Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving To Brisbane

Moving To Brisbane

Old Mar 18th 2006, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Jameslola is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving To Brisbane

Hi all, my partner and I have just been granted our permanent residency visa’s and will be moving to Brisbane mid July. We’re very excited but feel we just want to get all the hard stuff out of the way when we arrive. Like most people we’ll have no jobs, no car nowhere to live and a dog in transit. (She will arrive 6 weeks after us)

We’re after a few tips. Where do you recommend we stay for the first couple of weeks while we’re looking for rented accommodation? (Hotels, motels backpackers)

We want to rent for the first 6 months until we’re settled then buy. Any tips on renting?

Do you recommend any banks? Is it worth opening an account this end?

I work in HR and my partner is a college tutor. Does anybody know what qualifications are require to teach in colleges? My partner has stage 1 and 2 teaching qualifications and a certificate in education

We would be grateful of any information

James
Old Mar 18th 2006, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving To Brisbane

Hi JamesLola
I know how you're feeling. When we were waiting to go, I wanted to get as prepared as I possibly could.
We had friends here to stay with when we arrived, but I can give a bit of advice on the renting bit...
If you've been renting in the UK, ask your landlord/property agent for a reference. It might also be a good idea to keep your final bills with this. Even though they're foreign, it still shows you're a decent renter! When we were looking fr a place to rent (May 05), it was a bit hectic, we had to put an application in quick before anyone else did. We were also prepared to offer rent an month or 2 in advance, but they didn't take us up on it! We found the rent more expensive than the UK, but our finances as a whole evened out, as other things are cheaper. You don't have to pay council tax when you're renting, or water (under a certain amount). We rented a unit (flat) quite close to the city (Ascot). We bought a home, and just moved in last week!
Jenny
Old Mar 21st 2006, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jameslola
Hi all, my partner and I have just been granted our permanent residency visa’s and will be moving to Brisbane mid July. We’re very excited but feel we just want to get all the hard stuff out of the way when we arrive. Like most people we’ll have no jobs, no car nowhere to live and a dog in transit. (She will arrive 6 weeks after us)

We’re after a few tips. Where do you recommend we stay for the first couple of weeks while we’re looking for rented accommodation? (Hotels, motels backpackers)

We want to rent for the first 6 months until we’re settled then buy. Any tips on renting?

I work in HR and my partner is a college tutor. Does anybody know what qualifications are require to teach in colleges? My partner has stage 1 and 2 teaching qualifications and a certificate in education

James
Can't help with the renting as we bought straight away, but would recommened you opena bank account from the uk with ANZ www.anz.com.au as they have a flat charge of $5 per month it's takes around 2 weeks from when you send the forms.

Were in Brisbane do you plan to settle?? a good site for info is www.ourbrisbane.com.au

Martin
Old Mar 21st 2006, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of

Hi ..Yep we applied this end for a ANZ account, they seem straight forward ?..as for a roof over your heads try.. www.gatewayvillage.com.au and ask for a brochure
Old Mar 21st 2006, 12:25 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tabby
Can't help with the renting as we bought straight away, but would recommened you opena bank account from the uk with ANZ www.anz.com.au as they have a flat charge of $5 per month it's takes around 2 weeks from when you send the forms.

Were in Brisbane do you plan to settle?? a good site for info is www.ourbrisbane.com.au

Martin

excellent website. Nice one Martin !
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the club, we arrive mid June and like you we have no job, no car, no home, but we don’t have a dog in transit!
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:07 pm

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Welcome to the club, we arrive mid June and like you we have no job, no car, no home, but we don’t have a dog in transit!

we wont be far behind you if we sell this bloody bloody house, that im beginning to hate!!!! LOL

we are family of five, me hubby, ade, and three girls, 10, 3 and nearly 2 (may) - my baby!

mand
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:38 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SBUK
Hi ..Yep we applied this end for a ANZ account, they seem straight forward ?..as for a roof over your heads try.. www.gatewayvillage.com.au and ask for a brochure
Ouch! Their prices are pretty high. Kangaroo Point, which is in the Brisbane CBD district, charges $660 per week (if you stay 4 weeks or over and in the highest rated 4.5 star apartment). The total for a 2-bed type A villa at GatewayVillage is $4,004.51 for 4 weeks whereas for the same duration at Kangaroo Point you would be charged $2,640.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Ouch! Their prices are pretty high. Kangaroo Point, which is in the Brisbane CBD district, charges $660 per week (if you stay 4 weeks or over and in the highest rated 4.5 star apartment). The total for a 2-bed type A villa at GatewayVillage is $4,004.51 for 4 weeks whereas for the same duration at Kangaroo Point you would be charged $2,640.
Some great advice thx guys
Old Mar 21st 2006, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by amanda76
we wont be far behind you if we sell this bloody bloody house, that im beginning to hate!!!! LOL

we are family of five, me hubby, ade, and three girls, 10, 3 and nearly 2 (may) - my baby!

mand
I'm sure it will all work out for all of us. It will be nice to buy in 6 months once we're settled
Old Mar 21st 2006, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tabby

Martin
Thx Martin, yes we plan to settle. It's been 10 years since I've been to Brisbane though. Just gotta sell our damm house
Old Mar 21st 2006, 5:02 pm

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thx Martin, yes we plan to settle. It's been 10 years since I've been to Brisbane though. Just gotta sell our damm house

looks like we are all waiting on house sales!!!...................

come on house fairies!!!!

mand
Old Mar 21st 2006, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Jempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to all

James
Hi James
We are in the same boat-just got visa planning on leaving 14th July for Brisbane with one boxer.

Have just opened an account with Westpac -went online printed the forms and posted them last week.

Did you sort your dog out yourself or go with a company?

We are looking at Redcliffe, Manly or Wynnum and will be renting for 6 mths so if we find anything will send it to you (hope I spelt them right!)

Aly
Old Mar 21st 2006, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jempower
Hi James
We are in the same boat-just got visa planning on leaving 14th July for Brisbane with one boxer.

Have just opened an account with Westpac -went online printed the forms and posted them last week.

Did you sort your dog out yourself or go with a company?

We are looking at Redcliffe, Manly or Wynnum and will be renting for 6 mths so if we find anything will send it to you (hope I spelt them right!)

Aly
Hi Aly,

We should be leaving on the 14th July as well. We're booking on the 8th April. We're bringing our Staffy Lola. We're using Golden Arrow shippers. If you'd like more info let me know. It's going to cost 2.5-3k all in.

Not sure where we want to live yet. I think we'll rent close to the CBD for the first 6 months (within 15k) then when we're ready to buy see where our jobs are and go from there

Not sure to go with ANZ or Westpac. Do you get a monthly charge with Westpac?

James
Old Mar 21st 2006, 7:58 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

For more info on bayside areas try this forum...a lot more localised

http://s6.invisionfree.com/BrisbaneBaysideBrits

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.