Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Mandurah

Moving to Mandurah

Old May 3rd 2009, 5:39 am
Just Joined

idymash will become famous soon enough
Default Moving to Mandurah

Hi my wife and I are moving to Mandurah, WA in about a month's time. i am a dentist and will be working at a clinic there. We have yet to find something for my wife, a chartered accountant. What is the economic scene like, in WA? How bad has the recession been. We will be moving from Dubai. Its bad here but fortunately we haven't been affected personally!
How is Mandurah to live in? Is it practical to consider travelling from Mandurah to Perth daily if such a job opportunity arises for my wife?
Old May 3rd 2009, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

sue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Mandurah

Mandurah is beautiful!As for drive to Perth many do or go by train no problem.
Old May 3rd 2009, 10:33 am
K14
Forum Regular

K14 will become famous soon enoughK14 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by idymash
Hi my wife and I are moving to Mandurah, WA in about a month's time. i am a dentist and will be working at a clinic there. We have yet to find something for my wife, a chartered accountant. What is the economic scene like, in WA? How bad has the recession been. We will be moving from Dubai. Its bad here but fortunately we haven't been affected personally!
How is Mandurah to live in? Is it practical to consider travelling from Mandurah to Perth daily if such a job opportunity arises for my wife?
Hi

It takes 50 mins on the train from Mandurah up to Perth. The transperth website is quite good for looking up journeys.

I'm an accountant too. The adverts I've seen in the paper have been for someone with Australian experience, particularly tax experience (that's for working in practice). I've hardly seen any adverts for company accoutants here in Mandurah. There seems to be alot more job opportunities for accountants in Perth or north of Perth (which I guess there would be as it's a bigger city).

Good luck
Old May 3rd 2009, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Hi thanks a lot. Had a few other concerns too. We are brown-skinned and were concerned about racism. would that be a problem to look out for. Again, the economic downturn is a huge worry......will it be ok for us to move to Mandurah?
Old May 3rd 2009, 12:22 pm
K14
Forum Regular

K14 will become famous soon enoughK14 will become famous soon enough

Hi thanks a lot. Had a few other concerns too. We are brown-skinned and were concerned about racism. would that be a problem to look out for. Again, the economic downturn is a huge worry......will it be ok for us to move to Mandurah?
have sent you a pm
Old May 3rd 2009, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. We live in Mandurah and have done so for the last 8 months and loved every minute of it. I cant comment on your wifes job, but only that WA has probably weathered the storm better than most.
As for the commute to Perth, i do it nearly every day unless work takes me away, as my office is in the city and dont mind it at all and i am in Dawesville which is south of Mandurah.
The public transport is excellent and cheap - though dont even consider driving to the city in peak hours.
As for racism, my wife is Peruvian and while i would say the non white population are is very small, we have never, nor have our friends who are mainly non white experienced any racism.
If there is anything else i can help with, please feel free to pm me
Old May 3rd 2009, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

stewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to all

If u like flies you will love it
Old May 4th 2009, 12:46 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

We've been living in Mandurah since the beginning of the year and love it. As others have said, your wife's best bet would def be Perth, but it is an easy, cheap commute. With regards to racism, my son has very dark skin, due to the sun (my father was from Central America and my son has taken a lot of those genes) - he has never experienced any problems with that, though he has been bullied endlessly due to his Scottish accent!
Old May 4th 2009, 3:04 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kar-kier
We've been living in Mandurah since the beginning of the year and love it. As others have said, your wife's best bet would def be Perth, but it is an easy, cheap commute. With regards to racism, my son has very dark skin, due to the sun (my father was from Central America and my son has taken a lot of those genes) - he has never experienced any problems with that, though he has been bullied endlessly due to his Scottish accent!
WELL Looking to move to Mandurah next year from New Zealand we arrived in nz in 2003 from the UK I have had lots of racism with my strong accent so I am use to it by now my mum was born in London Dad was Scottish and I was born in Leeds AND MARRIED to an Essex man SO Mandurah should be fine......
Lin
Old May 4th 2009, 5:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by verystormy
Hi. We live in Mandurah and have done so for the last 8 months and loved every minute of it. I cant comment on your wifes job, but only that WA has probably weathered the storm better than most.
As for the commute to Perth, i do it nearly every day unless work takes me away, as my office is in the city and dont mind it at all and i am in Dawesville which is south of Mandurah.
The public transport is excellent and cheap - though dont even consider driving to the city in peak hours.
As for racism, my wife is Peruvian and while i would say the non white population are is very small, we have never, nor have our friends who are mainly non white experienced any racism.
If there is anything else i can help with, please feel free to pm me
Thankyou so much....really appreciate it!
Old May 4th 2009, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

You'll love Mandurah ! It is a great place.
Can you cope with dental phobic patients
Old May 4th 2009, 10:56 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by melaniee
You'll love Mandurah ! It is a great place.
Can you cope with dental phobic patients
ME TOO
Lin
Old May 4th 2009, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Ha Ha
Old May 4th 2009, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

So is that a no then !!!!!!

I'm serious-something about you guys

Ha Ha
Old May 4th 2009, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Most people are dentist-phobic and there is a way of allaying fears. Most of the fear is irrational. So, I think I may be good at handling such ones.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.