Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane

Moving to Brisbane

Old Oct 6th 2011, 8:56 am
Just Joined

GemmaSophie is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Brisbane

Couple of questions if anyone can help.....
1.) My boyfriend and I have applied for a 457 visa and I was wondering how long it takes to process? We applied on 29th September so we're trying to decide when to make our final arrangements.
2.) The job my boyfriend has is in the Brisbane suburb of Wacol. Does anyone know of any places close by where would be good to start looking for somewhere to stay?

Any help would be great. Thanks!!!!
Old Oct 6th 2011, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane

It could take a couple of weeks or a few months, all visa applications are different.

I would not recommend making any "final" arrangements until you have your visa granted.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 9:11 am
Just Joined

Thanks. Just getting so excited about the move it's hard to not want to make plans
Old Oct 6th 2011, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GemmaSophie
Thanks. Just getting so excited about the move it's hard to not want to make plans
Well no harm in looking at stuff on the internet and daydreaming for now, but try to resist drastic action like chucking in your jobs or selling your house / giving notice on it for a little bit longer. It has only been a few days since you lodged.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 9:31 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Wacol is mostly industrial - except for the inhabitants of the prison there! It's quite easily accessible via the Ipswich motorway from Brisbane. If your partner was to commute he'd be travelling against the flow of traffic so it shouldn't be too bad (lots of people travel into Brisbane from Ipswich direction so the traffic can be a nightmare that way).

You'd could probably consider Darra, Oxley, Corinda and Sherwood (I live in Sherwood and love it). Or even Jindalee and the suburbs around there.

Best of luck.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Matthew_Brisbane is an unknown quantity at this point

Just adding to tking's reply. Out towards Wacol you are starting to move away from the more expensive inner suburbs. If you are looking for jouses at a reasonable price, suburbs like 'Forest Lake' and 'Springfield Lakes' are newer suburbs. They are cheaper as there is not great public transport options in Brisbane CBD compared to other areas.

You could also look towards Ipswich if his work is close to the railway line, he could commute daily. 'East Ipswich' and 'Booval' are reasonably priced suburbs, and would only be a short train ride to Wacol.

Old Oct 6th 2011, 11:42 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tking
Wacol is mostly industrial - except for the inhabitants of the prison there!
And also the ex-residents too.

steer well clear I'd say.....
Old Oct 7th 2011, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks all for the tips
Old Oct 8th 2011, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine works at the Detention Centre and travels from the Gold Coast to work. Don't restrict yourself too much in house hunting. Will your boyfriend be driving? Check out all the driving/public transport options. Do you have kids?
Old Oct 10th 2011, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Hi, yes we will be both driving and no children so we're not restricted in where we live, just need somewhere that is easy for him to get to work.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you think about the maximum commuting time that he would like and take it from there.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Caddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really nice

Wacol is probably closer to Ipswich than Brisbane and Ipswich is way cheaper to live than Brisbane. It depends whether you want a City lifestyle I guess but there are some great suburbs in Ipswich and we love it .....Only 40 mins to the city (Brisbane) and an hour to the Gold Coast. Great people with a friendly and homely feel to it.
20 mins drive from Ipswich to Wacol and great train links if you want to avoid the Ipswich motorway.

I would definitely have a look at Springfield Lakes and Forest Lakes for rentals -also look at Karalee and Chuwar (towards Ipswich but still only 15 min drive to Wacol) I probably wouldn't live in Booval and I would definitely avoid Redbank Plains and Goodna.

Happy house hunting xx