Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving Inter-State

Moving Inter-State

Old Jul 17th 2014, 12:27 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: brisbane
Posts: 68
fromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nice
Default Moving Inter-State

Hi,
My parents are wanting to move from Melbourne to Toowoomba (QLD and about 2 hours inland from Brisbane). Can anyone suggest how they should do this (boat / container or van) and could you recommend anyone in particular too use? They are about an hour east of Melbourne.
Thanks
fromthetoon is offline  
Old Jul 18th 2014, 2:45 am
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,375
jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Inter-State

Originally Posted by fromthetoon View Post
Hi,
My parents are wanting to move from Melbourne to Toowoomba (QLD and about 2 hours inland from Brisbane). Can anyone suggest how they should do this (boat / container or van) and could you recommend anyone in particular too use? They are about an hour east of Melbourne.
Thanks

We are moving from QLD to melb, some stuff has gone down with one son already. Phone Quotes to get some idea to move a lightly furnished 5 bed house were around 4 -7 K

I think we could have moved overseas cheaper.

We are thinking of hiring a truck and driving it down, but they screw you as most charge by the klm.

Really need to find a more reasonable price, its just ridiculous.

Those who have moved let us know the answer please!
jad n rich is offline  
Old Jul 18th 2014, 4:06 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
freebo's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Hope Island, Gold Coast
Posts: 1,920
freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Inter-State

Originally Posted by jad n rich View Post
We are moving from QLD to melb, some stuff has gone down with one son already. Phone Quotes to get some idea to move a lightly furnished 5 bed house were around 4 -7 K

I think we could have moved overseas cheaper.

We are thinking of hiring a truck and driving it down, but they screw you as most charge by the klm.

Really need to find a more reasonable price, its just ridiculous.

Those who have moved let us know the answer please!
That's about what it cost us from Sydney to Gold Coast - think we moved from UK to Sydney for a similar amount.
freebo is offline  
Old Jul 18th 2014, 9:47 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: brisbane
Posts: 68
fromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nice
Default Re: Moving Inter-State

Thanks to you both. Sounds a little more expensive than I thought. I would imagine they charge you for driving through each state!
fromthetoon is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2014, 11:24 am
  #5  
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere
 
The Bloke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: The Magic Roundabout
Posts: 8,141
The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Inter-State

Originally Posted by fromthetoon View Post
Thanks to you both. Sounds a little more expensive than I thought. I would imagine they charge you for driving through each state!
Were you quoted on direct move from Melbourne, or a backload from Melbourne to Toowoomba?
Why don't you contact removalists in Toowoomba, and see if they have can back-load from Melbourne. I'm sure they will deal to save having to bring back an empty truck.

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ss...ba+removalists

Budget Interstate Backloading and Removals | Carnall Removals

Removalists Toowoomba
The Bloke is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2014, 5:45 am
  #6  
Officially Bewildered
 
Dreamy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW
Posts: 5,523
Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Inter-State

Originally Posted by fromthetoon View Post
Thanks to you both. Sounds a little more expensive than I thought. I would imagine they charge you for driving through each state!
We moved from Qld to NSW - they loaded it into a container and it came by train.

The whole thing was as expensive as when we moved from York to Qld in the first place, but Himself's new employer was paying so we didn't really care
Dreamy is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2014, 8:08 am
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
Red_V_Roger's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Peregian Springs, Sunshine Coast
Posts: 1,872
Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Inter-State

We used Kent Moving and Storage - from Sydney to Sunshine Coast. It was expensive, but we had to store our stuff for 7 months in between. Their storage costs were much less than self storage and everything was held in the container - so no risk of damage with additional loading and unloading.

But yes, the move itself was about as much as moving from the UK!
Red_V_Roger is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 1:12 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Posts: 11
dashingjames is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving Inter-State

We used Stack Removals and Storage for our move last year. They were really professional and very much careful with our furnitures and stuffs. We also like their service because they really provide quality service. I think that having a great company in moving makes the move easier and lot better because they have the equipments that can make their clients calls them again and again. Oh! And by the way it's your own choice on which company you want to contract with.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 25th 2014 at 1:59 pm. Reason: signature not showing on post for some reason
dashingjames is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2014, 1:48 pm
  #9  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 20,033
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Inter-State

Originally Posted by dashingjames View Post
We used Stack Removals and Storage for our move last year. They were really professional and very much careful with our furnitures and stuffs. We also like their service because they really provide quality service. I think that having a great company in moving makes the move easier and lot better because they have the equipments that can make their clients calls them again and again. Oh! And by the way it's your own choice on which company you want to contract with.
James, I'm glad that you've now added a link to this company in your signature, so that people know that you actually have a connection with the company.

I know you're new on BE, if you haven't already you need to read the site rules about advertising.

The reason I'm commenting on the above post you made is because it appears to be deceptive - you say you used the company, how great the company is and you recommend it, without disclosing your interest in it. People ask questions on BE in good faith, and are looking for people's honest opinions - if they wanted an advertisement they'd look in the Yellow Pages. To be honest, pretending to be an ordinary customer of a company you have an interest in it leaves a very bad impression and can actually make people disinclined to trust that company.

As I say, glad you've now added the company's link in your signature
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2014, 1:56 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Posts: 11
dashingjames is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving Inter-State

Ok thanks!
dashingjames is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2014, 1:58 pm
  #11  
Fronting the Parole Board
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,456
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Inter-State

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
James, I'm glad that you've now added a link to this company in your signature, so that people know that you actually have a connection with the company.

I know you're new on BE, if you haven't already you need to read the site rules about advertising.

The reason I'm commenting on the above post you made is because it appears to be deceptive - you say you used the company, how great the company is and you recommend it, without disclosing your interest in it. People ask questions on BE in good faith, and are looking for people's honest opinions - if they wanted an advertisement they'd look in the Yellow Pages. To be honest, pretending to be an ordinary customer of a company you have an interest in it leaves a very bad impression and can actually make people disinclined to trust that company.

As I say, glad you've now added the company's link in your signature
indeed
Pollyana is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2014, 3:56 am
  #12  
 
Kelli28's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: High up in Joondalup.
Posts: 4,228
Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Inter-State

If they've not got loads of furniture those u haul things that you can hire from the servo are popular I know a few that moved from qld to nsw like that. When I've moved I've always had new employers cover the cost.
Kelli28 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.