Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane from Scotland

Moving to Brisbane from Scotland

Old Nov 15th 2005, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

wmckellar will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Moving to Brisbane from Scotland

Hi Folks,

I am 26 and my Fiancée is 24 we are hopefully moving to Brisbane probs around Feb next year, just waiting on the Visas coming through. I have been looking at real estate sites and seek etc for jobs avail. My main worry about my new venture is - i have never been to Oz in my life and don't know an awful lot about it apart from what i have researched on the web. Can anyone help me??? My main worry is finding somewhere to stay when i get off the plane at Brisbane and getting a car is my other worry. . any info anyone has that could help me would be very much appreciated

I forgot to mention i am currently in the IT industry, looking to do my MSCE or CCNA hopefully when i move to Oz. My Fiancée is a hairdresser, she currently has her own salon in Scotland which we are selling when we move to Brisbane . . . Elaine is looking to work for a leading salon in Brisbane for a few years before maybe setting up a new business - one step at a time though eh ! ! !

Last edited by wmckellar; Nov 15th 2005 at 2:33 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 2:40 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane from Scotland

Originally Posted by wmckellar
Hi Folks,

I am 26 and my Fiancée is 24 we are hopefully moving to Brisbane probs around Feb next year, just waiting on the Visas coming through. I have been looking at real estate sites and seek etc for jobs avail. My main worry about my new venture is - i have never been to Oz in my life and don't know an awful lot about it apart from what i have researched on the web. Can anyone help me??? My main worry is finding somewhere to stay when i get off the plane at Brisbane and getting a car is my other worry. . any info anyone has that could help me would be very much appreciated

I forgot to mention i am currently in the IT industry, looking to do my MSCE or CCNA hopefully when i move to Oz. My Fiancée is a hairdresser, she currently has her own salon in Scotland which we are selling when we move to Brisbane . . . Elaine is looking to work for a leading salon in Brisbane for a few years before maybe setting up a new business - one step at a time though eh ! ! !

Just want to wish you well with it, I'm originally from Saltcoats & moved to Melbourne in 99.
Only regret was I didn't do it earlier.
Brissy will be a fair bit warmer & more humid than Ardrossan but I'm sure you will get used to it.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bordy
Just want to wish you well with it, I'm originally from Saltcoats & moved to Melbourne in 99.
Only regret was I didn't do it earlier.
Brissy will be a fair bit warmer & more humid than Ardrossan but I'm sure you will get used to it.
Bordy,

Thank you very much - I bet it is not as warm as sunny saltcoats ha.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all

Hiya from another mckellar (also from scotland)also moving to brisbane to be with other mckellars. Just to wish you the best of luck. Today we have been for our medicals and were so worked up and worried about it all for nothing. Now its back to the last stage of the waiting game.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 2:51 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

At least we never got Great Whites at Saltcoats beach.

What made you choose Brisbane? Ive never been there yet, been to Sydney & Perth but I much prefer Melbourne, thats just my own personal choice though.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 2:58 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your new venture, I'm sure you will be fine. Let us know how you get on with the move...I'm hoping to come to brissy in 2007. Tell Elaine I will need a hairdresser when I'm there so please keep in touch
Old Nov 15th 2005, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

AnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wmckellar
Hi Folks,

We have just come back from 3 weeks in Brisbane and after a few days settled in very well it is a great place when you get over the initial shock at the different houses. We used Brisbanebound.com they do rental short and long term I think also if you do a search on here Mrs Dagboy also rents not sure on there terms. We hired a 4x4 thing with Europcar.com was about £380. for 3 weeks but depends on what you want ( we have 3 kids). We are now in the process of selling the house and can't wait to get back out there it was great.

Hopefully more people will answer your questions on here they are very helpfull, good luck with your move hope it goes well.

Best wishes

Anitab
Old Nov 15th 2005, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LesleyM
Hiya from another mckellar (also from scotland)also moving to brisbane to be with other mckellars. Just to wish you the best of luck. Today we have been for our medicals and were so worked up and worried about it all for nothing. Now its back to the last stage of the waiting game.
Lesley Mckellar,

How you doing?? We went for out Medicals in Glasgow about 2 or 3 months ago now . . i know how u feel when you say the waiting game. The ozzy goverment come back asking me for character references etc which has held the process up even more . . . i can start to see light at teh end of the tunnel i think . . . keep in touch ;-)
Old Nov 15th 2005, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bordy
At least we never got Great Whites at Saltcoats beach.

What made you choose Brisbane? Ive never been there yet, been to Sydney & Perth but I much prefer Melbourne, thats just my own personal choice though.
Bordy,

I worked for BAA a few months back and there was a security man started in the office . . i stated speaking to him and he was originally from Glasgow but moved to Oz (sunshine coast) when he was like 20 or something, now late 50S - he started telling me about it and showed me picture of his house and stuff and i thought - that sounds like the life i would like to have when i am older so went home and spoke to Elaine about it and the next thing i knew i was in Edinburgh filling out my immigration application . . it is all a bit surreal at the moment.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AnitaB
We have just come back from 3 weeks in Brisbane and after a few days settled in very well it is a great place when you get over the initial shock at the different houses. We used Brisbanebound.com they do rental short and long term I think also if you do a search on here Mrs Dagboy also rents not sure on there terms. We hired a 4x4 thing with Europcar.com was about £380. for 3 weeks but depends on what you want ( we have 3 kids). We are now in the process of selling the house and can't wait to get back out there it was great.

Hopefully more people will answer your questions on here they are very helpfull, good luck with your move hope it goes well.

Best wishes

Anitab
Thanks very much for the info. Have you applied to emigrate?? We are looking to rent probs for 3 month to find out where we will be working and what area's we think we would like to live in. I live about 1 hour away from Glasgow at the moment and commute to Glasgow every day. I would like to get away from all that and live pretty close to were i work, i believe Brisbane centre and surrounding areas are all quite expensive though . . . i will have a look at the links you have supplied and fingers crossed all goes to plan . . .

Thanks

Will
Old Nov 15th 2005, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Hi

Me (25) and hubbie (28) are headed to Brisbane March 06 so will be there around the same time as you.

Try www.seqrents.com.au for short term rentals.

will maybe see you at a Brisbane meet, we hope to settle near the centre initially.

GOOD LUCK GUYS