Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

moving to Brisbane (redcliffe) ?

moving to Brisbane (redcliffe) ?

Old Jan 20th 2005, 1:51 pm
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all
Default moving to Brisbane (redcliffe) ?

First off....great forum people, I have already printed off loads of info

Right, I'm over to activate my visa in March and on strict instructions from the other-half to get good info on the right suburb to be looking out for regards to renting and buying.......

We have been looking over the Web at Redcliffe/Scarborough, but some of the comments on this site don't seem to be to enthusiastic about the Redcliffe area..........so, if possible, could anyone give me a bit more info regarding "why", this area does not top the poll of where to live around Brisbane ?

Also, if Redcliffe is the pits, then any other recommendations and why they rate higher up the table than Redcliffe.

Cheers.....
Old Jan 20th 2005, 1:54 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: moving to Brisbane (redcliffe) ?

Originally Posted by jc_hoops

Right, I'm over to activate my visa in March and on strict instructions from the other-half to get good info on the right suburb to be looking out for regards to renting and buying.......

We have been looking over the Web at Redcliffe/Scarborough, but some of the comments on this site don't seem to be to enthusiastic about the Redcliffe area..........so, if possible, could anyone give me a bit more info regarding "why", this area does not top the poll of where to live around Brisbane ?

Also, if Redcliffe is the pits, then any other recommendations and why they rate higher up the table than Redcliffe.

Cheers.....
I've been led to believe that Redcliffe is really attractive but has quite an old population (not very hip).

Although I'm sure you'll get more insight from those currently out there. Me and the missus are moving to Brisbane in March too!

Rob
Old Jan 20th 2005, 1:55 pm
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by samnrob2
I've been led to believe that Redcliffe is really attractive but has quite an old population (not very hip).

Although I'm sure you'll get more insight from those currently out there. Me and the missus are moving to Brisbane in March too!

Rob
Depends what you mean by "old population".........
Old Jan 20th 2005, 1:56 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Depends what you mean by "old population".........
Retirement old - 65+
Old Jan 20th 2005, 1:57 pm
Banned

Rob
Where abouts in the Brisbane area you looking to go Rob ?
Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:03 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Where abouts in the Brisbane area you looking to go Rob ?
Good question - better start giving it some thought!!

Going to stay in a hotel for the first week and drive around. I have a friend (born and bred brisbanite) who is putting a list of places she thinks me and the missus will like, so going to rely on that.

Haven't seen it yet, but likely to be all bayside areas.

Liklihood is that I'm going to work in the city so I can't be too far out of Brisbane.

Rob
Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:12 pm
Banned

Good question - better start giving it some thought!!

Going to stay in a hotel for the first week and drive around. I have a friend (born and bred brisbanite) who is putting a list of places she thinks me and the missus will like, so going to rely on that.

Haven't seen it yet, but likely to be all bayside areas.

Liklihood is that I'm going to work in the city so I can't be too far out of Brisbane.

Rob
Thats the plan for me this March. I have about ten days to have a butchers around......

Apart from Redcliffe, we have picked up in Wynnum, Redlands, Sandgate and South Bayside as possible locations.

We want to be within communicating distance to CBD but also, quite near to the Beach and hopefully, near a good few bozzers/resturants
Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:14 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Thats the plan for me this March. I have about ten days to have a butchers around......

Apart from Redcliffe, we have picked up in Wynnum, Redlands, Sandgate and South Bayside as possible locations.

We want to be within communicating distance to CBD but also, quite near to the Beach and hopefully, near a good few bozzers/resturants
Sh*t - it sounds like we're after the same thing - hope I beat you to it - whatever 'it' is!!

Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:18 pm
Banned

Sh*t - it sounds like we're after the same thing - hope I beat you to it - whatever 'it' is!!

Well you have a good head start, we don't get out there as a family until late Sept......but there again
Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:29 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

Redcliffe was full of wrinklies when I was a kid think it's all changing now... seeing as it's pretty damned close to the water!!
Old Jan 20th 2005, 3:48 pm
Wanna-be Pommie B******s

Gaz&Rach is on a distinguished road

We visited Redcliffe twice last year whilst satying in Brisbane. Both times we had a drive round looking at streets etc and had a good walk round the seafront areas and some of the shops there. It certainly didn't look like wrinkly place anymore.

At Sutton's beach there's a couple of cafe's with plenty of seating outside by the bandstand (live music) with gardens at either side and public toilets. Then grassy areas to sit on and picnic benches with a playground area (climbing frames, swings, slides etc.) This whole area looked relatively new. All the way along the beach runs a path lined with tall trees giving some shade and a few sheltered barbecue areas. There were loads of large families with young kids. There was also tandem skydiving landing on the beach.

Nearby there's a man-made swimming lagoon area with another playground, this area was being refurbished while we were there so didn't get to use it.

Then there's the new peir (we went fishing off it but the bright blue jelly fish kept going for our bate). I read somewhere you can go whale-watching on this peir.

There was plenty of shops and pavement cafe's/coffee shops. Seemed like a young family place to me. But I suppose you can't be certain from a couple of visits.

R
Old Jan 20th 2005, 3:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Gaz&Rach
We visited Redcliffe twice last year whilst satying in Brisbane. Both times we had a drive round looking at streets etc and had a good walk round the seafront areas and some of the shops there. It certainly didn't look like wrinkly place anymore.

At Sutton's beach there's a couple of cafe's with plenty of seating outside by the bandstand (live music) with gardens at either side and public toilets. Then grassy areas to sit on and picnic benches with a playground area (climbing frames, swings, slides etc.) This whole area looked relatively new. All the way along the beach runs a path lined with tall trees giving some shade and a few sheltered barbecue areas. There were loads of large families with young kids. There was also tandem skydiving landing on the beach.

Nearby there's a man-made swimming lagoon area with another playground, this area was being refurbished while we were there so didn't get to use it.

Then there's the new peir (we went fishing off it but the bright blue jelly fish kept going for our bate). I read somewhere you can go whale-watching on this peir.

There was plenty of shops and pavement cafe's/coffee shops. Seemed like a young family place to me. But I suppose you can't be certain from a couple of visits.

R
Thanks for the info.....does look nice on the web
Old Jan 20th 2005, 3:56 pm
Wanna-be Pommie B******s

Gaz&Rach is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info.....does look nice on the web
I've got some pics (mostly the kids playing but you can see a bit of the playground area by the beach and the sea in the background). They're too big to put on here though and I don't knoe how to make them smaller. Here's a link to the Council website for anyone else interested.

http://www.redcliffe.qld.gov.au/tourism/index.html

R
Old Jan 20th 2005, 8:07 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.....
Several months ago, I think it was ABC Diamond, posted a list of ages and percentages of population (ABS statistics), showing that the 55+ bracket only accounted for the small percent of populaion. Also contrary to some belief, there has been a vast amount of money spent to upgrade the area in both amenities and housing, with even the most shabbiest properties now fetching higher prices. For example, over $1 Million each spent on both the Ambassador and Scarborough hotels, to modernise them.

The major drawback though, is the lack of public transport ie trains (nearest station Sandgate and Brighton) and buses after a certain time. Why the local council hasn't taken this to the govt and fought gor the introduction of better services, I don't know.

It is however, less busy and more relaxing than Brisbane or the Bayside areas.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 8:57 pm
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I have a couple of sites that may be able to help you out on the info front.
Here you go
http://www.ourbrisbane.com/living/suburbs/
http://www.ourbrisbane.com/living/suburbs/
For housing you may want to try this just do your own search
http://ninemsn.realestate.com.au/

Hope this helps
Good luck with your search
Ang

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.