Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane in September!

Moving to Brisbane in September!

Old Mar 12th 2010, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

ajj211282 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Brisbane in September!

Hi, Im a nurse moving to Brisbane September 2010.
Id love to meet with any others heading out then, or are already out there. Im 27 yrs old, and moving alone!
Scary, but exciting!!
Old Mar 13th 2010, 12:28 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane in September!

Originally Posted by ajj211282
Id love to meet with any others heading out then, or are already out there. Im 27 yrs old, and moving alone!
Scary, but exciting!!
Good Luck to you....my oh is a nurse out here, you can PM me anytime if ya need any help..
Old Mar 17th 2010, 10:56 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Scary, but exciting!!
Where are you aiming for quite a few nurses around these parts. Have you got a sponsered visa or coming out on a kismet ticket?
Old Mar 17th 2010, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Hi, I have a working holiday visa right now for September, but I think if I like it, and want to stay and know I will be able to get a permanent job then I will apply for a skilled visa.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:23 pm

Hi, I have a working holiday visa right now for September, but I think if I like it, and want to stay and know I will be able to get a permanent job then I will apply for a skilled visa.
Hope all goes well not sure how easy it is to get casual holiday work as a nurse at present as think there is ironically some sort of English test now on top of police checks.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Do you mean the IELTS test? have done that as I needed it for nursing registration.
So would you suggest applying for skilled visa?
Thanks
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:36 pm

Do you mean the IELTS test? have done that as I needed it for nursing registration.
So would you suggest applying for skilled visa?
Thanks
Permanent Visa is way to go while available while nurses indemand on model as temp visa or sponsered means you have to do it all over again at some point. Permenant takes longer but worth it.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 4:03 am
Just Joined

kath2198 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. We moved out here Sept 09 and love it. What area will you be living? My sister-in-law is just finishing her EN training here. I'm sure that you will meet people through work too.
I haven't used this site much yet so I'm new to all this.
Be good to hear from you though.
Kath
Old Jul 15th 2010, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

sarahhartopp will become famous soon enoughsarahhartopp will become famous soon enough

Hey

Im a nurse i moved out here 4 months ago with my boyfriend , September isnt long away have you got everything sorted and packed, i bet your excited.

Do you know where you are going to be working yet ?

Let me know when you get here and we can exchange notes !!!!
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:04 am
Just Joined

Hey, thanks for the post, I am just waiting for my police check, and my references to be sent to the agency, so Im almost nearly there!!!

Yes Im excited, and September is coming around SO quickly!

Where abouts are you working? Has everthing gone smoothly for you??
Old Jul 18th 2010, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

auddry is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there.. id definately go for your permanent residency rather than a sponsership. unfortunately i did it the long was round and only now got residency. im a nurse and working in the royal and if u can get away with it you really dont want to be or have to b tied to one hospital. much easier and cheaper to just do residency. i moved here last jan and its taken a while to settle in. im a single young(ish) gal here too so if u need any more advise let me no. auds x
Old Jul 19th 2010, 2:53 am
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Scary, but exciting!!
Hi, hubby and I are nurses too, he works at RBWH and I've been working at the Welsey in Auchenflower for OMG it'll be 5 years next month. It does take time to settle and things were quite different for me personally having worked in the NHS in UK. But I've settled in now and love who I work with, I was lucky to get a job on a ward where 99% of the staff are fab and like my extended family. There are plenty of english nurses here, sometimes its seems to be like Im back in the UK!
Just give it time!
Good luck to you and hope you like it! I certainly do!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

sarahhartopp will become famous soon enoughsarahhartopp will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by auddry
hi there.. id definately go for your permanent residency rather than a sponsership. unfortunately i did it the long was round and only now got residency. im a nurse and working in the royal and if u can get away with it you really dont want to be or have to b tied to one hospital. much easier and cheaper to just do residency. i moved here last jan and its taken a while to settle in. im a single young(ish) gal here too so if u need any more advise let me no. auds x
Hey

I am a nurse at the Royal also, i work in ICU, i moved here 4 1/2 months ago and started at the royal 4 months ago. started at the wrong time because of the new pay system so am very un impressed by not getting paid correctly and i still do not have a uniform, again bad timing as i believe they have recently changed uniform companies.

All good though, i have permanant residency as i too did not want to be stuck to one hospital.

The unit i work on has over 200 staff members so it is sometimes see the same person twice, so therefore hard to make friends. So am still settling in and finding my feet.

I live 40 minutes away in south/east brisbane with my brother until i find and save a deposit for a house.

I am not home sick in the slighest the hardest thing is not having your friends around you as i have always had a good bunch of friends. I suppose it will take time to settle in and build on friendships.

So do you like it at the royal? where do you work? have you settled yet ?

Sarah
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Hey, thanks for the post, I am just waiting for my police check, and my references to be sent to the agency, so Im almost nearly there!!!

Yes Im excited, and September is coming around SO quickly!

Where abouts are you working? Has everthing gone smoothly for you??
I work at the Royal in ICU, been there just over 4 months now, i have permanent residency, i did it all myself as i didnt want to pay an agent, took 8 months from handing in application to getting visa granted. pretty straight forward lots of research done by myself over the internet but worth all the hard work and stress.

dont regret the move at all, just wish i could bring all my friends with me.