Moving to Dubbo

Old Nov 14th 2012, 9:24 am
Just Joined

kgroonie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Dubbo

Hi there
My wife and I are moving to Dubbo once our 475 visa is all handed in. I have been offered sponsorship which is great! Any uk in Dubbo and any advice on the place and where to look for renting and what areas to avoid would be great! Thanks
Old Nov 15th 2012, 7:24 am
sjo
Forum Regular

sjo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moving to Dubbo

Hi, I have been living in another rural area of NSW for about 8 years now, but am moving to Dubbo in early 2013.

I have been to Dubbo a few times and have spoken to various friends in the area and this is the results of my research about areas that are good to live in/those to avoid:

West Dubbo (Rosewood Grove) has been cleaned up a fair bit in the last few years, it was notorious for police chases, breaks ins, and even a riot in the past and the rough reputation still lingers today. Consequently it is still not too popular and is often cheaper rent.

East Dubbo up around St Georges Terrace/Websdale Drive, and back to Cobbora Road is said to be a good area. As is Avian Estate, which is off Wheelers Lane towards Boundary Rd.

As far as I know South Dubbo is a pretty good area. The only street I have heard that has had some problems is Hunter Street.

As for the other part of West Dubbo, Baird Drive towards Delroy Park end is supposedly a nice area - but consequently the rents are higher here.

North Dubbo isn't too bad, but your getting up towards the industrial area.

I don't know the area well, so this is just a reflection of other's opinions. Have a look at www.domain.com.au or www.realestate.com.au for an idea of prices/rental and what's on offer.

Hope you enjoy it there - just like any large town there are some crime and social issues, but if you are happy with a big country town then you should be fine. I'd much prefer living there than in Sydney.

Good luck!