Reload this Page >

Moving to Melbourne

Moving to Melbourne

Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

jwlms will become famous soon enough
Default Moving to Melbourne

Hi Guys

We want to move to Melbourne early next year so that my eldest can join her new school at the start of the school year, firstly I want to know what are the best areas in Melbourne to live, secondly do you know of any good state schools and thirdly how do you enrol ?

Any views are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Jason
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to Melbourne

Originally Posted by jwlms
Hi Guys

We want to move to Melbourne early next year so that my eldest can join her new school at the start of the school year, firstly I want to know what are the best areas in Melbourne to live, secondly do you know of any good state schools and thirdly how do you enrol ?

Many thanks

Jason
hi,

we live in mornington, a south east suburb of melbourne. we have been here since july and love it here. how old is your daughter?

we just picked a school and went to the main office, everyone was very helpful and we just took it from there

Marie
Old Oct 13th 2005, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

Thanks for the response, she is 5 and has already been to school here for over a year, I think she will be starting from scratch again in Aus.

What do you like about the area you live ?

Jason
Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:04 pm
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

Hi

Thanks for the response, she is 5 and has already been to school here for over a year, I think she will be starting from scratch again in Aus.

Jason
Hi

Were looking at going to Mount Eliza hopefully early next year, the school there we have been told is very good, we have emailed the Principal and he was very helpful. Both kids will be attending the same school for year, which Im sure will help my 6yr old daughter settle in much quicker, knowing her big brother is there as well.

Can let you have email address of school if your interested.

Jo
Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:06 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Thats the peace shattered early next year then.

Old Oct 14th 2005, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Guys

Many thanks

Jason
Hi Jason,

Traditionally, the 'best areas' of Melbourne are located inner East, South and South East. Obviously, this also means that they are the most expensive areas as well. If cost is not a determining factor then have a look at areas like Hawthorn, Kew, Camberwell, Glen Iris, Malvern, Caulfield. Camberwell High school has been voted the best govt school in Melbourne and so parents are often desperate to have an address in the catchment area. That said, I am sure there are some very good schools in other areas that people will mention. About 40% of Melbourne's school children go to non-government schools (church and independent).

As far as choosing areas, if really depends on what you are after. The closer you are to the city then the more expensive the areas but you would have good access to the city, good transport. However, some people choose to live further out where the housing is cheaper and bigger and would be closer to the great ocean road (stunning) or the dandenongs (also beautiful). If you prefer to be in the hustle and bustle of life, close to shops, restaurants, theatres etc then somewhere like Prahran or St. Kilda. If you like the suburbs but want to be close to the city then Kew or Camberwell and if you would rather live further from the city and have space then perhaps the Dandenongs (and surrounds).

Good luck

Last edited by Shellfish; Oct 14th 2005 at 12:15 am.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Jason
Hi!
It depends when your daughter was 5 - if it was before 30th April she will be able to go into grade 1 in January 06, if it was after then you are correct in saying she would start prep in January. I do know some people have managed to get their kids into school sooner than they would have because they have already done schooling in the uk and would be way ahead of their peers in prep. However, the social aspect has to be looked into - some kids are 6 by the time they start prep as they tend to hold them back here and start them later.

We are currently in Ivanhoe - landed here by luck really last Jan. It is a very nice area, good schools, 20 mins by train from the city = quite pricey to buy!! We may move further out, but like the north east suburbs very much. You can see the various schools on this website http://www.eduweb.vic.gov.au/schools...sp?StartWith=A (that's the government schools)

You will usually need proof of an address in the area to register at a school. The office will probably be open about a week before term starts (I think they go back around Jan 30). You would need a copy of the birth certificate, immunisation certificate and we had to show our visa. You would then need to purchase uniform and the school stationery list (ours was just under $200 just for stationery)

Good luck with your plans!

Ruth
Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Many thanks

Jason

Jason,

We've just moved to Melbourne with 2 young kids (3 and 5) and after looking at Camberwell, Kew, Balwyn etc we settled on Beaumaris. The Bayside area is fantastic and a real change from our Hampshire village. I relocated with a colleague from the UK who has 4 teenage kids. They moved to Black Rock, also in Bayside and his family love it and have settled very well. The area is perfect for kids - beach, only 25 mins drive or train to the CBD and well positioned for the peninsula.

"Best areas" very much depends on personal taste and lifestyle and most importantly budget. Most of the "best" areas are considered to be east and south east. You really need to be here to see for your self. Have a few areas in mind, focus on them initially but be prepared to change. Tell local people what you want and they will help.

Re schools, my wife fretted about this more than anything. The best thing to do is arrive, find an area and then find a school. Once we settled on an area we were able to ask locals, estate agents, colleagues what the local schools were like. Get friendly with your real estate agents as we found them to be a great source of knowledge. Once we settled on an area we went and spoke to the schools - they were terrific. Very understanding and accommodating. We got feedback on a few and then went with our own instinct - did we like the teacher & head teacher, were the facilities good etc.

It's all a bit daunting but surprisingly easy once you find an area/house.

Good luck - Melbourne is a terrific place.

Cheers,
Col
Old Oct 14th 2005, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys,

These forums are really great. Thanks for all your advice and help, it is very much appreciated.

Jason
Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:28 pm
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bordy
Thats the peace shattered early next year then.

I do hope you weren't referring to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jo
Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:44 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Joanne
I do hope you weren't referring to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jo
As if I would.

Look forward to meeting up next year.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent advice from Haggis Supper, Pootle, Shellfish etc (but not Bordy).

I'm from Williamstown so don't exclude the west from your thoughts. OK the west side isn't as consistently good as the east and south east but it does have some good suburbs. What's more you will get the proximity to water and CBD that would cost you a lot more on the other side. The west and inner eastern suburbs will also give you the easiest access to the Great Ocean Road that someone mentioned - unless they are thinking of going down to Sorrento and getting the ferry across to Queenscliff!

It is very much a chicken and egg thing - do you settle on a suburb and then choose a school or do you choose a school and live nearby? It's more for others to say but I'd be inclined to settle on the area and pick the school. It is easy to enrol after you have made a few enquiries and some good tips on that have been given.

So, it very much depends on your budget, whether you want sea or hills, whether you want inner or outer suburbs and so on.

Good luck and you know you can get plenty of info on here - just fire away your questions and people will help.

OzTennis
Old Oct 14th 2005, 2:11 pm
The Godfather

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Excellent advice from Haggis Supper, Pootle, Shellfish etc (but not Bordy).

OzTennis

One day I'm gonna hammer you at tennis. When are you 60??
Old Oct 14th 2005, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
One day I'm gonna hammer you at tennis. When are you 60??
See that flag under your name? I've played for 'that mob' so you'll need to wait until I'm over 80 and I'll play left handed. Then I'll go and watch the Bulldogs beat the Bombers (and Sheedy will still be coaching them)

OzTennis
Old Oct 14th 2005, 2:16 pm
The Godfather

Originally Posted by OzTennis
See that flag under your name? I've played for 'that mob' so you'll need to wait until I'm over 80 and I'll play left handed. Then I'll go and watch the Bulldogs beat the Bombers (and Sheedy will still be coaching them)

OzTennis

Next year is a good one, I'm gonna take out membership with the bombers & take my Scottish flag to Melbourne park & get Andy Murray to sign it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.