Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Melbourne

Moving to Melbourne

Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:03 am
Just Joined

mmcmil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Melbourne

Hi, my family and I are seriously considering emigrating to Melbourne. We are going out this Summer to have a look around and for my husband to visit the Melbourne office of his work. Does anyone have any advice on what is the best and most economical way to do this? We can see package holiday deals for the family (2 adults + 2 kids) and that seems to be best value for money that we've seen so far, but just wondered if anyone had any other suggestions. Also, is flying economy ok in terms of comfort?
Thanks for any advice, Mary.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

Butterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to Melbourne

Originally Posted by mmcmil
Hi, my family and I are seriously considering emigrating to Melbourne. We are going out this Summer to have a look around and for my husband to visit the Melbourne office of his work. Does anyone have any advice on what is the best and most economical way to do this? We can see package holiday deals for the family (2 adults + 2 kids) and that seems to be best value for money that we've seen so far, but just wondered if anyone had any other suggestions. Also, is flying economy ok in terms of comfort?
Thanks for any advice, Mary.
Lol errm economy long haul was ok, I wouldn't call it comfortable, unless you want to throw silly money at just being a little more comfy it's not in my opinion worth upgrading!

I really like Melbourne - this is where we are headed in a few weeks when we emigrate!

Good luck with your trip
Old Apr 14th 2012, 7:20 pm
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

We lived in Melbourne from 1999-2006 and loved it. We flew economy and it was fine, but we are all quite short so it might be different if you have very long legs We joined the frequent flyer programs for a lot of the airlines and watched for special offers - it was free to join most of the programs then but I think there may be a fee now in which case it is probably not worth it, but the miles do accumulate pretty quickly if you make a couple of long haul flights.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 10:56 am
Just Joined

mmcmil is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the info. We're thinking of staying at the Medina Executive, South Yarra, has anyone stayed there?
Old Apr 17th 2012, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the info. We're thinking of staying at the Medina Executive, South Yarra, has anyone stayed there?
Is that the one in Darling St? If so then yes but 7 years ago. It's ok but make sure you don't get an apartment next to the railway line. Some great p,aces to eat round there and very close to town
Old Apr 18th 2012, 12:01 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving to Melbourne

Don't know the accommodation but South Yarra is a fantastic area.

BB