Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving from Dubai

Moving from Dubai

Old Feb 10th 2024, 3:05 am
  #16  
MODERATOR
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 29,773
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Dubai

Originally Posted by sarvat
hi thanks so much . Our visa too says designated regions but no name as such but initially the approval came from Adelaide . So we are thinking of starting with Adelaide and maybe in the long run decide what to do
yes houses are limited . We are first looking at the schools then to rent in the catchment. Is that better? Becoz work as I mentioned will be remote for my husband and I’ll look for something once settled
Here's the info on 491 from South Australia - https://www.migration.sa.gov.au/visa...-regional-visa

As you can see, you need to live and work in the state for at least 3 years to qualify for a permanent visa - I would be worried about proving the work part, paying taxes, etc working remote but there is plenty of work around.

Is there a type of school you are looking for? You mentioned you have a 5 year old who will be pre-primary possibly - what about the others?

You mentioned about 'British Curriculum' - is this moved intended as temporary?
old.sparkles is offline  
Old Feb 10th 2024, 3:12 am
  #17  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2024
Posts: 12
sarvat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from Dubai

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Here's the info on 491 from South Australia - https://www.migration.sa.gov.au/visa...-regional-visa

As you can see, you need to live and work in the state for at least 3 years to qualify for a permanent visa - I would be worried about proving the work part, paying taxes, etc working remote but there is plenty of work around.

Is there a type of school you are looking for? You mentioned you have a 5 year old who will be pre-primary possibly - what about the others?

You mentioned about 'British Curriculum' - is this moved intended as temporary?
remote work as in my husband for an airline IT company and he can request for a transfer to Australia. Initially I’ll be coming by myself and the kids . Since my husband can’t move to Sydney or Melbourne he will work remotely and ofcourse travel a bit for work. The salary will be coming into his Australian account and we will pay taxes
It’s a permanent move . My eldest is in year 9 British curriculum as we are looking to move when she is in year 10, Middle one would
Be year 7 and you eggs would be year 2
we don’t mind the Australian curriculum but not sure how is the transition though . But we are ready for it as we are prepared to move on
sarvat is offline  
Old Feb 10th 2024, 3:24 am
  #18  
MODERATOR
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 29,773
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Dubai

Originally Posted by sarvat
remote work as in my husband for an airline IT company and he can request for a transfer to Australia. Initially I’ll be coming by myself and the kids . Since my husband can’t move to Sydney or Melbourne he will work remotely and ofcourse travel a bit for work. The salary will be coming into his Australian account and we will pay taxes
It’s a permanent move . My eldest is in year 9 British curriculum as we are looking to move when she is in year 10, Middle one would
Be year 7 and you eggs would be year 2
we don’t mind the Australian curriculum but not sure how is the transition though . But we are ready for it as we are prepared to move on
If the company has Australian offices, then they will pay his taxes and super - and you just complete tax returns at end of financial year.

Ages is better than school years as I'm not sure they align. If this is a permanent move, I wouldn't worry about a British Curriculum (particularly for the youngest).

Schools is not really my area, so now we have established Adelaide area, hopefully others can help. Plus now you have settled on a state, maybe your kids and google can research options to narrow down areas.
old.sparkles is offline  
Old Feb 10th 2024, 3:26 am
  #19  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2024
Posts: 12
sarvat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from Dubai

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
If the company has Australian offices, then they will pay his taxes and super - and you just complete tax returns at end of financial year.

Ages is better than school years as I'm not sure they align. If this is a permanent move, I wouldn't worry about a British Curriculum (particularly for the youngest).

Schools is not really my area, so now we have established Adelaide area, hopefully others can help. Plus now you have settled on a state, maybe your kids and google can researc
options to narrow down areas.
how Adelaide ? That’s where we are looking to settle too. Never been there but people say a small city and kids will love it
sarvat is offline  
Old Feb 10th 2024, 3:39 am
  #20  
MODERATOR
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 29,773
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Dubai

Originally Posted by sarvat
how Adelaide ? That’s where we are looking to settle too. Never been there but people say a small city and kids will love it
I live north of Adelaide in the Barossa so small town with variety of shops, schools and bus / rail connections to city - not that I go into the city often.

I used to live west of Adelaide - not so much greenery but close to beaches. If you go east of the city, that will take you into the hills.

There's a few universities, variety of sports for all ages and international events for some, Music festivals, etc,

As much or as little as you want

old.sparkles is offline  
Old Feb 10th 2024, 3:44 am
  #21  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2024
Posts: 12
sarvat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from Dubai

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I live north of Adelaide in the Barossa so small town with variety of shops, schools and bus / rail connections to city - not that I go into the city often.

I used to live west of Adelaide - not so much greenery but close to beaches. If you go east of the city, that will take you into the hills.

There's a few universities, variety of sports for all ages and international events for some, Music festivals, etc,

As much or as little as you want
thanks so much..
sarvat is offline  
Old Feb 10th 2024, 10:51 pm
  #22  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
quoll's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Canberra
Posts: 8,370
quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Dubai

Originally Posted by sarvat
hi thanks so much . Our visa too says designated regions but no name as such but initially the approval came from Adelaide . So we are thinking of starting with Adelaide and maybe in the long run decide what to do
yes houses are limited . We are first looking at the schools then to rent in the catchment. Is that better? Becoz work as I mentioned will be remote for my husband and I’ll look for something once settled
Usual rule of thumb is to get your home first - the school will generally reflect the suburb you are in and if you cant see yourself living in that suburb then you wont want your kid in school there. Most people choose their homes because of availability, price, services, proximity to work place, etc and the schools generally fall into place. The eyeball test is the best one - have a look at some suburbs and see if they float your boat - it's easier to get advice on "no dont go near that one" than "which is the best" once you've worked out where the house vacancies are likely to be. After all, you are going to have to live in your home 24/7 so it is the most important decision.
quoll is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2024, 4:12 am
  #23  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2024
Posts: 12
sarvat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from Dubai

Originally Posted by quoll
Usual rule of thumb is to get your home first - the school will generally reflect the suburb you are in and if you cant see yourself living in that suburb then you wont want your kid in school there. Most people choose their homes because of availability, price, services, proximity to work place, etc and the schools generally fall into place. The eyeball test is the best one - have a look at some suburbs and see if they float your boat - it's easier to get advice on "no dont go near that one" than "which is the best" once you've worked out where the house vacancies are likely to be. After all, you are going to have to live in your home 24/7 so it is the most important decision.
awesome . Thanks for the heads up
sarvat is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2024, 10:55 am
  #24  
BE Forum Addict
 
rammygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,195
rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Dubai

I would check carefully re the remote working. You have to live and work in sponsored state. As you will need to prove this unless the company has an office in SA which would be employer you might have a problem. Maybe run it past a registered agent. Don’t call immigration as they are not qualified to give advice and can make mistakes with more grey issues.
rammygirl is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2024, 10:34 am
  #25  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2024
Posts: 6
dleo668 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from Dubai

Also you can check Domain and realestate websites (similar to property finder in UAE) for idea about rent and property prices.
dleo668 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.