Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Margate, Brisbane

Moving to Margate, Brisbane

Old Apr 25th 2010, 12:03 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 5
171967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Margate, Brisbane

We are moving to the Margate/Redcliffe area in July of this year and wondered if anyone had any comments with regard to the area and tips to make the move easier (I can live in hope!) My 8 year old will be starting school as soon as we arrive and I will be looking for work as a Kindergarten Teacher/Childcare coordinator. Many thanks
171967 is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:14 am
  #2  
ABCDiamond
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Moving to Margate, Brisbane

Nice safe beach in the area....

Redcliffe Beach


plus two more photos from a Real Estate agents site, Gateway Properties Redcliffe. Hope they don't mind me using them.
Attached Thumbnails Moving to Margate, Brisbane-redcliffe.png  
 
Old Apr 25th 2010, 10:29 am
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Pine Rivers Shire, QLD
Posts: 302
ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moving to Margate, Brisbane

Margate is nice, we lived in Redcliffe when we first moved out here and it is a nice place to live. It's not the Sunshine or Gold Coast, but has a nice family atmosphere and is a great place to live for young families. It is growing in popularity and developing into a nicer area. Public transportation links aren't great, but manageable.

Best website for looking for a job is www.seek.com.au and for schools, check out http://education.qld.gov.au/ and look at the parents section initially.

For kindergarten teaching, a couple of main providers in the area are C&K http://www.candk.asn.au/ and childcare centres are popular, a couple of main players are ABC Childcare http://www.childcare.com.au/ and Sesame Lane www.sesamelane.com.au

Good luck!
ScuntoBris is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:09 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Brisbane Queensland
Posts: 168
Carl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Margate, Brisbane

Originally Posted by 171967 View Post
We are moving to the Margate/Redcliffe area in July of this year and wondered if anyone had any comments with regard to the area and tips to make the move easier (I can live in hope!) My 8 year old will be starting school as soon as we arrive and I will be looking for work as a Kindergarten Teacher/Childcare coordinator. Many thanks
Hello
I am moving to Redcliffe two weeks today, I am going out first to find a rental and stuff like that job, car etc then my wife and kids are coming out on June 8th.
Will have to keep in contact
Regards
Carl
Carl England is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:28 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 5
171967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Margate, Brisbane

Dear Carl
It would be really helpful to know how you get on, especially with the rental. I have been looking for an apartment to rent as well, but hopefully my husband will head over (we live in HK at the moment) in June to do a recce. Had to get a feel for a place over the internet.
Kathryn
171967 is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2010, 9:01 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
pproehann's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,283
pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to Margate, Brisbane

Originally Posted by 171967 View Post
We are moving to the Margate/Redcliffe area in July of this year and wondered if anyone had any comments with regard to the area and tips to make the move easier (I can live in hope!) My 8 year old will be starting school as soon as we arrive and I will be looking for work as a Kindergarten Teacher/Childcare coordinator. Many thanks
Before you get here unfortunatly but a few of us were going to have a meet up at the Belverdere at Woody Point which is on the Peninsula and definitley worth a visit for good drink and food... there's a link to the hotel on the meet thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665339
pproehann is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:19 pm
  #7  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,375
jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Margate, Brisbane

Originally Posted by pproehann View Post
Before you get here unfortunatly but a few of us were going to have a meet up at the Belverdere at Woody Point which is on the Peninsula and definitley worth a visit for good drink and food... there's a link to the hotel on the meet thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665339
We had a house almost next door to that pub.

Anyone moving to the Woody Point area and surrounds will be laughing in a year or so. The new bridge to brisbane opens this year, all 6 lanes will be open 2011. And the redcliffe council is spending another 20 million on the main street. Huge development and money flowing in and you can still pick up houses cheap as chips.
jad n rich is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:23 pm
  #8  
Mostly Harmless
 
DeadVim's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Semi-rural wonderworld, Brisbane
Posts: 15,108
DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Margate, Brisbane

I couldn't live there ... I'd be missing Bembom Brothers Amusement Park ...

Seriously, if I wasn't living here then I'd be living there
DeadVim is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:29 pm
  #9  
I'm Old Gregg!
 
Broad Shoulders's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: A Former Bogan Colony in QLD
Posts: 8,460
Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Margate, Brisbane

Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
I couldn't live there ... I'd be missing Bembom Brothers Amusement Park ...

Seriously, if I wasn't living here then I'd be living there
Jeez, that takes me back! Forgot all about that part of my life! I'm sure for a reason!!
Broad Shoulders is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:34 pm
  #10  
I'm Old Gregg!
 
Broad Shoulders's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: A Former Bogan Colony in QLD
Posts: 8,460
Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Margate, Brisbane

Originally Posted by jad n rich View Post
We had a house almost next door to that pub.

Anyone moving to the Woody Point area and surrounds will be laughing in a year or so. The new bridge to brisbane opens this year, all 6 lanes will be open 2011. And the redcliffe council is spending another 20 million on the main street. Huge development and money flowing in and you can still pick up houses cheap as chips.
The bridge should be open before that. They recently announced they are about 4 months ahead of schedule. The new one will be open in May, but they are closing the old one for maintenance for a few months but they expect to have both up before the end of Nov at the moment. Either way, I really don't think it will change much. I've lived here for 6 years now and the bridge has rarely been the problem. The Gateway and lack of train link are the main problems if you are travelling into Brisbane (which I do daily).

The 20m refurb of the seafront is a bit of a controversial one locally. They did something similar a few years ago on the Margate high street and it has had zero positive impact on the area. Personally I think much more could be done with the seafront, for starters by closing down the pawn shops and Crazy Clark's and leasing the buildings to restaurants that already do really well on that front.
Broad Shoulders is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2010, 12:13 am
  #11  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,375
jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Margate, Brisbane

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders View Post
The bridge should be open before that. They recently announced they are about 4 months ahead of schedule. The new one will be open in May, but they are closing the old one for maintenance for a few months but they expect to have both up before the end of Nov at the moment. Either way, I really don't think it will change much. I've lived here for 6 years now and the bridge has rarely been the problem. The Gateway and lack of train link are the main problems if you are travelling into Brisbane (which I do daily).

The 20m refurb of the seafront is a bit of a controversial one locally. They did something similar a few years ago on the Margate high street and it has had zero positive impact on the area. Personally I think much more could be done with the seafront, for starters by closing down the pawn shops and Crazy Clark's and leasing the buildings to restaurants that already do really well on that front.

November is good, think when we were there they were talking 2012!!

The gateway is a problem for anyone trying to do north/south brisbane ( gateway bridge is nowhere near redcliffe for those reading in UK ). I did think there were going to be improved links from redcliffe to the airport north bris too, but bit out of touch with it all now.

We always used to drive out, but there is a bus link over the bridge to the train station as an option but never used it.
jad n rich is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2010, 3:00 am
  #12  
Mostly Harmless
 
DeadVim's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Semi-rural wonderworld, Brisbane
Posts: 15,108
DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Margate, Brisbane

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders View Post
Jeez, that takes me back! Forgot all about that part of my life! I'm sure for a reason!!
Nobody can forget The Looping Star AND The Mary Rose surely?
DeadVim is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:59 am
  #13  
I'm Old Gregg!
 
Broad Shoulders's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: A Former Bogan Colony in QLD
Posts: 8,460
Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Margate, Brisbane

Originally Posted by jad n rich View Post
November is good, think when we were there they were talking 2012!!

The gateway is a problem for anyone trying to do north/south brisbane ( gateway bridge is nowhere near redcliffe for those reading in UK ). I did think there were going to be improved links from redcliffe to the airport north bris too, but bit out of touch with it all now.

We always used to drive out, but there is a bus link over the bridge to the train station as an option but never used it.
Yeah the Airport link has finished from the Gateway Nudgee part and it has made Gateway traffic a lot worse on the Northside. I know there are more plans to improve the Gateway motorway but I don't believe anymore of that is on the Northside, which is where the worst of it is currently. It is still just about quicker for me to drive into South Bank than it is to catch the train. Don't even bother with the bus!
Broad Shoulders is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:18 pm
  #14  
BE Forum Addict
 
pproehann's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,283
pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to Margate, Brisbane

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders View Post
Yeah the Airport link has finished from the Gateway Nudgee part and it has made Gateway traffic a lot worse on the Northside. I know there are more plans to improve the Gateway motorway but I don't believe anymore of that is on the Northside, which is where the worst of it is currently. It is still just about quicker for me to drive into South Bank than it is to catch the train. Don't even bother with the bus!
Train would be fine if the ever put the line in.
pproehann is offline  
Old May 1st 2010, 11:12 am
  #15  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
fish.01's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,039
fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Margate, Brisbane

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders View Post
Yeah the Airport link has finished from the Gateway Nudgee part and it has made Gateway traffic a lot worse on the Northside. I know there are more plans to improve the Gateway motorway but I don't believe anymore of that is on the Northside, which is where the worst of it is currently. It is still just about quicker for me to drive into South Bank than it is to catch the train. Don't even bother with the bus!
Aren't they still to open the two bridges though? Six lanes each way should help throughput.
fish.01 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.