Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Melboure where to live?

Moving to Melboure where to live?

Old Mar 4th 2006, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

paulouise is on a distinguished road
Default Moving to Melboure where to live?

Can anyone help we are coming over to Melbourne in about 4-6 weeeks, just waiting to have medicals and xrays for 457 long stay.
I am having trouble getting info on suburbs in melbourne to live.
My partner is starting a job in Sunshine but we have been advised not to live there. To start with we need somthing cheap & cheerful, but in an area which is nice to settle, we have two boys 16 & 7.
Also anyone know about how we can go about getting permanent residency we are in on a 457.
Thanks very much and sorry if these questions have all been asked hundreds of times before- first time on site
Louise
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Melboure where to live?

Originally Posted by paulouise
Also anyone know about how we can go about getting permanent residency we are in on a 457.
How to get permanent residence depends on your circumstances, there is no automatic permanent residence for 457 holders and quite a few have to go home whether they like it or not.

If you go to http://www.immi.gov.au you can download migration booklets 5 and 6 which give details of employer nominated and general skilled options.

Also, http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au has Victoria specific information.

If you have left an older daughter in the UK you need to think hard about how you deal with her status when you apply to migrate as she may change her mind and the wrong decision could mean it's impossible for her to join you.

Ask further on the immigration forum, and do get professional advice if confused.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
How to get permanent residence depends on your circumstances, there is no automatic permanent residence for 457 holders and quite a few have to go home whether they like it or not.

If you go to http://www.immi.gov.au you can download migration booklets 5 and 6 which give details of employer nominated and general skilled options.

Also, http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au has Victoria specific information.

If you have left an older daughter in the UK you need to think hard about how you deal with her status when you apply to migrate as she may change her mind and the wrong decision could mean it's impossible for her to join you.

Ask further on the immigration forum, and do get professional advice if confused.
Thanks will do
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone help we are coming over to Melbourne in about 4-6 weeeks, just waiting to have medicals and xrays for 457 long stay.
My partner is starting a job in Sunshine but we have been advised not to live there. To start with we need somthing cheap & cheerful, but in an area which is nice to settle, we have two boys 16 & 7.
Thanks very much and sorry if these questions have all been asked hundreds of times before- first time on site
Louise

There is a suburb close to Sunshine, that most posters on here will balk at when I advise you to live there. Except for the ones that "really" know this city. It's going through an extreme gentrification process at present. The schools are good, the shopping is fantastic. Check it out throughly. One other factor, if you buy property there, it wont just double in ten years, it is likely to triple.

Footscray

Be Sure to only look South of Ballarat Road.

http://www.footscray.vic.edu.au/

http://www.heritage.vic.gov.au/page.asp?ID=92

http://www.community.newsmedianet.co...jsp?titleid=50

Less than 8 ks from the CBD, Absolute guaranteed rock solid investment, The most improving suburb in Melbourne.

Do some research...

Hopefully a couple of posters, will come in like oztennis, and confirm what I have said.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
There is a suburb close to Sunshine, that most posters on here will balk at when I advise you to live there. Except for the ones that "really" know this city. It's going through an extreme gentrification process at present. The schools are good, the shopping is fantastic. Check it out throughly. One other factor, if you buy property there, it wont just double in ten years, it is likely to triple.

Footscray

Be Sure to only look South of Ballarat Road.

http://www.footscray.vic.edu.au/

http://www.heritage.vic.gov.au/page.asp?ID=92

http://www.community.newsmedianet.co...jsp?titleid=50

Less than 8 ks from the CBD, Absolute guaranteed rock solid investment, The most improving suburb in Melbourne.

Do some research...

Hopefully a couple of posters, will come in like oztennis, and confirm what I have said.

Oh my god you're saying that someone should move to footscray :scared: what kind of sick joke is this?????

Not sure I'd want to go into footscray after sunset and I would not advise others to do so. But if you've found a little haven there good on ya keep it secret before all the criminal factions around you come calling lol
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:51 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Oh my god you're saying that someone should move to footscray :scared: what kind of sick joke is this?????

Not sure I'd want to go into footscray after sunset and I would not advise others to do so. But if you've found a little haven there good on ya keep it secret before all the criminal factions around you come calling lol

Are you still in Yorkshire?
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

OK Footscray
Whats good about it & whats bad about it
thanks Louise
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

OK Footscray
Whats good about it & whats bad about it
thanks Louise

Good about it lots of little shops where total bargains can be picked up.... Bad about it go there after sunset and see how comfortable you feel....it's not a nice place in my opinion, this view is shared by most of my Aus family who live not too far away from footscray...I didn't like it there when I was there in 2004 apart from the bargain shopping there was nothing I could really find positive to say about the place. But others views may differ and they may actually live there and have a really great place and love living there!
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Are you still in Yorkshire?

Yes I live in beautiful yorkshire not far from the white horse, rolling countryside all around me, life is good, well apart from the weather.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:59 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Good about it lots of little shops where total bargains can be picked up.... Bad about it go there after sunset and see how comfortable you feel....it's not a nice place in my opinion, this view is shared by most of my Aus family who live not too far away from footscray...I didn't like it there when I was there in 2004 apart from the bargain shopping there was nothing I could really find positive to say about the place. But others views may differ and they may actually live there and have a really great place and love living there!

Are you going to Melbourne as well AB ?

When are you hoping to go?
Old Mar 5th 2006, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Are you going to Melbourne as well AB ?

When are you hoping to go?

Have some family in Werribee and Hoppers both way too far away from the sea. Was looking more toward Geelong...but not sure as yet.....have major issues about the whole thing at the moment, very undecided about what to do next, would go into detail but I wouldn't want to bring a major depression to all on this thread .
Oh sorry missed it when ??????????????? how long is a piece of string, was hoping before 2010 but god knows

Last edited by Australia_bound?; Mar 5th 2006 at 12:05 am.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Footscray...nice

I myself live in Newport, a few min walk from Williamstown which is a lovely area but alot more expensive. No trams out this way and if you need to drive to work in the city expect a complete nightmare over the Westgate bridge until they have built the tunnel (whenever that may be). Is only a 15-20 min trip in on the train though, although the trains are also very crowded during rush hour, but at least you can get on I used to live in Southbank, and if I needed to get a tram in rush hour I would sometimes have to let 3 or 4 trams go past as there was literally no room to stand.

Alot of people are moving to Point Cook and Hoppers Crossing which I wouldn't personally consider for myself in one hundred years as from what I've seen it is just one big housing estate (little Florida). The people who live there will be able to tell you about it I'm sure so I will say no more
Old Mar 5th 2006, 7:47 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Louise
Hi Louise,
I have sent you an email about this so keep an eye out for it as I have a pdf file that may be of help to you both.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

There is also an article in this weeks age, confirming what I've posted, in the Domain section.

Take it or leave it

Within ten years, Footscray will be the equal of Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond, Brunswick and Fitzroy Which will make it the fastest suburb to ever undergo the Gentrification process in Melbourne.

26 years of living in this city, tells me this view is correct.

To the OP, do some research on the amenties around the area and the school results. To see if it meets your needs, if it 3/4's does the job, stand by for a very predictable Property boom windfall.

It will surge in value past my Suburb of Coburg, also passing Preston, Yarraville, Seddon, Thornbury. Boxhill, Reservoir, and many mid range mid distance eastern Suburbs. Thats all without a crystal ball.

It's also within 15 mins of Where your Partner will be working.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 8:35 pm
Living the Dream!

Have some family in Werribee and Hoppers both way too far away from the sea. Was looking more toward Geelong...but not sure as yet.....have major issues about the whole thing at the moment, very undecided about what to do next, would go into detail but I wouldn't want to bring a major depression to all on this thread .
Oh sorry missed it when ??????????????? how long is a piece of string, was hoping before 2010 but god knows
I hope all your plans work out for you then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.