Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving closer to town

Moving closer to town

Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Jackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really nice
Default Moving closer to town

Well we've been here over three years and after 6 months on the market have finally sold our house in Carramar. We know we'll miss the great neighbours we've got here but we just couldn't stand being away from all the action any longer.

We moved here as this is where the family was but they moved on 18 months ago leaving us (a couple with no kids and loving to go out & party) in the middle of a family suburb with great schools but no PUB (and public transport's not great either)!!!!

So, we're just in the middle of buying a place in East Victoria Park. I know it's got its rough side but I'll be able to cycle the 10kms to work along the river, hubby will be at work in 10 minutes by car or motorbike & the restaurants will serve up a meal after 8pm

But, OMG, STAMP DUTY, BANK FEES, it's costing us a fortune, and I wanted to tell anyone who's moving out here soon, don't buy straightaway - rent for at least 6 months until you know where you'll be working and get to know the areas first before you commit your first homebuyers allowance. I know you want to feel settled as soon as you can (we certainly did), but it's not worth it in the long run. Perth's a great city but it takes a while to find your way around & please don't buy until you have.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving closer to town

Good advice. Lots of families live in inner suburbs as well, not just couples or singled.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 1:16 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving closer to town

Originally Posted by Jackier
Well we've been here over three years and after 6 months on the market have finally sold our house in Carramar. We know we'll miss the great neighbours we've got here but we just couldn't stand being away from all the action any longer.

We moved here as this is where the family was but they moved on 18 months ago leaving us (a couple with no kids and loving to go out & party) in the middle of a family suburb with great schools but no PUB (and public transport's not great either)!!!!

So, we're just in the middle of buying a place in East Victoria Park. I know it's got its rough side but I'll be able to cycle the 10kms to work along the river, hubby will be at work in 10 minutes by car or motorbike & the restaurants will serve up a meal after 8pm

But, OMG, STAMP DUTY, BANK FEES, it's costing us a fortune, and I wanted to tell anyone who's moving out here soon, don't buy straightaway - rent for at least 6 months until you know where you'll be working and get to know the areas first before you commit your first homebuyers allowance. I know you want to feel settled as soon as you can (we certainly did), but it's not worth it in the long run. Perth's a great city but it takes a while to find your way around & please don't buy until you have.
I met a lovely guy a few years ago through some Aussie friends of mine, he lives in East Vic Park (well actually he has moved to Laos now) and his place was lovely and within walking distance of some lovely little restaurants and a short taxi ride to more action. Good luck with your move and enjoy your new place.