Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving from NZ to Australia

Moving from NZ to Australia

Old Jun 30th 2011, 9:05 am
middleagespread

rosyglow has a brilliant futurerosyglow has a brilliant futurerosyglow has a brilliant futurerosyglow has a brilliant futurerosyglow has a brilliant futurerosyglow has a brilliant futurerosyglow has a brilliant futurerosyglow has a brilliant future
Default Moving from NZ to Australia

Hi there - we're a middle-aged English couple with no dependents who've been living in Nelson, NZ for approx 8 years. To put it bluntly, the dream of living in what some people call Paradise, has slowly but surely died. The reality is we can't afford to stay here anymore (massive overdraft & nil employment prospects), so we're thinking of giving Australia a shot. We are both NZ Citizens, so the shift across the Tasman hopefully won't be too complicated - but where do we go? We've been to Melbourne & Brisbane (holiday), love them both, but where would you recommend? My husband is a carpenter/joiner & I'm a florist/ex-public servant/currently very mature art student. Where to begin? Employment and location are our top priorities, does anyone out there have some good advice please? Things are getting so serious we're even thinking of going back to the UK (a frightening prospect).
Thanks.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 10:01 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from NZ to Australia

I can give a bit of advice on the floristry scene in Australia:

I myself work in the wholesale flower trade and like many things in the retail sector it is having a hard time of things.

I deal on a daily basis with companies in all major cities & states all over Australia and florist shops are closing in all the cities due to the corporate work drying up.

here is what I found on seek for 40K plus per year in Melbourne

http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?Dat...archFrom=quick

avoid number 8!!

Brisbane came up with just 2!

http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?Dat...e=search+again

I also have a couple of friends here in the Dandenongs that are Carpenters, and both can work 6-7 days a week when they want to, so work is not an issue for them, and they both live quite a comfortable lifestyle. Don't know about salaries unfotunately.

Last edited by furkew; Jun 30th 2011 at 10:05 am.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 10:17 am
middleagespread

rosyglow has a brilliant futurerosyglow has a brilliant futurerosyglow has a brilliant futurerosyglow has a brilliant futurerosyglow has a brilliant futurerosyglow has a brilliant futurerosyglow has a brilliant futurerosyglow has a brilliant future

Cheers for that. Looks like floristry might be a possibility in Melbourne, which is great news. Need to check out the Dandenongs for chippy work too.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 10:25 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rosyglow
Cheers for that. Looks like floristry might be a possibility in Melbourne, which is great news. Need to check out the Dandenongs for chippy work too.
The Dandenongs is just to give you an idea. I know a lot of mates in various trades, and they all seem to have plenty of work on the books. I think anywhere on the eastern side of the city would offer perspective (lots of new builds everywhere)

QLD on the other hand (from reading recent posts) does seem a bit more difficult.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 11:13 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving from NZ to Australia

Hi there - we're a middle-aged English couple with no dependents who've been living in Nelson, NZ for approx 8 years. To put it bluntly, the dream of living in what some people call Paradise, has slowly but surely died. The reality is we can't afford to stay here anymore (massive overdraft & nil employment prospects), so we're thinking of giving Australia a shot. We are both NZ Citizens, so the shift across the Tasman hopefully won't be too complicated - but where do we go? We've been to Melbourne & Brisbane (holiday), love them both, but where would you recommend? My husband is a carpenter/joiner & I'm a florist/ex-public servant/currently very mature art student. Where to begin? Employment and location are our top priorities, does anyone out there have some good advice please? Things are getting so serious we're even thinking of going back to the UK (a frightening prospect).
Thanks.
Carpenters will have no worries getting work in Melbourne I reckon.

As NZ citizens, by the way, you won't have permanent residency in Australia. You'll have perpetual temporary residency. On a day to day basis this won't make any difference to you but a lot of places don't understand your visa status and you may find it harder to get credit cards, mortgage etc.
Also you won't be able to vote which some might say is a good thing. Unless the rules change you'll never be able to become permanent residents either.

BB
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 1:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

We are both NZ Citizens, so the shift across the Tasman hopefully won't be too complicated - but where do we go?
You're NZ citizens so that's a good start however your rights in Australia will still be limited:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...s_in_Australia
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

MandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really nice

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Carpenters will have no worries getting work in Melbourne I reckon.

As NZ citizens, by the way, you won't have permanent residency in Australia. You'll have perpetual temporary residency. On a day to day basis this won't make any difference to you but a lot of places don't understand your visa status and you may find it harder to get credit cards, mortgage etc.
Also you won't be able to vote which some might say is a good thing. Unless the rules change you'll never be able to become permanent residents either.

BB
Hi Buzzy Bee, why do yo say they will never be able to be permanent residents in Australia? Is this because of their age (they say they're middle aged)? I have just read the link posted by JAJ and could see no reason other than skill shortage or age. thanks
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyB
Hi Buzzy Bee, why do yo say they will never be able to be permanent residents in Australia? Is this because of their age (they say they're middle aged)? I have just read the link posted by JAJ and could see no reason other than skill shortage or age. thanks
Quite often, people think if they live in Australia for a certain time period, they will become PR or even citizens. I belive BB was pointing out that this is not true and it does not matter how long NZ citizens reside in Australia they will not obtain permanent residency.

Of course if they are eligible for and apply for an Australian PR visa, such as the skilled migrant visa, then they might obtain Australian PR, but the NZ citizen status will have no bearing on this.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jul 3rd 2011 at 4:05 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 6:58 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyB
No New Zealand citizen arriving in Australia after February 2001 has any rights to Permanent Residency or Citizenship in Australia. They would have to pass a points test the same as if they had never lived here. Until they do (and many will never get enough points) then they are Temporary Residents.

BB
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

I am going to say, live somewhere the rent and/or house prices are cheap otherwise you will just be in the same situation in a bigger country
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 1:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
No New Zealand citizen arriving in Australia after February 2001 has any rights to Permanent Residency or Citizenship in Australia. They would have to pass a points test the same as if they had never lived here. Until they do (and many will never get enough points) then they are Temporary Residents.
There are non points tested visas that NZ citizens can also go for. Employer nomination (ENS/RSMS) is a popular option, and it's much easier for a skilled NZ citizen to get one of these than it is for someone else. The reason being they can start work while they wait for the PR visa to be processed, and find a new job if employer refuses to sponsor.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

MandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really nice

Ah thats OK then. Husband is bricklayer/stonemason and last time i checked these were on the skills shortage list (also comes well within the age limit). We will come over as NZ citizens but if we decided to stay (and i really hope we do) we fully intend to apply for permanent residency. Always thought we had to go down the same route as everyone else (i.e from scratch) but had a sudden panic that there was was no way no how that we would be able to obtain PR. Thanks
Old Jul 4th 2011, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Rosyflow, just pm'd you.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:00 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone make the move from New Zealand to Australia and did you regret it or is it the best thing you have done, im actually getting tired of New Zealand, the crap wages, the dullness lack of everything really would love to hear of any ones experience, we have been here 4 years now and the only thing that keeps me going is looking at Australia as a option in the future.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:04 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by love30stm
Anyone make the move from New Zealand to Australia and did you regret it or is it the best thing you have done, im actually getting tired of New Zealand, the crap wages, the dullness lack of everything really would love to hear of any ones experience, we have been here 4 years now and the only thing that keeps me going is looking at Australia as a option in the future.
A hell of a lot of us have made the move very successfully but I would recommend you choose your part of Australia carefully as what you dislike about NZ could apply to some places here as well.

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.