Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

moving belongings to aus

moving belongings to aus

Old Apr 11th 2010, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

abbeyandcharlie is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile moving belongings to aus

Hi, we are looking to move to aus in nov 2011 and havnt got a clue about moving items over. we dont want to take furniture just little things like picture frames, bedding, clothes, cd's, dvds and considering kitchen untensils. its a bit of a nightmare trying to find out the best way of taking these bits over... we dont really need one of those massive containers which work out about £4000. is there anyway we can put our stuff on the plane with us as extra baggage? can anybody help?

Thanks
Abbey and Charlie
Old Apr 11th 2010, 9:10 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving belongings to aus

Originally Posted by abbeyandcharlie
Hi, we are looking to move to aus in nov 2011 and havnt got a clue about moving items over. we dont want to take furniture just little things like picture frames, bedding, clothes, cd's, dvds and considering kitchen untensils. its a bit of a nightmare trying to find out the best way of taking these bits over... we dont really need one of those massive containers which work out about £4000. is there anyway we can put our stuff on the plane with us as extra baggage? can anybody help?

Thanks
Abbey and Charlie
Try this lot: http://www.excess-baggage.com/ they've been mentioned on BE before and seem to be ok? I'm sure there are other, similar companies, so do your research....
Old Apr 11th 2010, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

tartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant future

Stick your gear in groupage and ship it in a shared container. Pay by the volume not weight.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

We sent our stuff with Anglo Pacific. It was about 8 boxes of stuff just like that (clothes/books/etc) and only came to a few hundred pounds. It did take a couple of months though as we sent it by boat (which was fine for us as we were going travelling first so it arrived before we did) but if you need it sent quicker it would be more expensive.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:31 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and doh me, we sent about 8 boxes by Airfreight with Pickfords, couldn't tell you how much it cost as the OH's employers paid for it but it was in Oz before us and was delivered very promptly to us upon arrival!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

al_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud of

What about Voovit?

http://www.voovit.com
Old Apr 12th 2010, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

ollydt is an unknown quantity at this point

We are looking at several companies, found Pickfords and Hoults (both part of same company) to offer best service and they advised us to shop around for quotes but their's was around the £5 per cubic ft. It is worth doing your research as someone said but we have found its the options on storage to be the key to negotiations as price per cubic foot don't vary too much (so we have found), but where stuff is stored is big difference. Some offer storage on this side of the big lake and wait for your nod on shipping it out, others have said they will ship immediately and store it in Melbourne for us until we are ready, up to 2 months free as well.

Thanks for the voovit recommendation they seem fairly reasonable

Olly
Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

carole1968 is just really nicecarole1968 is just really nicecarole1968 is just really nicecarole1968 is just really nicecarole1968 is just really nicecarole1968 is just really nicecarole1968 is just really nicecarole1968 is just really nice
Question Re: moving belongings to aus

Has anyone successfully taken a car and some furniture in one container to Oz? Who did you use and how much was it?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by abbeyandcharlie

Thanks
Abbey and Charlie
Just a quick one to say I have just had Crown Relocations round and they have been very thorough. Based in Leeds and take care of move from door to door.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

abbeyandcharlie is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks everyone thats great, will check the websites out x
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Not much else to add except if you do decide to use a shared container (with hindsight) I would ask your top 2 how full their containers where and how soon they expect to ship.

Our stuff was packed up on 5th March and is still sat in the warehouse in this country, I leave in less and 2 weeks so we are going to be a loooooong time in Oz without our stuff.

As I said with hindsight I would definitely have asked that question, sometimes its not all about money
Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Sorry this is something which, having read the documents provided in full, we have started hunting around...shipping insurance. The quotes removal companies offer are 3%ish of the value of the goods making the insurance alone about £600. Any advice on good value for money insurers?
Old Apr 18th 2010, 3:56 pm
Adventure sorted

Location: Norn Iron ... Brisbane, and now off to Melbourne East
Hoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant future

try this link.

Im just looking at costs myself.
This company offer 2.25% for all Risk cover.
Be careful some companys only quote loss cover, which is much less. its 1.3% with thsi company.

http://www.shipping-insurance.com/ca...ce-quotes.html

Let me know how you get on! Im moving out of my house and renting it next month, then shipping contents to Brisbane . . meantime frantically looking for a job! I am also storing the contents in the UK for a few months (as its much cheaper), then this give me more time in OZ to find a 12mth rental.,

Cheers
Old Apr 18th 2010, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hoolio1972
try this link.

Im just looking at costs myself.
This company offer 2.25% for all Risk cover.
Be careful some companys only quote loss cover, which is much less. its 1.3% with thsi company.

http://www.shipping-insurance.com/ca...ce-quotes.html

Let me know how you get on! Im moving out of my house and renting it next month, then shipping contents to Brisbane . . meantime frantically looking for a job! I am also storing the contents in the UK for a few months (as its much cheaper), then this give me more time in OZ to find a 12mth rental.,

Cheers
Not sure if this helps, but given that it takes 8-12 weeks, we have managed to negotiate free storage 30 days here, 30 days there, all the companies, Pickfords, Brittania and now Crown all offered at least 30 days without even asking for it. Will save you some money on storage if they are willing to do it for you. Should also give you about 4-5 months to find somewhere to live.

You based in NI? If so the link I put above to Crown Relocations shows they have an office in NI so should be able to offer you the storage they offered me.

Thanks for the link to the insurance company I have just got a quote off these http://www.insure-your-move.com/?gcl...FZFh4wod9xPnAg

Hope all goes well with the move,
Olly