Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Newcastle - help!!!!!!

Moving to Newcastle - help!!!!!!

Old Jul 12th 2011, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

wendy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Newcastle - help!!!!!!

Hi

I have accepted a job in Newcastle, NSW, my visa's were all approved on Friday and I am planning to move around the middle of August.

Can anyone help with what to do about finding accommodation before arriving?? Where do people stay when they first arrive I have started applying for rental properties on-line, but from what I have read, this is going to be very difficult to secure before arriving. I have a 6 year old who will need to be enrolled in the local school, but this obviously depends on where we are going to live. I don't know anyone in Newcastle that can help.

Any advice about this and any other tips, would be very welcome

Apart from this stressing me out slightly, then am really excited about moving
Old Jul 13th 2011, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

scrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Newcastle - help!!!!!!

To be perfectly frank, in some respects I think you're wasting your time looking at rentals before coming. It will be useful so you can have an idea about the general condition of properties in Newcastle (often shockingly poor in comparison to newer euro houses), the prices you can expect to pay and familiarise yourself with areas here.

Apart from that, no Agent will let a property to you before you've seen the property so I'm not sure how you can apply online. And honestly, would you really be happy moving into a place you've never seen? We saw some places that looked fab in pics but awful in reality (and vice versa). If you really want to move into a place straight away on arriving, I'd suggest looking at holiday lets where you could live for a few weeks until you find something more permanent.

We just moved into our house in Newcastle 2 weeks ago after a few weeks of searching. It was a nightmare process trying to get to rent here for a number of reasons:
  1. Properties let so quickly. If the property is any good, and there's been at least one viewing, it's likely that they've received numerous applications already, so even though they may have a 2nd viewing, you may actually stand no chance of actually letting it.
  2. Agents advertise properties long in advance of when they are available so even though you see a lovely property on the net, it may be weeks before you can actually view it, and more weeks until you can move in.
  3. In general, agents in Newcastle (dont know about elsewhere in Oz) will not arrange to let you view the property outside of official viewing times, so you can't get to see properties until the viewing date comes up, which often is 2-3 weeks away. This was a killer for us as we were ready to rent, ready to view but we couldn't get in to see properties for ages. It really felt like Agents didn't actually want to let places. Then when the agents decide on a viewing (which could be 10AM on a Tues) you get an SMS. Fine if you're not working, a bloody pain if you are!
Generally to get to view a house you either phone an agent or fill in a web form asking for a viewing. In both cases they'll inform you by SMS when the viewing is happening. In most cases there is no difference whether you speak to an 'operator or use a webform, as in both cases you'll simply be added to an "Interested in Property X" list and get SMS updates. Very very rarely, a property agent will agree to show you a property outside of official viewing hours. Generally we found the only ones we could get those viewings for were ones nobody would actually consider.

So in short, yeah you can research from the UK, but really you need to wait until you get here, get a local SMS and register

There seems to be no concept of registering your interest with an Agent and having them look out for properties for you. You really are responsible 100% for your own search so you need to be scouring the web daily and registering for viewings. Saturdays are good days for viewings as many agencies will have a number of viewings, so you if you have your car handy, and a map and schedule of viewings, you can take in 3-4 on a Sat AM.

The next step after you actually FIND a place you're interested in, is to secure that property. There are a tonne of helpful threads on this site about it, but basically you need copies of everything that you hold personal and dear and would generaly NEVER usually give to a "possible" letting agent in the EU (e.g. birth cert, passport, visa details, car registration details, driving lic details, medicare dets, prev. mortgage papers, bank statements, payslips, work contract etc). You should have copies of all this super-personal information and have them ready to hand in to each agent at every property you're interested in.

You'll also need to fill in forms from the Agent themselves. If you think you're very interested in a property before you view it, it's worth downloading the forms from the internet, filling them out and bringing them to the viewing in case you decide to apply. The faster you're in with your application, the better the chance you stand in getting a place.

Also, agents will want reference details so make sure you have the name and contact details of someone from your new employers company who can respond to calls from agents. You should also have any reference letters from previous landlords or mortgage details if you owned a house. This can be very difficult if you don't know people in Oz as generally they want Australian references.

I'm not trying to freak you out, but honestly it's a crazy process trying to get a property here, and once you have it you'll be dreading the thoughts of doing it again. Add to that, the Rental Agents, generally seem to be the snottiest wenches (never had a male agent) you'll ever meet, with unbelievable attitudes. Generally they know nothing about the property and treat you like dirt at viewings. Apparently the Sales Agents are much friendlier but we've not yet experienced that yet

Best of luck with the hunt!
Old Jul 13th 2011, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wendy1
Hi

I have accepted a job in Newcastle, NSW, my visa's were all approved on Friday and I am planning to move around the middle of August.

Can anyone help with what to do about finding accommodation before arriving?? Where do people stay when they first arrive I have started applying for rental properties on-line, but from what I have read, this is going to be very difficult to secure before arriving. I have a 6 year old who will need to be enrolled in the local school, but this obviously depends on where we are going to live. I don't know anyone in Newcastle that can help.

You need to find a hotel, serviced apartment, holiday let for when you arrive. If you are being sponsored, I would certainly have thought your future employer would pay for this for a few weeks or so.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:51 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wendy1
Hi

Ask your potential new employer to sort out a serviced apartment for you for at least one month. You can also ask, they can only say no, for them to provide you with a relocation agent who can speak to you and ascertain your needs and look for properties on your behalf. A Relocation Agent can also look at properties outside of normal viewing times so can be an advantage.
You HAVE to view the property yourself and believe me you do want to do that!! Some agents are good, some are bad, luck of the draw. Have lots of copies of the documents they need handy and have their own forms downloaded and ready to fill in when you view.
If you REALLY like the property, consider offering above the advertised price, or giving more than one months rent in advance, it can help (did for us!!).
If you get no relocation agent and you are working full time it will make your life harder, unless you fully trust your OH to do the search for you...with no car it might be difficult. Be prepared to be frustrated and disapointed unless you are lucky.
We have managed to find 3 great property rentals since we have been here, one thing I would really advocate is to try and personalise your approach with the Agent, talk to them, share a laugh or joke. Again, I did and it worked for us 100% of the time. If they like you they will be biased to you, use any advantage you can get.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

wendy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

Thanks for your advice. I am going to be working at the local hospital and have only really had contact with my new department. They are going to get in contact with HR and see what they can do. Seems strange to think they have no provision in place for people like me. I am sure I will get something sorted out.

Any advice about moving, what to take, Newcastle in general very welcome.