Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Buderim area

Moving to Buderim area

Old Dec 5th 2009, 10:50 am
Just Joined

hennyki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Buderim area

Hi We are moving down from Townsville and have been looking at Sunshine Coast Christian school. At the moment our kids (6,9,12) go to a catholic school prep -12. We would like them to go to one school, Siena has a huge waiting list. Need good affordable education. Suncoast is about $12000 for all 3. Any thoughts? Anybody's kids go there? Any information would be great.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 8:55 am
Just Joined

nickmarks73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Buderim area

hi there i used to live on the sunshine coast in mooloolaba and buderim and to be honest mountain creek state high and primary is by far the best school on the coast,
It is a state funded school but it has had a good head teacher/priniple who has turned the school into fantastic school, better then private/catholic/christain schools on the coast, the school is on the web www.mtncreekshs.eq.edu.au, so have a look for yourself and if you like it great, just saved yourself $12000.

hope this helps
Old Dec 10th 2009, 10:27 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I get mixed reviews from parents at Mountain Creek. I know several from the UK who are in the process of moving their children.

I know the results for last year were:

Mathew Flinders 89% OP 1-10. Expensive

Suncoast 86% (2nd highest on coast). Good reputation, bus picks up from Buderim.

Mountain Creek 58% Its a very large school. Lots of people speak highly of it. Lots of people don't. The best state school by all accounts. You need to live in cachement.

Also check out:
Immanual Lutheran - Wises Road,
Stella Maris,

I put the difference down to more parental support of higher percentage of parents in fee paying schools though.

We are hoping that ours will go to Flinders. But obviously, with 3 - that is a choice that will mean us working more which isnt necessarily great.

Lots of state schools have additions of: trips, books, donations and other things which are sometimes included in the fees so it is worth finding out. My friend was telling me this evening that the difference is not actually as much as she thought. She is putting her child in Caloundra Christian College although she lives at Sippy Downs

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 10:29 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Also for prep, I have been visiting the various schools and studying in detail. Buderim state is a lovely school. I had to choose between there and Kuilin- I wanted Mountain creek but then changed my mind after visiting and talking to people. It was nice too though. I chose Kuluin for various reasons but really loved Buderim
Old Dec 12th 2009, 9:46 am
Just Joined

hennyki is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Thanks for the information, will look at those schools.

Hennyki
Old Dec 13th 2009, 9:02 am
Just Joined

PatchPoole is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we moved from NZ, in July this year. We are in Chancellor Park in Sippy Downs, and our children go to Chancellor State (primary) College, we have found it fantastic so far.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

rosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nice

Originally Posted by hennyki
Hi We are moving down from Townsville and have been looking at Sunshine Coast Christian school. At the moment our kids (6,9,12) go to a catholic school prep -12. We would like them to go to one school, Siena has a huge waiting list. Need good affordable education. Suncoast is about $12000 for all 3. Any thoughts? Anybody's kids go there? Any information would be great.
My two children attend Immanuel Lutheran and I must admit that I am more than pleased with all that it has to offer. Prior to enroling them, I looked at Suncoast and also considered Nambour Christian, which is only 5 minutes further up the road from Suncoast and it has a good reputation. I would suggest having a look at that as well. Both schools operate a bus service, although this can be quite pricey!
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

KateandPhil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by viviennef
Also for prep, I have been visiting the various schools and studying in detail. Buderim state is a lovely school. I had to choose between there and Kuilin- I wanted Mountain creek but then changed my mind after visiting and talking to people. It was nice too though. I chose Kuluin for various reasons but really loved Buderim
Hi
Just reading posts on Kuluin. Are you still there? We have been looking at Buderim but have seen a property in Kuluin. Is it a good area for children?
Any info would be grately appreciated
Thanks Kate
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

My kids have been to some of the schools mentioned in this thread, private and state.

Its just not that easy to say hey that ones great school.

Right now we have 2 kids in a state high.

One I am happy as Larry about, Zenith programme, the elite kids

The one in mid band, well yes its mid band ummmm...

Like many parents a little more contact with the school than the answering machine would be nice.

Like many families different schools suit different kids too. And every year the combination of teachers and kids will affect the outcome and your opinion.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickmarks73
hi there i used to live on the sunshine coast in mooloolaba and buderim and to be honest mountain creek state high and primary is by far the best school on the coast,
It is a state funded school but it has had a good head teacher/priniple who has turned the school into fantastic school, better then private/catholic/christain schools on the coast, the school is on the web www.mtncreekshs.eq.edu.au, so have a look for yourself and if you like it great, just saved yourself $12000.

hope this helps

Hes left now.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by KateandPhil
Hi
Just reading posts on Kuluin. Are you still there? We have been looking at Buderim but have seen a property in Kuluin. Is it a good area for children?
Any info would be grately appreciated
Thanks Kate

Older area, very reasonable price for homes, 5mins drive to the main shopping centre. Be wary, quite a few housing commission homes in area, just check out who your neighbours are.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by viviennef

We are hoping that ours will go to Flinders. But obviously, with 3 - that is a choice that will mean us working more which isnt necessarily great.

Lots of state schools have additions of: trips, books, donations and other things which are sometimes included in the fees so it is worth finding out. My friend was telling me this evening that the difference is not actually as much as she thought. She is putting her child in Caloundra Christian College although she lives at Sippy Downs

Hope this helps.
Lots of privates have extras too, eg, music in state high is free, in private it was $35 for half hour

Our bills for state high this year were around $400 each, not too bad, as at this school its pay up front once a year.

I think the worst thing about the State schools is the teachers latest strike talk is they oppose the NAPLAN tests, IMO they dont like the shoddy results it pushed out last time compared to other states.