Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving Companies

Moving Companies

Old Oct 4th 2013, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

snwbnnyinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving Companies

We moved from Canada to the Gold Coast at the end of June. We were assured that our belongings would arrive at the beginning of September. We stayed at a holiday park for 2 months until we secured a house to move into. The rental market is very tough. We were competing against 15-20 other applicants and having no Australian credentials we were finding it difficult. We finally had to rent site unseen and only hope that the house was okay. We also had to pay on top of 2 weeks rent and the bond, 3 months rent. We moved in a the beginning of September with basically a cheap lounge, an outdoor table and chairs, mattresses on the floor and a fridge. Along with a supply of kitchen things borrowed from friends and family. We figured a couple of weeks like this and we would be fine even though we had a 3 and 4 year old, roughing it for a couple of weeks was okay.
That brings us to our nightmare........our container did indeed arrive at the beginning of September but we are now in a fight to get our goods released to us. The receiving agent has been completely dishonest in their practices, giving excuse after excuse why we can't receive our goods. If anyone would like the agents name please contact me. Upon further investigation online I find more than 20 complaints about this company with the EXACT same issues. Customs were taking too long, payment needed for fees that we had already paid for in Canada, release papers not received from the other agent. It just goes on and on.
So please don't rely on getting your goods in a timely manner, from all accounts from others that have been forced to use this company (it was just done by their forwarding agent) we will be lucky to see our stuff before Christmas. Please PM me if you want further information as dealing with this company has left us both upset and extremely stressed making us even rethink our decision for moving to Australia in the first place.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Companies

Why are they delaying , are they trying to extort more $ ?

If so make a case, go to the police and/or a solicitor and have their ass's handed to then .

Report them to consumer affairs..

Where are they ? go and see them in person , shout the office down.

Phone Channel 7 -- 'Today tonight'

Phone Channel 9 --' Current Affair'

Contact the other people in the same boat , go to their offices and beat the crap out of them .

Obtain an indoor range competition gun license.

Go see the sergeant at arms of the local chapter of the Ulans--he'll know just what to do--''''''
Old Oct 5th 2013, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BASHO
Why are they delaying , are they trying to extort more $ ?

If so make a case, go to the police and/or a solicitor and have their ass's handed to then .

Report them to consumer affairs..

Where are they ? go and see them in person , shout the office down.

Phone Channel 7 -- 'Today tonight'

Phone Channel 9 --' Current Affair'

Contact the other people in the same boat , go to their offices and beat the crap out of them .

Obtain an indoor range competition gun license.

Go see the sergeant at arms of the local chapter of the Ulans--he'll know just what to do--''''''
It's excuse after excuse after excuse. We have already paid them what they asked as they said that if we didn't they wouldn't deliver our goods even though we showed documentation that we had paid these fees to the company that we hired in Canada. Yes we have contacted all that you mention. Including the President of the International Assoc of Movers but we have yet to receive any replies.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snwbnnyinoz
It's excuse after excuse after excuse. We have already paid them what they asked as they said that if we didn't they wouldn't deliver our goods even though we showed documentation that we had paid these fees to the company that we hired in Canada. Yes we have contacted all that you mention. Including the President of the International Assoc of Movers but we have yet to receive any replies.
Am I to assume that they are charging you for further storage while this witholding goes on ?

Have they actually got the container , have you sighted it , is it really here ?

As good and necessary as writing to people can be pestering them on the phone can work a treat (ask anyone who has been driven mad by a collection agency) and fronting them in their offices can be even better,

As a tip --don't bother with the desk clerks , bull- s -hiting is what they're paid for, find out who the MD is and give him an earful --every 53 minutes--

Give them 10 working days to deliver (in writing), if the container isn't on your doorstep within the 10 days I suggest that you claim the contents of the container as lost or stolen under your transit insurance.

If your goods are being withheld and you have paid all the claimed charges then in effect they are stolen.

I had a run in with a moving company once about ten years ago over ramping charges---I went to thier offices ---.

Sometimes I'm not pleasant.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't really get this story. Why would the company want to hold onto your goods for any longer than necessary by pretending they don't have paperwork? I can't see how they benefit from that.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 9:40 am
Just Joined

They have said that they have our goods. Problem is our goods are in some warehouse in Brisbane and this mobs office is in Sydney, we live on the Gold Coast. My husband is calling Customs on Tuesday to find out what information he can get from them. As to when it was signed out and to whom. From reading the "reviews" of this company, the next step they take is to send you a bill for storage fees. Seems like a big scam to me. Yeah claiming on insurance won't get me all of the family non replaceable things. EI....baby things from the kids etc. We are also contacting our lawyer on Tuesday.
In regards to contacting people. We have been staying up late and calling the owner of the Canadian Company, and then calling him again at 4am Australia time. The managing director of the company in Sydney is not in, she's away at a conference in Vancouver. The owner of the Canadian company will also be at this conference next week. Conveniently for us being run by the International Assoc of Movers (which both these companies belong to) and the head of this Assoc has been sent an email. We are keeping our fingers crossed that he will get them to get their acts together.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Claiming the insurance is intended to light a fire under the shipping company, you're not having any success with them the bloody insurance Co will if it looks like having to make a pay out.

As to non replaceable items--at this stage of play you haven't got any , you don't even know where the stuff is outside of 'maybe' some storage facility in Brisbane , get an address go there demand to se your stuff.

As for the 'International Assoc of Movers' they may as well be the 'international assoc of take your money ass clowns', for all the good they're going to do you, Consumer Affairs , the relevant ombudsman, a court order to release the goods, and affirmative action will be your friends .

One thing for sure ''International Assoc of Movers' will never be on your side.

Sorry to be abrupt but unless you go at them like a pit bull on steroids they will rip you off , particularly in Queensland.

It's become the Australian way.