Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane...TIPS and HINTS! PLEASE!!!

Moving to Brisbane...TIPS and HINTS! PLEASE!!!

Old Jan 23rd 2005, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Natalie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Brisbane...TIPS and HINTS! PLEASE!!!

Hi

Moving to Brisbane area later this year. Can anyone tell me which are the best up and coming suburbs to live in. Ideally I want somewhere close to beaches, parks and shopping.

I'm a primary school teacher - can anyone tell me what the job situation is like at the moment for teachers in and around Brisbane. Also, is anyone familiar with teacher recruitment agencies who could put me on the right track.

Thanks

Natalie
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 10:02 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane...TIPS and HINTS! PLEASE!!!

Originally Posted by Natalie1
Hi

Moving to Brisbane area later this year. Can anyone tell me which are the best up and coming suburbs to live in. Ideally I want somewhere close to beaches, parks and shopping.

I'm a primary school teacher - can anyone tell me what the job situation is like at the moment for teachers in and around Brisbane. Also, is anyone familiar with teacher recruitment agencies who could put me on the right track.

Thanks

Natalie
How long is a piece of string?

Welcome to the forum

Loads of suburbs in Brisbane, quite a few of them up & coming as well. Anywhere on Bayside (south Brisbane) will meet your criteria. Northside you'd have to look somewhere like Sandgate, Shorncliffe, Scarborough. For really good beaches you'll need to move further south/north towards the Gold/Sunshine Coasts.
Of course, a lot will depend on your budget as well. IMO, St Lucia is a nice suburb, (on the River rather than the coast). Its fairly old, uni close-by so a good community feel, large shopping complex 2 mins drive, CBD about 10mins drive, but you'd be looking at quite a heft pricetag to get something decent there (gorgeous places mind )

A couple of websites you might find useful when starting out are;
Real Estate
Brisbane
Finding your way around
Train Travel
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mlbonner
How long is a piece of string?

Welcome to the forum

Loads of suburbs in Brisbane, quite a few of them up & coming as well. Anywhere on Bayside (south Brisbane) will meet your criteria. Northside you'd have to look somewhere like Sandgate, Shorncliffe, Scarborough. For really good beaches you'll need to move further south/north towards the Gold/Sunshine Coasts.
Of course, a lot will depend on your budget as well. IMO, St Lucia is a nice suburb, (on the River rather than the coast). Its fairly old, uni close-by so a good community feel, large shopping complex 2 mins drive, CBD about 10mins drive, but you'd be looking at quite a heft pricetag to get something decent there (gorgeous places mind )

A couple of websites you might find useful when starting out are;
Real Estate
Brisbane
Finding your way around
Train Travel

Thanks for your prompt response. I'll have a look at these websites. Cheers!
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 10:20 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum miss
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks

Natalie
Hi,
welcome to the forum.
I am just up the road from you in Nunthorpe and am also going to Brisbane later this year.
What school do you teach in?
Tracey.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Hi,
welcome to the forum.
I am just up the road from you in Nunthorpe and am also going to Brisbane later this year.
What school do you teach in?
Tracey.
Hi Tracey

I teach at Ings Farm, Redcar.

It's nice to know someone else in the area is making the same move. When are you going?
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tracey

I teach at Ings Farm, Redcar.

It's nice to know someone else in the area is making the same move. When are you going?
I plan to go in August, but it's all down to the sale (or not) of my house.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tracey.d
I plan to go in August, but it's all down to the sale (or not) of my house.

If you get here in August be prepared for nights that can get into the single digits and down to zero in the western suburbs.

Daytime temps are still about 20C.

Also, the beaches are pretty much on the Gold or Sunshine coats so don't expect wide, golden sandy beaches in Brisbane. It's a river city on a bay remember.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We too are hoping to move to Brissie either this year or next.

Have to agree with most of the above comments. The suburbs we are looking into are somewhere Bayside (Cleveland, Victoria Point etc.) or north of the river at Sandgate or Brighton. We are also looking at Calamvale in the south, good access to city, good community and great school. It may be a bit inland though, we shall see.

I hear the northern burbs are less prone to storm damage in the wild Queensland rain and storm season.

Stuart
Old Jan 24th 2005, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikk will become famous soon enoughvikk will become famous soon enough

Hi

Thanks

Natalie

Hi Natalie, Snap! I'm in the same boat as you. I'm a primary school teacher hoping to move to Brisbane or surrounding areas in the summer too.(fingers crossed!) I'm stuck in the pre July delay at the moment so I've been waiting for over a year now to find out if my application will be accepted. The annoying thing is that if I don't find out before 21st March (The Easter holidays) I will have to wait until Christmas to go as I have to serve a term's notice which takes the date of release of contract to the Chrismas holidays. :scared:

Have you got your visa yet or registered with the government or state for your teacher registration? I have downloaded the forms but I haven't yet filled them in. That's my fun packed job for half term! If you haven't I'd advise you that when you ask for references from your schools ask for 4 legibly signed coppies of the reference with the exact words 'nil leave taken' if you have taken no leave & also be sure they write your pay at the time of employment at the top & the exact dates & conditions of employment, e.g. permanent, 2 year contract, full time, supply .5, whatever it is you worked. It will just save you a lot of time having to apply for further references all needing different info on at a later date. I don't mean to preach, but i wish someone had advised me to do the same a while ago.

Good Luck & keep in touch. Vikk
Old Jan 24th 2005, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by vikk
Hi Natalie, Snap! I'm in the same boat as you. I'm a primary school teacher hoping to move to Brisbane or surrounding areas in the summer too.(fingers crossed!) I'm stuck in the pre July delay at the moment so I've been waiting for over a year now to find out if my application will be accepted. The annoying thing is that if I don't find out before 21st March (The Easter holidays) I will have to wait until Christmas to go as I have to serve a term's notice which takes the date of release of contract to the Chrismas holidays. :scared:

Have you got your visa yet or registered with the government or state for your teacher registration? I have downloaded the forms but I haven't yet filled them in. That's my fun packed job for half term! If you haven't I'd advise you that when you ask for references from your schools ask for 4 legibly signed coppies of the reference with the exact words 'nil leave taken' if you have taken no leave & also be sure they write your pay at the time of employment at the top & the exact dates & conditions of employment, e.g. permanent, 2 year contract, full time, supply .5, whatever it is you worked. It will just save you a lot of time having to apply for further references all needing different info on at a later date. I don't mean to preach, but i wish someone had advised me to do the same a while ago.

Good Luck & keep in touch. Vikk

Thanks for the sound advice Vikk

There is just so much to sort out! Don't you just feel like your life is on hold at the minute.

Good luck.

By the way, where are you heading?

Natalie
Old Jan 24th 2005, 10:19 pm
ABCDiamond

Hi

Thanks

Natalie
Hi Natalie
I just looked at your location: Location: Redcar, Cleveland - Brisbane bound! and first thought you lived in Redcar but are heading for Clevelend, Brisbane area. But then realised, I think, that your Cleveland in is the UK.

Anyway I live 10 mins away from the Cleveland on the Brisbane Bayside, and this area is worth a look

Old Jan 24th 2005, 10:29 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Hi Natalie
I just looked at your location: Location: Redcar, Cleveland - Brisbane bound! and first thought you lived in Redcar but are heading for Clevelend, Brisbane area. But then realised, I think, that your Cleveland in is the UK.

Anyway I live 10 mins away from the Cleveland on the Brisbane Bayside, and this area is worth a look
Where I live in the UK now used to be classed as Cleveland, but now back to Teesside or Tees Valley if you want international business to recognise you!! Hehe.

I am scared as a LOT of people seem to be leaving this area of the UK, surely you don't want to give up the lovely brisk North Sea winds or the smell of Corus!!!! Crazy folk! :scared:

Maybe Cleveland is the place for me to return to in a few years time.

Merlot

Old Jan 24th 2005, 10:46 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Merlot
Where I live in the UK now used to be classed as Cleveland, but now back to Teesside or Tees Valley if you want international business to recognise you!! Hehe.

I am scared as a LOT of people seem to be leaving this area of the UK, surely you don't want to give up the lovely brisk North Sea winds or the smell of Corus!!!! Crazy folk! :scared:

Maybe Cleveland is the place for me to return to in a few years time.

Merlot
Why would you want to live in a place like this at Cleveland

Old Jan 25th 2005, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

lee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nice
Talking Re: Moving to Brisbane...TIPS and HINTS! PLEASE!!!

Hi

Just come back from Brisbane. We were out there for 3 weeks looking at areas. We have friends in Calamvale/Sunnybank and we really like it around there, but I want to live by the coast and beach. Victoria Point is nice, but no beach, you can get a ferry over to Coochiemudlo Island, but for us we felt it was a bit dead. Oxenford and Coomera are two new big development areas, about 40mins from Brisbane and 20mins from some great beaches, but everywhere just looks unfinished. Runaway Bay and Hope Island, ok if you want to retire. Arundel, Parkwood and Robina are really nice areas 10 mins from a beach and just out of the busy part of Surfers. North of Brisbane up to Caloundra we hated, old and tatty. Between Caloundra and Maroochydore are some lovely places.

This was our 2nd trip and it cleared up a lot of questions on areas for us. Everyone has different ideas on whats a good area to live, so until you get out there you can't get a feel for a place.

Jane
Cold and still jet-lagged been up since 3.30.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.