British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Moving to Margate, Brisbane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/moving-margate-brisbane-665441/)

171967 Apr 24th 2010 11:03 pm

Moving to Margate, Brisbane

We are moving to the Margate/Redcliffe area in July of this year and wondered if anyone had any comments with regard to the area and tips to make the move easier (I can live in hope!) My 8 year old will be starting school as soon as we arrive and I will be looking for work as a Kindergarten Teacher/Childcare coordinator. Many thanks

ABCDiamond Apr 25th 2010 6:14 am

Re: Moving to Margate, Brisbane

1 Attachment(s)
Nice safe beach in the area....

Redcliffe Beach
http://www.abcdiamond.com.au/wp-cont...13-300x225.jpg

plus two more photos from a Real Estate agents site, Gateway Properties Redcliffe. Hope they don't mind me using them.

ScuntoBris Apr 25th 2010 9:29 am

Margate is nice, we lived in Redcliffe when we first moved out here and it is a nice place to live. It's not the Sunshine or Gold Coast, but has a nice family atmosphere and is a great place to live for young families. It is growing in popularity and developing into a nicer area. Public transportation links aren't great, but manageable.

Best website for looking for a job is www.seek.com.au and for schools, check out http://education.qld.gov.au/ and look at the parents section initially.

For kindergarten teaching, a couple of main providers in the area are C&K http://www.candk.asn.au/ and childcare centres are popular, a couple of main players are ABC Childcare http://www.childcare.com.au/ and Sesame Lane www.sesamelane.com.au

Good luck!

Carl England Apr 27th 2010 6:09 am

Originally Posted by 171967 (Post 8519305)
We are moving to the Margate/Redcliffe area in July of this year and wondered if anyone had any comments with regard to the area and tips to make the move easier (I can live in hope!) My 8 year old will be starting school as soon as we arrive and I will be looking for work as a Kindergarten Teacher/Childcare coordinator. Many thanks

Hello
I am moving to Redcliffe two weeks today, I am going out first to find a rental and stuff like that job, car etc then my wife and kids are coming out on June 8th.
Will have to keep in contact
Regards
Carl

171967 Apr 27th 2010 6:28 am

Dear Carl
It would be really helpful to know how you get on, especially with the rental. I have been looking for an apartment to rent as well, but hopefully my husband will head over (we live in HK at the moment) in June to do a recce. Had to get a feel for a place over the internet.
Kathryn

pproehann Apr 27th 2010 8:01 am

Originally Posted by 171967 (Post 8519305)

Before you get here unfortunatly but a few of us were going to have a meet up at the Belverdere at Woody Point which is on the Peninsula and definitley worth a visit for good drink and food... there's a link to the hotel on the meet thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665339

jad n rich Apr 27th 2010 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by pproehann (Post 8524031)
Before you get here unfortunatly but a few of us were going to have a meet up at the Belverdere at Woody Point which is on the Peninsula and definitley worth a visit for good drink and food... there's a link to the hotel on the meet thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665339

We had a house almost next door to that pub:thumbsup:.

Anyone moving to the Woody Point area and surrounds will be laughing in a year or so. The new bridge to brisbane opens this year, all 6 lanes will be open 2011. And the redcliffe council is spending another 20 million on the main street. Huge development and money flowing in and you can still pick up houses cheap as chips.

DeadVim Apr 27th 2010 10:23 pm

I couldn't live there ... I'd be missing Bembom Brothers Amusement Park ...

Seriously, if I wasn't living here then I'd be living there :thumbup:

Broad Shoulders Apr 27th 2010 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 8525870)
I couldn't live there ... I'd be missing Bembom Brothers Amusement Park ...

Seriously, if I wasn't living here then I'd be living there :thumbup:

Jeez, that takes me back! Forgot all about that part of my life! I'm sure for a reason!!

Broad Shoulders Apr 27th 2010 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 8525858)
We had a house almost next door to that pub:thumbsup:.

Anyone moving to the Woody Point area and surrounds will be laughing in a year or so. The new bridge to brisbane opens this year, all 6 lanes will be open 2011. And the redcliffe council is spending another 20 million on the main street. Huge development and money flowing in and you can still pick up houses cheap as chips.

The bridge should be open before that. They recently announced they are about 4 months ahead of schedule. The new one will be open in May, but they are closing the old one for maintenance for a few months but they expect to have both up before the end of Nov at the moment. Either way, I really don't think it will change much. I've lived here for 6 years now and the bridge has rarely been the problem. The Gateway and lack of train link are the main problems if you are travelling into Brisbane (which I do daily).

The 20m refurb of the seafront is a bit of a controversial one locally. They did something similar a few years ago on the Margate high street and it has had zero positive impact on the area. Personally I think much more could be done with the seafront, for starters by closing down the pawn shops and Crazy Clark's and leasing the buildings to restaurants that already do really well on that front.

jad n rich Apr 27th 2010 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 8525907)
The bridge should be open before that. They recently announced they are about 4 months ahead of schedule. The new one will be open in May, but they are closing the old one for maintenance for a few months but they expect to have both up before the end of Nov at the moment. Either way, I really don't think it will change much. I've lived here for 6 years now and the bridge has rarely been the problem. The Gateway and lack of train link are the main problems if you are travelling into Brisbane (which I do daily).

The 20m refurb of the seafront is a bit of a controversial one locally. They did something similar a few years ago on the Margate high street and it has had zero positive impact on the area. Personally I think much more could be done with the seafront, for starters by closing down the pawn shops and Crazy Clark's and leasing the buildings to restaurants that already do really well on that front.

November is good, think when we were there they were talking 2012!!

The gateway:eek: is a problem for anyone trying to do north/south brisbane ( gateway bridge is nowhere near redcliffe for those reading in UK ). I did think there were going to be improved links from redcliffe to the airport north bris too, but bit out of touch with it all now.

We always used to drive out, but there is a bus link over the bridge to the train station as an option but never used it.

DeadVim Apr 28th 2010 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 8525894)
Jeez, that takes me back! Forgot all about that part of my life! I'm sure for a reason!!

Nobody can forget The Looping Star AND The Mary Rose surely? :thumbup:

Broad Shoulders Apr 28th 2010 3:59 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 8525997)
November is good, think when we were there they were talking 2012!!

The gateway:eek: is a problem for anyone trying to do north/south brisbane ( gateway bridge is nowhere near redcliffe for those reading in UK ). I did think there were going to be improved links from redcliffe to the airport north bris too, but bit out of touch with it all now.

We always used to drive out, but there is a bus link over the bridge to the train station as an option but never used it.

Yeah the Airport link has finished from the Gateway Nudgee part and it has made Gateway traffic a lot worse on the Northside. I know there are more plans to improve the Gateway motorway but I don't believe anymore of that is on the Northside, which is where the worst of it is currently. It is still just about quicker for me to drive into South Bank than it is to catch the train. Don't even bother with the bus!

pproehann Apr 30th 2010 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 8526445)
Yeah the Airport link has finished from the Gateway Nudgee part and it has made Gateway traffic a lot worse on the Northside. I know there are more plans to improve the Gateway motorway but I don't believe anymore of that is on the Northside, which is where the worst of it is currently. It is still just about quicker for me to drive into South Bank than it is to catch the train. Don't even bother with the bus!

Train would be fine if the ever put the line in.

fish.01 May 1st 2010 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 8526445)

Aren't they still to open the two bridges though? Six lanes each way should help throughput.