Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving in the middle of exam years

Wikiposts

Moving in the middle of exam years

Old Oct 23rd 2011, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Kipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant future
Default Moving in the middle of exam years

Haven't been on expats for ages. Got our visa back in Jan 2008, lots of pressure from family to stay 'a little bit longer' in the UK and now my husband in particular really wants to live in Brisbane near his brother. I am still keen to go to OZ.
However has anyone moved out leaving a child to finish Uni (he will have 18 months to go). Another in the middle of A'levels and another about to start A'levels ? I am worried about the total disruption to the kids education and yet feel my husband and myself need to think of our futures as all the kids will have left soon anyway. The kids want to stay in the UK and I'll be honest I couldn't just up sticks and leave them even if I could.
Anyone emigrate with older kids ? Visa expires Jan 2013 !!!!
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving in the middle of exam years

It might be worth asking a mod to move your thread to the main Australia forum, more people will see your thread there. This section is for questions about getting visas and many people stop reading in here once the get theirs.

I imagine it would be very hard to persuade children in late teens / early 20s to move if they don't want to. Although time and time again I have seen stories of the teenager who refused to come and then changed his / her mind 12 months later. Are you definitely not prepared to go without them?

In terms of finding the right time, I haven't had personal experience, but based on what you say my suggestion would be to move after middle child has done A levels, which I assume is next june and leaves 6 months left on visa? You could encourage youngest to start something like IB or something more transferable than half done A levels anyway. Eldest is at university and presumably has already partially flown the nest anyway.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 11:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

I won't advise but note the important differences.

Term times are different. School/uni starts Feb/Mar and finishes December.

Secondly, they do 12 years here versus 13 years in UK. Hence, UK kids are usually offered the opportunity to jump a year. Hence, at 17 you are in year 11.

The system is different in that typically you do 6 subjects to get into uni. I'm in VIC so I'll leave the QLD bods to explain their system. Here's a link http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question...9045439AAwC0IZ. In VIC kids do external exams.

It comes down to timing. If you arrived by next Feb, what age will the kids be in that school year? Also, how important is it to finish 'A' levels? Apparently, they are recognised but how transferable are they? General advice is to get an Aus qual to enter Aus uni, if you intend to stay.

The other big difference is that Aus 3-year degrees are not honours; you have to do an extra year for honours. Hence, lots of Brits start using (hons) after their degree, probably for the first time, ever.

There are quite a few threads. Search for ones that include me. Opinions are polarised.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

In brisbane, there are two lots of starting ages it changed a few years back, basically older kids like yours would be turning 16 in grade 11 and turning 17 in grade 12 - the year they finish. However for eg, in my sons grade 10 class they have kids from 13 to 16, son is 14 turning 15 in november, a real mix of ages.

So kids ( on the old age system ) finish school a lot younger than UK and even interstate.

The important thing is they do all of grade 11 and 12 in one system!! If they want any chance of a score (OP ) that will get them into uni.

If they do the IB, they must have a second language and finding a school that has the one they speak isnt always easy Fee for IB, ranges from $1500 at our school, to a whopping $24,000 PA at many others.

Not an easy age to move them is it I feel your pain.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

TheIr futures are probably going to be better served by letting them finish A levels at the very least - they travel well to Aus university entrance scores. I certainly wouldn't bring someone part way through a degree either! If they get A levels then they are keeping all their options open for uni in UK without international fee rate penalties or for uni in Aus.

Your kids are going to fly the nest soon anyway and could end up anywhere from Toronto to Timbuctu so you might just have to bite the bullet and leave them with a strong support network.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Kipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant future

Thank you for your replies everyone. I spent the whole of last night asking myself the question, well could I leave them in the hope they may come to Oz one day ? Still not sure what the answer is !
My oldest would definitely stay at Uni and finish his degree and hopefully be able to get his own visa once finished (he's doing law).
It's the middle one that's the problem he will be doing his A2 levels in Jan 2013, so either has to take his last modules early (he is bright) I'm not sure if he's that bright though, or start the last 2 years of school all over again, which of course he's dead against. He also wants to go into F1 and the opportunities here seem better for him. But I don't think I could leave him , but I want my husband to be happy too.
Sorry for the ramble, not sure there is an answer. Are there good opportunities for mechanical engineers in Oz ? Maybe if I find something for son 2 to aim for he may feel happier.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kipsters
Haven't been on expats for ages. Got our visa back in Jan 2008, lots of pressure from family to stay 'a little bit longer' in the UK and now my husband in particular really wants to live in Brisbane near his brother. I am still keen to go to OZ.
However has anyone moved out leaving a child to finish Uni (he will have 18 months to go). Another in the middle of A'levels and another about to start A'levels ? I am worried about the total disruption to the kids education and yet feel my husband and myself need to think of our futures as all the kids will have left soon anyway. The kids want to stay in the UK and I'll be honest I couldn't just up sticks and leave them even if I could.
It could affect their whole lives, let them finish the exams for god sake.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kipsters
You don't want to leave them but what is stop them leaving the UK in the future anyway & your chance is gone? I am biased though as I would love you to be here!
Lots of luck with your decision. (((())))
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Worth bearing in mind - Given the UK unis are raising fees to an average of £8.5k p.a., Aus unis are cheap. Daughter is paying $7k p.a. for her Commerce degree at Melbourne, £4.6k, or 54% of UK average. Also, the kids tend to live at home here as going inter-state is a long way.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanks ebo. Yes Uni fees here are going to be crippling and with 2 more to go it's not something I'd look forward to.
Hello again Sally, have sent you a private email.