Zone 1
41.67%
Other
41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Moving to Melbourne from Sydney

Old Jun 27th 2006, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

it_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to all
Default Moving to Melbourne from Sydney

Hi,

Posted this in the meet-ups forum, but thought it might get more of an airing in here!! ;-)

We arrived in Central Coast NSW almost 3 months ago, but things aren't working out as well as we had hoped. Despite having made lots of nice friends, mainly newly arrived Brits and having family around, we are finding it really hard work and I have to say it is not working for us.

The main problem is probably the long commute which my husband has to travel each day (He is a short-term Oracle programmer, so can only get contracts in the City, although these are plentiful in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth it seems). The children are asleep when he leaves in the morning and in bed when he returns so I feel like a single Mum and they are missing him. We cannot live closer to the city as it is too expensive.

Therefore, we are coming to Melbourne on Saturday for two weeks to have a good look around to see if we think we might prefer it. We would very much like to have a look where there might be lots of English people and from reading the threads it looks as if lots of people might be around Mornington, Mount Eliza. My friend has also told me to check out Caroline Springs.

Also, please does anyone have any recommendations as to where we might like to stay (we have children aged 2,5,11,13 and 15), the teenagers especially would like to be somewhere near other teenagers. We are going to try to book into a motel or something and have a holiday as well as "a look".

If anyone is free next week, does anyone fancy a meet-up? We would love some company,

We would be grateful of any advice, I would also very much like to post a poll to see where in Victoria people have sttled but I don't know how to do it, does anyone know how to please?

Thanks
Old Jun 27th 2006, 9:34 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Melbourne from Sydney

Originally Posted by it_hooker
Also, please does anyone have any recommendations as to where we might like to stay (we have children aged 2,5,11,13 and 15), the teenagers especially would like to be somewhere near other teenagers. We are going to try to book into a motel or something and have a holiday as well as "a look".

If anyone is free next week, does anyone fancy a meet-up? We would love some company,

We would be grateful of any advice,
What budget are you looking at for the accomodation? And number of rooms? ie with 5 kids. We are in Zone 1 not too far away from the CBD, but only have one child a 2 year old daughter. Willing to travel out to place like Mt Martha, Mornington, Portsea to attend daytime meet - this could be a good excuse to get all the families with kids to let them run off their excess energy?

Quite happy to provide snacks and a cuppa earlier on in the week if we are free. PM me.

Kiwi
Old Jun 27th 2006, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

it_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to all

Originally Posted by thebears
What budget are you looking at for the accomodation? And number of rooms? ie with 5 kids. We are in Zone 1 not too far away from the CBD, but only have one child a 2 year old daughter. Willing to travel out to place like Mt Martha, Mornington, Portsea to attend daytime meet - this could be a good excuse to get all the families with kids to let them run off their excess energy?

Quite happy to provide snacks and a cuppa earlier on in the week if we are free. PM me.

Kiwi
Thanks for replying. How lovely it would be to see you.

We need a minimum of 3 rooms but budget doesn't really matter as it is only for 2 weeks - it would be very nice to be somewhere with something going on as the teenagers like some independence rather than being dragged around with us all the time, ie an indoor pool maybe?

It would be lovely to have a daytime meet, what a good idea. Perhaps you could PM me your mobile number and i'll PM you mine, then we can definately meet up,

Best wishes,

Joy
Old Jun 27th 2006, 12:00 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving to Melbourne from Sydney

The main problem is probably the long commute which my husband has to travel each day (He is a short-term Oracle programmer, so can only get contracts in the City,)

it looks as if lots of people might be around Mornington, Mount Eliza.
Hi

I'm not sure how long your husbands current commute is, but commuting from Mornington to Melbourne CBD won't give you much change out of 90 mins each way! The train from Frankston takes an hour, so add to that time getting to Frankston, parking, waiting for train, and anything he has to do at the other end.

Hopefully this is an improvement on his current commute and I'm not shattering any illusions!

Buzzy
Old Jun 27th 2006, 12:07 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks
Are you hiring a car? I don't mind meeting you and driving you around one day to have a look - I am on the Bayside. if your husband is going to work in the City then Mornington is a bit far out IMO.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 2:13 pm
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Posted this in the meet-ups forum, but thought it might get more of an airing in here!! ;-)

We arrived in Central Coast NSW almost 3 months ago, but things aren't working out as well as we had hoped. Despite having made lots of nice friends, mainly newly arrived Brits and having family around, we are finding it really hard work and I have to say it is not working for us.

The main problem is probably the long commute which my husband has to travel each day (He is a short-term Oracle programmer, so can only get contracts in the City, although these are plentiful in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth it seems). The children are asleep when he leaves in the morning and in bed when he returns so I feel like a single Mum and they are missing him. We cannot live closer to the city as it is too expensive.

Therefore, we are coming to Melbourne on Saturday for two weeks to have a good look around to see if we think we might prefer it. We would very much like to have a look where there might be lots of English people and from reading the threads it looks as if lots of people might be around Mornington, Mount Eliza. My friend has also told me to check out Caroline Springs.

We would be grateful of any advice, I would also very much like to post a poll to see where in Victoria people have sttled but I don't know how to do it, does anyone know how to please?

Thanks
Hi There,
Hope you don't mind me asking...but where in Sydney are you living at the moment?
My OH is in IT and he too doesn't want a long commute to the CBD. We are trying to mark out certain areas before we get to Sydney so we don't waste valuable time trying to figure out where to buy....

When you get time can you please give me some info as to where in Sydney you were based? And what you thought of the schooling... I have a 3 year old and 1 year...so very anxious and curious...LOL

Thanks in advance, and good luck with checking Melbourne Out.!

Last edited by utopia; Jun 27th 2006 at 2:18 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

silversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant future

Hi,

Thanks

Good on you for trying to better your standard of life and make sure your whole family are happy too and keep the close bond. A brilliant attitude. No whinging from you, just a good honest post seeking advice. I sincerely hope you get what you seek as a family. The very best of luck to your husband, I'm sure he feels guilty not getting back in time, but having to earn the bucks to put food on the table. Well done, you will surely succeed!

edit - I was going to post on a thread from 3 pages back, the one where the OP was calling her husband a "prat", deaf & dumb. However, I'll only be bringing negative repurcussions, so decided against it.
But perhaps anyone who decides to blame a well meaning husband or wife and how hard their life is because there husband/wife is an arsehole etc..should take a leaf out of this womans book.

Last edited by silversurfer; Jun 27th 2006 at 7:29 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 11:52 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Hi we emigrated into Sydney orig. and moved here to Melbourne (nearly 3 years ago). Let me know what you think is a reasonable commute and also a reasonable price for housing and what other things are high on your 'wish list'.

My Hubby is IT also. We are in Zone 2 and have a choice of 2 different train lines into the city with take 25 - 35 mins depending on Express trains or not.

LJJ
Old Jun 28th 2006, 12:21 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but I don't get it. Your husband is an Oracle contractor and you live on the central coast and he commutes to Sydney each day. I'd imagine anywhere, say, between Berowra and Hornsby would be affordable and a considerable reduction in commute times.

Or have you made your mind up to move to Melbourne already?
Old Jun 28th 2006, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Let me know if you have any free time for coffee in the city I live out west in Newport currently