Reload this Page >

Moving to Melbourne

Moving to Melbourne

Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:45 am
Just Joined

APexpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Melbourne

Hi All,

New to the forum but have been scraping the site for lots of info for a while - has been very helpful.

Me and wife are moving to Melbourne in 10 weeks from London, I have a 457 visa with job secured working in Hawthorn East area. As you'd expect we are very excited, just sorting out last few bits in the UK.

So when we arrive, we have a week to check out our surroundings before i start work, we'll be staying in South Yarra for 1st 8 weeks before we decide where we want to rent longer term. Question for anyone who knows Melbourne: What would you recommend checking out in the first week? We have a day with a guide to show us the real basics, so i'm thinking more recreational, fun things, cool places locals know about, markets etc etc.

Also, any recommendations on a good place to purchase a couple of bikes? (pedal not motor!), as we want explore a bit using pedal power.

Your advice and recommendations appreciated.

Cheers
AP
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:57 am
G'day Sport

Rick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving to Melbourne

Top tip for bikes, Reid cycles opposite vic market, really good build quality and cheaper than the so called better brands. Just Google Reid cycles
Old Jan 28th 2014, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Melbourne

Originally Posted by APexpat
Hi All,

New to the forum but have been scraping the site for lots of info for a while - has been very helpful.

Me and wife are moving to Melbourne in 10 weeks from London, I have a 457 visa with job secured working in Hawthorn East area. As you'd expect we are very excited, just sorting out last few bits in the UK.

So when we arrive, we have a week to check out our surroundings before i start work, we'll be staying in South Yarra for 1st 8 weeks before we decide where we want to rent longer term. Question for anyone who knows Melbourne: What would you recommend checking out in the first week? We have a day with a guide to show us the real basics, so i'm thinking more recreational, fun things, cool places locals know about, markets etc etc.

Also, any recommendations on a good place to purchase a couple of bikes? (pedal not motor!), as we want explore a bit using pedal power.

Your advice and recommendations appreciated.

Cheers
AP
Check out Glen Iris, from the map you can work back to your place of employment (Guessing its Coles?). Main rides go through most of the local hawthorn/Malvern/glen iris areas.

Good bike store is corner Glen Ferrie and High Street.

Glen Ferrie is main road with main shopping precincts in Malvern and Hawthorn ends.

Other main road for you to familiarise with are Burke Road (not to be confused with Bourke Street)