Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Melbourne

Wikiposts

Moving to Melbourne

Old Jan 6th 2004, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice
Default Re: Melborune

Originally posted by Bret

Are you taking furniture with you or are you also looking for furnished accomodation?
We will be letting our house in England and renting in Melbourne.

We are planning to travel light and may ship over a few personal items.

Apparently, you can rent furniture in Melbourne. If anyone can recommend any reputable, good value hire companies please let me know.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice
Default Re: Melborune

Helen & Bret,

Sent you a PM re: my previous posting on 11th Nov '03 requesting info about Melbourne and it's suburbs.

Regards,
Caroline G
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:39 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Melbourne

Originally posted by devtrend
Hi to really fit in in Melbourne take a raincoat and a can of spray paint and please make sure you perfect you're tag before you arrive.
I have seen "tagging" in some suburbs and none in others. We had the advantage of having family to guide us to the better suburbs.

Yep it does rain, but then I ain't gonna complain because our house is not on mains water so every rain shower fills up my tank.

Also I like the changeable weather because after a few stinking hot days its nice when the temperature drops by 10-15 degrees.

We're fresh off the boat and having a great time in Melbourne., well I say Melbourne we havn't actually been into the City at present (We live about 35km away).
Old Jan 6th 2004, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved to Melbourne in July 03. I was lucky to get a job before leaving the UK and work put us up for the first month in a 2 bed serviced apartment in South Yarra. It cost about $2000 a week so I'm glad they paid. We spent that first month looking for a rental property - be warned they all come unfurnished (unless you want a serviced one and they cost too much). We had to buy beds and sofas - we used IKEA. There are two in Melbourne at Richmond and Moorabbin.

We spent the weekends driving from area to area looking at rental properties. They are open for inspection for about 15 minutes on weekends. The Age newspaper gives the best listing. Most of the ones we looked at were crap ($350 - $500 a week 3 bed family homes) for eastern suburbs. However we ended up with a nice new 3 bed house in Bentleigh East for $370 a week. Most landlords will want you to sign up for at least a year. Living in Bentleigh was a good move as it showed us what we were really looking for (i.e. everthing Bentleigh and the new house was not!!!) We wanted a home not an investment, the sea not bland suburbs. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with Bentleigh but put it this way you would not leave all your family and friends and move half way around the world to live there.

Our plan was to rent for a year then buy but we bought a house in Brighton and moved in just before Christmas. Brighton is a great spot beside the sea and just 25 mins by train from the city. I cycle to work in 30 minutes. However Brighton is expensive by any standard and prices easily match those of London houses, but Brighton in much better value. Our house is 4 bed on a 650 square meter plot close to shops, schools, train and the sea. It cost $800+ when stamp duty etc are added in (We paid $45k in stamp duty). We could have got a bigger house for much less elsewhere in Melbourne but I'm sure if we had we would by heading back to the Uk in the next year or so.

When we were in the UK we wanted a new build open plan house house and no mortgage. However after looking around that all changed. After living in an open plan house with two kids I can't recommend it!!!!!! You need some room to escape them no matter how much you love them. The new houses are great but I feel the new areas lack character and none are close to the sea. We ended up buying a 1920's house. I note another poster raves about new areas so it is a very subjective matter - each to their own.

The people in work were a great help giving advice on areas to live. The all said avoid the west, Frankston, and Dandenong areas. Malvern, Camberwell and Brighton were all rated (but they are the most expensive as well). Williamstown is lovely but the approaches to it are all through very industrial areas with plenty of refineries, trucks, etc etc.

Melbourne is great, the weather is changable but I like that.

For maps get a Melway they are the best. see www.melway.com.au

Last edited by NJFOZ; Jan 6th 2004 at 10:40 am.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by helenmaine
Hi -the University will be putting us up in temporary accomodation for a couple of weeks when we get there and we are planing on looking for a rental place then. Is this realistic? We have funds for a resonable deposit and good references and I will not be working so will be able to hunt for a house 'full time' . Williamstown looks nice, but might be a bit far out for us. What would you say the total commute time to the university would be from there? Is it on the tramn line or would you have to get a train then a tram?

Are there any other places that you would recommend living that are about 30 minutes total commute time to the University? We would probably like to live a little way out of the city.

I used to work with a Professor from Monash Geography Department when I was at Glasgow - Paul Bishop. He was quite a character!

Cheers!
Williamstown is only 9 km from the CBD and University - 20 minutes by train (they are every 20 minutes, less by car - via car and the Westgate Bridge I can be in the middle of the CBD in 10 minutes). It isn't on the tram line being to the south west of CBD and across the bay. My feeling would be that you could do a bit of preliminary research about suburbs (I posted median prices above and check out domain.com.au and realestate.com.au etc) but wait until you are in Melbourne and can have a look around yourself. If you want me to comment on any suburbs in the meantime I will be glad to.

It was interesting to see that you worked with one of my brother's colleagues. I will pass this on next time I am emailing him. I also noted that you were in Edinburgh originally, we are in 'Bonnie Galloway'.

OzTennis
Old Jan 6th 2004, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

Wheresthesense is an unknown quantity at this point

Graffitti is bad in Melbourne in almost every suburb.

Most of it isn't even good graffitti. Rubbish everywhere is also a problem.

Australians don't seem to understand that they have a brilliant country, they just want to ruin it with crap everywhere.

I've been to about 35 other countries and other than London, I haven't seen much worse in the way fo graffitti or rubbish.

Doesn't help when the local council garbage collectors distribute most of our household rubbish around the streets as they can't be bothered to leave the vans! :scared:
Old Jan 7th 2004, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NJFOZ
We moved to Melbourne in July 03. I was lucky to get a job before leaving the UK and work put us up for the first month in a 2 bed serviced apartment in South Yarra. It cost about $2000 a week so I'm glad they paid. We spent that first month looking for a rental property - be warned they all come unfurnished (unless you want a serviced one and they cost too much). We had to buy beds and sofas - we used IKEA. There are two in Melbourne at Richmond and Moorabbin.

We spent the weekends driving from area to area looking at rental properties. They are open for inspection for about 15 minutes on weekends. The Age newspaper gives the best listing. Most of the ones we looked at were crap ($350 - $500 a week 3 bed family homes) for eastern suburbs. However we ended up with a nice new 3 bed house in Bentleigh East for $370 a week. Most landlords will want you to sign up for at least a year. Living in Bentleigh was a good move as it showed us what we were really looking for (i.e. everthing Bentleigh and the new house was not!!!) We wanted a home not an investment, the sea not bland suburbs. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with Bentleigh but put it this way you would not leave all your family and friends and move half way around the world to live there.

Our plan was to rent for a year then buy but we bought a house in Brighton and moved in just before Christmas. Brighton is a great spot beside the sea and just 25 mins by train from the city. I cycle to work in 30 minutes. However Brighton is expensive by any standard and prices easily match those of London houses, but Brighton in much better value. Our house is 4 bed on a 650 square meter plot close to shops, schools, train and the sea. It cost $800+ when stamp duty etc are added in (We paid $45k in stamp duty). We could have got a bigger house for much less elsewhere in Melbourne but I'm sure if we had we would by heading back to the Uk in the next year or so.

When we were in the UK we wanted a new build open plan house house and no mortgage. However after looking around that all changed. After living in an open plan house with two kids I can't recommend it!!!!!! You need some room to escape them no matter how much you love them. The new houses are great but I feel the new areas lack character and none are close to the sea. We ended up buying a 1920's house. I note another poster raves about new areas so it is a very subjective matter - each to their own.

The people in work were a great help giving advice on areas to live. The all said avoid the west, Frankston, and Dandenong areas. Malvern, Camberwell and Brighton were all rated (but they are the most expensive as well). Williamstown is lovely but the approaches to it are all through very industrial areas with plenty of refineries, trucks, etc etc.

Melbourne is great, the weather is changable but I like that.

For maps get a Melway they are the best. see www.melway.com.au
Very interesting post. You've got a lovely 'burb in Brighton. I remember in July we had coffee at the place next to the yacht club and pier (can't think of the name) as well as fantastic fish and chips from across the road. Further down at the car park we got the obligatory photo of the bathing huts, bay and city skyline.

I must leap to Williamstown's defence I agree about the surrounding areas but if you come off the Westgate Bridge you are almost there and avoid the industrial areas. A recent article on Melbourne's top 100 streets had 2 from Williamstown in the top 10 with 1 in the top 3 (can't be too bad).

OzTennis
Old Jan 7th 2004, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

helenmaine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by OzTennis
Williamstown is only 9 km from the CBD and University - 20 minutes by train (they are every 20 minutes, less by car - via car and the Westgate Bridge I can be in the middle of the CBD in 10 minutes). It isn't on the tram line being to the south west of CBD and across the bay. My feeling would be that you could do a bit of preliminary research about suburbs (I posted median prices above and check out domain.com.au and realestate.com.au etc) but wait until you are in Melbourne and can have a look around yourself. If you want me to comment on any suburbs in the meantime I will be glad to.

It was interesting to see that you worked with one of my brother's colleagues. I will pass this on next time I am emailing him. I also noted that you were in Edinburgh originally, we are in 'Bonnie Galloway'.

OzTennis
Thanks that's good to know. What is the traffic like for driving though? 10 minutes sounds very quick for inner-city commuting.

We were sort of hoping to be able to do without a car, for at least a month or two. Do you think that we'd be able to get around to see rental properties without one? Do you have any other suggestions for nice areas to live that are about 20 minutes train/tram communte from the city. I am just doing research at the moment and any advice is welcome!

Galloway is nice - we were living in Leith, Edinburgh before here (here being Maine, USA). I miss the city a bit so it will be good to get to Melbourne.

Old Jan 7th 2004, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by helenmaine
Thanks that's good to know. What is the traffic like for driving though? 10 minutes sounds very quick for inner-city commuting.

We were sort of hoping to be able to do without a car, for at least a month or two. Do you think that we'd be able to get around to see rental properties without one? Do you have any other suggestions for nice areas to live that are about 20 minutes train/tram communte from the city. I am just doing research at the moment and any advice is welcome!

Galloway is nice - we were living in Leith, Edinburgh before here (here being Maine, USA). I miss the city a bit so it will be good to get to Melbourne.

Helen

I'm sure that if you choose where you live (close to station, tram stop, bus stop) that it is possible to survive without a car for a while. 20 minutes by train to the city is probably up to 15 km. Commute times vary wildly by car and bus but train and tram times are more predictable. Melbourne has an integrated transport system. You buy a ticket and it can be used on trains, trams and some buses. The whole city is divided into zones (1, 2 and 3) with zone 1 inner, zone 2 middle and zone 3 outer. Prices are of course lower for zone 1. Tickets can be bought for an hour or two, all day, weekly or monthly and you validate them on the train station or tram. My guess is that if you are looking for somewhere within 20 minutes commute then you are definitely talking zone 1.

Decent suburbs to look for within zone 1? There are literally dozens and of course it depends on your budget. Rental values will correlate reasonably with the house values I posted earlier. For example the most expensive suburb to rent would be Toorak. So here's a few for you to look at in no particular order - Toorak, South Yarra, Kew, Albert Park, Beacon Cove, Port Melbourne, St Kilda, Balwyn, Brighton, Beaumaris, Sandringham, Bentleigh, Camberwell, Caulfield, Hawthorn, Eaglemont, Hampton, Ivanhoe, Malvern, Mont Albert. If you want inner city living, close to the Uni then there is Parkville, Carlton and Fitzroy as well as Docklands.

A few links to get more info on public transport:

http://www.victrip.com.au/ (includes maps with public transport routes)

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguid...transportation

Someone else gave a link to the obligatory Melways maps as well.

We visit Edinburgh frequently and love it. Leith I know well because I sometimes play tennis at Next Generation Club on the waterfront near the Britannia.

Get back to me with any specific questions you might have as I'm only too pleased to help where I can.

OzTennis
Old Jan 8th 2004, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

helenmaine is an unknown quantity at this point

OzTennis

Thanks for all that information - it gives me a great place to start looking for apartments.

Helen
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Helen

Check your Private Messages.

OzTennis