting one million to turn up for the fireworks. Anywhere along the harbourside should give you a half decent view...just follow the crowds lol

I'm sure there will be many families there and a strong police presence, so I wouldn't worry too much. You could always try ringing the police and asking them about it. I'm sure they would be glad to help. I doubt any tourist info places be open today, but there could be info on sydney city council website maybe.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 4:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine

Does the place you are staying not have any public areas harbour side? Pool? rooftop terrace? Just a thought. You could end up with the best seat in the house without having to leave the building.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 10:10 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies, we're staying in the sprawling Novotel complex so I'm hoping that there may be some public areas (say a roof terrace or something like that) where we can watch from.

Really don't like the idea of entering the throng with kids in tow, so a safe vantage point is essential.

I saw the shots of the New Year fireworks last night - they were amazing hey! if the Australia Day ones are half as good we'll be well plesed.