Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane. Not taking much cash actually.

Moving to Brisbane. Not taking much cash actually.

Old Aug 2nd 2011, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Alienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant future
Default Moving to Brisbane. Not taking much cash actually.

Hi There,

me and my family (2 adults 2 children - 3 and 5 years) are hopefully moving to Brisbane end of December this year.

I have a job $85k and there is a chance my wife will also have a part-time one at the same company.

We're not really taking much cash with us at all. We will have paid for flights, removals and shipping and we will have the cash for 4 weeks short-term rental and to cover the bond and rental advance for our long-term rental. We will also have $2500-$3000 for a car to runaround in for the first few months.

Apart from about $1000 to get us through the first 2 weeks until I get my first pay cheque, that's about it. Is there anything else I'm not thinking about as I can't see this amount of cash being a prob. I read about people taking £15k with them to get started!

All opinions welcome.

Cheers
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane. Not taking much cash actually.

Originally Posted by Alienfeet
Hi There,

me and my family (2 adults 2 children - 3 and 5 years) are hopefully moving to Brisbane end of December this year.

I have a job $85k and there is a chance my wife will also have a part-time one at the same company.

We're not really taking much cash with us at all. We will have paid for flights, removals and shipping and we will have the cash for 4 weeks short-term rental and to cover the bond and rental advance for our long-term rental. We will also have $2500-$3000 for a car to runaround in for the first few months.

Apart from about $1000 to get us through the first 2 weeks until I get my first pay cheque, that's about it. Is there anything else I'm not thinking about as I can't see this amount of cash being a prob. I read about people taking £15k with them to get started!

All opinions welcome.

Cheers
Personally I think you're going to struggle to find a car for that cheap What about furniture etc
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

JAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really nice

A few costs I can think of off the top of my head in the first 2 weeks:

Car insurance (maybe just get 3rd party if it's a cheap car)
Petrol/tolls - depends on how much you're driving around +/- $50/week
Food - $150-$200/week
Hire car/taxis/public transport until you buy your car (make sure it comes with a safety certificate)
Drinks, ice creams, coffees whilst out
Sunscreen!

Should be ok with $1000. Good luck!

Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi There,

All opinions welcome.

Cheers
Buying furniture
renting furniture
school uniforms
nursery fees
food
trips out
not getting long term rental in 4 weeks
rental being more expensive than planned
car insurance
mobiles - need one for internet, believe me you'll need it
car seats - 2 kids so you'll need two
fuel - $100 easy
Public transport to get to work

Just for starters.

A car for 2-3k is a bit of a longs shot as well.

Honestly unless you want to spend your first two weeks in your new home sitting in a crappy short tern rentl then I think it's impossible. I arrived end of Feb 2011, my wife and 2 kids end of March 2011.

A short selection of some of my outgoings in the first few weeks

$1700 for 10 nights temporary accommodation
$2200 for 5 weeks furntiture rental
$500 for 2 weeks food
$300 to get oldest started in school
$300 on car seat, other one came on plane
$150 on phones
$50 car insurance

How much wages you expecting after 2 weeks? Are you starting work as soon as you get here? How is everything getting sorted then?
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Alienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant future

Curly - we're having all our stuff shipped over

JAMFC - Everything is budgeted for weekly in terms of schools, medical, GP visits, food, mobiles, broadband, fuel, rego, insurance, public transport etc. etc.

BingoBob777 - very detailed response, thanks. As I responded to JAMFC I have just about everything budgeted for in terms of weekly living costs. We are going to be staying in the Brisbane Holiday Village for the first 4 weeks and that will be paid for up front.

Also we are having all our stuff shipped over so no need to buy any furniture.

Yes, I start work as soon as I get there (Jan 4th or 5th). My employer is offering LAFHA as part of my salary package and they have told me my NET annual salary will be $74,900 which means my first fortnightly pay cheque will be around $2880.

My budget for a car might be an issue but one we can sort out I think.

Cheers for the respsonse guys
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

By the way BOB, what is The Gap like? I have this suburb on my shortlist along with Mitchelton, Alderley and Ferny Grove
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:34 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Moving to Brisbane. Not taking much cash actually.

Hi There,

Apart from about $1000 to get us through the first 2 weeks until I get my first pay cheque, that's about it. Is there anything else I'm not thinking about as I can't see this amount of cash being a prob. I read about people taking £15k
with them to get started!

All opinions welcome.

Cheers
The price of the car is very ambitious and I think food for a family will be more than $200 a week as someone suggested. Basically $1000 will give you the equivalent of 400 quid - if you can get by on that for 2 weeks in the UK then you might be frugal enough to not need to bring anymore over to start up. I think bringing so little risks putting yourself under more strain and anxiety at the start.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

swallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to all

Curly - we're having all our stuff shipped over

JAMFC - Everything is budgeted for weekly in terms of schools, medical, GP visits, food, mobiles, broadband, fuel, rego, insurance, public transport etc. etc.

BingoBob777 - very detailed response, thanks. As I responded to JAMFC I have just about everything budgeted for in terms of weekly living costs. We are going to be staying in the Brisbane Holiday Village for the first 4 weeks and that will be paid for up front.

Also we are having all our stuff shipped over so no need to buy any furniture.

Yes, I start work as soon as I get there (Jan 4th or 5th). My employer is
offering LAFHA as part of my salary package and they have told me my NET
annual salary will be $74,900 which means my first fortnightly pay cheque will be around $2880.

My budget for a car might be an issue but one we can sort out I think.

Cheers for the respsonse guys

Hi,
We (family of 5) are in the same boat as you, NOT much cash at all! We too are staying at Brisbane Holiday Village and need to hire a car from the airport.
OH hasn't got a job to go to so will use the car to look for work and rental house.
Will let you know how we get on with what little money we have and our stumbling blocks (hope we don't have ANY of them) lol, and what Brisbane Holiday village is like too.

Take care, x
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 10:27 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree about the car, you will struggle to find anything worth buying for $3k and $200 a week wont buy much food for a family.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 2:31 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm no expert but it seems very unlikely that an income of $85K gross could be as much as $74900 net even with LAFHA!

That would make your taxable income $10100.

I would just double confirm with your employer the tax free amounts available as it could impact your budget significantly.

Best of luck.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 2:51 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I agree about the car, you will struggle to find anything worth buying for $3k and $200 a week wont buy much food for a family.
I disagree, $2 or $3k will easily pick you up a Ford festiva with 100km to 150km.

To the OP, as per tking's post if I were you I'd be making sure 100% that your net salary will be the figure you've been told.

Also, I would have some sort of contingency plan in place if you can't find a rental within 4 weeks.

cheers
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Scoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really nice

I would personally would have a lot more $ i.e. bond etc. Brisbane is the 14th most expensive city in the world! So be prepared!
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 3:02 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I've just looked at another post where bingobob777 Here states that for a family of four you could get $15k a year for food, $26K a year for rent (assuming $500 week rent) so your taxable income would be $44K. You may also need to ask them about super contributions etc.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

By the way BOB, what is The Gap like? I have this suburb on my shortlist along with Mitchelton, Alderley and Ferny Grove
The Gap is lovely, it seems to have a good bus service into the city, my hubbie worked at the Gap when we first came over and we spent a long time around that area. I can't imagine that the traffic is that good in rush hour now as it really is one road in and one road out so the traffic in the mornings might not be too good,. The Gap has a great state high school that does well against the top private schools in Brissy. Good luck with your move over.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scoult
I would personally would have a lot more $ i.e. bond etc. Brisbane is the 14th most expensive city in the world! So be prepared!
Which survey did you get that from?

I assume the Economist Intelligence Unit survey. This survey does not measure cost of living in each country, but rather the cost of visiting for someone earning US dollars. As Australia's exchange rate has surged against the US dollar Australian cities have risen in the survey rankings independently of any cost of living changes. In fact our cost of living could have actually dropped and we still would have risen in the survey.

It makes this survey meaningless for cost of living comparisons.

Last edited by fish.01; Aug 3rd 2011 at 3:15 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.