Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

moving to merriwa, which school, butler, quinns rocks?

moving to merriwa, which school, butler, quinns rocks?

Old Sep 11th 2006, 3:00 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Default moving to merriwa, which school, butler, quinns rocks?

hi all, moving to merriwa next month, not heard good things about the local primary. any views on which primary would be best, butler, quinns rocks?? thanks
Old Sep 11th 2006, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to merriwa, which school, butler, quinns rocks?

Hi Dawn,

Were just behind Merriwa in Ridgewood ! My daughter goes to Butler primary which she really enjoys, its only a short drive away now that Connelly drive has opened ! I cant comment very much about the other schools, but i have heard that Merriwa primary isn't to bad !
Good luck

Nicky
Old Sep 11th 2006, 4:26 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold

Ahh thanks Nikki, how long do you think it would take to drive to Butler school from Merriwa??? Ive not had one good comment about Merriwa school from anyone else, its a shame its not that good as i could walk there, but its more important shes happy.

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Hi Dawn,

Were just behind Merriwa in Ridgewood ! My daughter goes to Butler primary which she really enjoys, its only a short drive away now that Connelly drive has opened ! I cant comment very much about the other schools, but i have heard that Merriwa primary isn't to bad !
Good luck

Nicky
Old Sep 11th 2006, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dawn
Ahh thanks Nikki, how long do you think it would take to drive to Butler school from Merriwa??? Ive not had one good comment about Merriwa school from anyone else, its a shame its not that good as i could walk there, but its more important shes happy.

It would take about 5 mins to drive there ! I'm car less at the moment so I'm walking there :scared: ! It takes about 45 mins ! oh well it will keep me fit ! . What year would you daughter be in ? mine is in year 5 & loving it ! The school has a good reputation, I'm sure she would be happy to go there .

Nicky
Old Sep 11th 2006, 4:49 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

No complaints from my friend who sends her daughter to Butler primary..
Old Sep 11th 2006, 5:20 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dawn

I have a friend who releif teaches at Merriwa and both the Quinns Schools, she says that Merriwa has it's share of kids with problems at home but no more so than at either of the Quinns schools. Who have you heard bad things from? Is it parents of children who attend Merriwa or is it 3rd hand info? I know a few kids who go to Merriwa Primary who the boys have met through their various sports activities and the kids and their families have been nice, no different to anyone else.

As for Butler, i would be surprised if they offered you a place as you're not inside the school zone and it is currently full to bursting, i guess it will depend on whether they have space in the year you require.

Personally if it was me i would be looking at the local school and spending a bit of time there finding out their policies etc, i'd be asking where the neighbours send their kids and why, talk to the kids in the park and find out where they go, then make a decision based on how you feel about the school and if your wee one seems comfy there. Different kids thrive in different environments, you need to get in there and judge for yourself

Lynn
Old Sep 11th 2006, 8:32 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Big thank you for your advice. I will have a good look myself, and may see if butler has any room also, to keep our options open,may go up on Thursday seeing as meeting the girls at Hilarys. Sian will be in pre-primary as only 5, thanks again...nicky cant believe you walk!!! if i do end up there ill keep in touch and give you a lift

Dawn

Originally Posted by movetoperth
Hi Dawn

I have a friend who releif teaches at Merriwa and both the Quinns Schools, she says that Merriwa has it's share of kids with problems at home but no more so than at either of the Quinns schools. Who have you heard bad things from? Is it parents of children who attend Merriwa or is it 3rd hand info? I know a few kids who go to Merriwa Primary who the boys have met through their various sports activities and the kids and their families have been nice, no different to anyone else.

As for Butler, i would be surprised if they offered you a place as you're not inside the school zone and it is currently full to bursting, i guess it will depend on whether they have space in the year you require.

Personally if it was me i would be looking at the local school and spending a bit of time there finding out their policies etc, i'd be asking where the neighbours send their kids and why, talk to the kids in the park and find out where they go, then make a decision based on how you feel about the school and if your wee one seems comfy there. Different kids thrive in different environments, you need to get in there and judge for yourself

Lynn

Last edited by Dawn; Sep 11th 2006 at 8:35 am.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 9:31 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dawn
Big thank you for your advice. I will have a good look myself, and may see if butler has any room also, to keep our options open,may go up on Thursday seeing as meeting the girls at Hilarys. Sian will be in pre-primary as only 5, thanks again...nicky cant believe you walk!!! if i do end up there ill keep in touch and give you a lift

Dawn

Remeber too that pre-primary is not compulsory so you are not guaranteed a place even if you are in the catchment zone, grneral rules of admission in most schoolls are..... in zone with siblings already at school, in zone with no siblings at school, out of zone with siblings at school, out of zone.... I think the applications for new admissions were 3 or so weeks ago, this is normally for those looking for kindy or pre primary places, so most schools should know their numbers by now and be able to give you a fairly quick answer. remember to take proof of address to the school which i guess in your case will be a copy of your offer and acceptance form for the house, usually thats enough for the school as well as birth cert of course.

Lynn
Old Sep 11th 2006, 12:51 pm
Arrived Perth June 2006

Ahh thanks Lynn your a wealth of knowledge let you know what i decide.x

Originally Posted by movetoperth
Remeber too that pre-primary is not compulsory so you are not guaranteed a place even if you are in the catchment zone, grneral rules of admission in most schoolls are..... in zone with siblings already at school, in zone with no siblings at school, out of zone with siblings at school, out of zone.... I think the applications for new admissions were 3 or so weeks ago, this is normally for those looking for kindy or pre primary places, so most schools should know their numbers by now and be able to give you a fairly quick answer. remember to take proof of address to the school which i guess in your case will be a copy of your offer and acceptance form for the house, usually thats enough for the school as well as birth cert of course.

Lynn