Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Moving Back to the UK forum

The Moving Back to the UK forum

Old Jan 29th 2005, 8:22 am
Merlot

Default Re: The Moving Back to the UK forum

Originally Posted by desperate2go
The thing about being homesick is that it is something that you cant really anticipate. You know you will be homesick, but whether it is all consuming or not, you will never really know until you get there and try it. Going out there for whatever trip- holiday/research is never going to imitate the real feeling of knowing that you are not going 'home' at the end of it.

So its not really fair to criticise anyone for coming back - especially as we on here all know how tough it is going in the first place. I think we should admire them for trying it and wish good luck to them on their return. It probably means that you appreciate where you end up more than you ever would of in the first place.
Amen again!!!

Old Jan 29th 2005, 8:23 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by heading downunder 2002
I knew very quickly, within the first few weeks that I was never going to settle and before anyone jumps on me and says I should have given it longer, with all due respect you don't know me and if you did you would know that I am someone who would not have taken this decision lightly.

And no Wombat42 there will be no whinge whinge whinge because Australia was not the problem it was the fact that I knew that I could never live there and that I would never settle. Australia is a lovely country, all the people I met were great but it was not my home and never ever would be.

I am not someone who went there on a whim, we had been twice and I and lived and breathed Australia for about 10 years before we actually went so I felt that we knew what we were doing.

Yes hubby came back because of me, he would have liked to stay but he didn't come back because I said he came back because he knew me and that if I said that I could not live there then that was true and to be quite honest me and our little girls happiness was far more important to him than living in Australia and also the fact that we didn't leave the UK because we hated living here.

He doesn't come on here because he is not into the internet etc but he would tell you exactly the same thing as I am saying.

And as for marriage guidance etc, we have been married 20 years and our marriage is as strong as it has ever been, we work together and if something isn't right for one then the other makes the sacrifice, if the boot had been on the other foot in Oz and my hubby had said he couldn't have lived there then I would have done the same for him. He is very happy back here and the only thing that annoys him about our adventure to Oz is the money it cost.

Susan
Oh and the final Amen - words of wisdom!

M

Old Jan 29th 2005, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Simone I agree with you, people are very harsh in judging those who go back, which is probably why so very few ever admit they are going back on this forum.

Its far more complicated than blaming women for not giving it a long enough go, for a start many marriages suffer enormous stress once people arrive, no job, no income, renting after years of having security, that would be stressful if you just moved to a new town in the UK.

People do get a shock, so many people on here dont visit first and dismiss threads about education, cost of living, wages as people who live here whinging, what do people think happens when they realise what those people are saying is true?

Families dont just have one person, who is to say your entire family will love the place and not have very divided opinions on staying or returning.

Its very easy to sit comfortably in the UK and say lower wages wont matter, right now try saying that after 2 years of struggling, say my family are just a flight away, now say that when its more than most families will save in 5 years on aussie wages. Say relaxed education will make your kids happy now say it when youve just realised they are now years behind their UK friends. It all looks different when you are here!

Did the people who pack up and leave after a few weeks visit first, my guess is no. Would a research trip have prevented that, research not holiday You have to look at their point of view, perhaps going straight back they can slip back into what they gave up, staying on dwindles the funds!

Be a bit more understanding people, very few admit they are going back on here, understandably so who wants to be called a whinger when they need support! A lot go back next year it might be YOU! will you announce it on here tho
Amen to that!
Old Jan 29th 2005, 8:39 am
Merlot

All these Amen's and not even a Sunday!

All lot of wise words for a change, nice to see balance restoring and both sides being able to give their views, no one eyes monsters lurking. :scared:

Off for a bacon buttie.

M

Old Jan 29th 2005, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: The Moving Back to the UK forum

As an aussie who has been living here in the UK for 10 years now even I am filled with some healthy trepidation at going back home one day.
I went through a stage of absolutely hating the UK, the culture is very different from OZ. It would have been easy enough to pack up and go on the strength of the awful cattle train I had to catch to and from work every day. I used to wonder how people could get used to that. I could go on....but Im sure there those who could say the same about Oz! Mainly I think Oz is very isolated and a little too American, but its my home and I'll always feel a longing to be back there. I dont think some people do Oz justice, with their blanket statements about Oz or nothing, likewise I think it takes real commitment to become part of a new culture, and prior reseach etc will never really be enough-it's toughing it out over a period of years that will really commit you to the country.
I do believe that people have a right to change their minds though, without the fear of being slated off. Many of these people have children and that makes any decison keener and more weighty. Women are often responsible for these kinds of decisions (yes really) and 3 weeks or 3 years wont change the real reason for the decision-as many on this post have stated,the decisions are obviously based on a lot more than personal preference of country.
I do hope Wombat doesnt slate me off for this post but Ive lived on both sides of the pond too,and each country has it its good and bad points.
I hope people continue to try Oz out, and I hope that those who return home ti the uk are enrichened by their experiences and gain a stronger ideal of their place in the world.
For those thinking of, or in the process of leaving, theres not really too much you can do apart from try it out. It propbably helps to have few if any expectations. I came to the UK on a one way ticket with a few hundred dollars to my name. Ive enjoyed the experience immensely up to a certain point in time-having my first child. From that experience I know in my heart that there is more to life than a bigger house, or car, or prestige school. We will give up our standard of living here and have to go back a peg or two, but my childhood experiences are what I want for my child-not because they are better but because its something I want to be able to relate to with her.
However, my child will always have the benefit of her parents experiences. She will learn to respect others and appreciate life and diversity wherever she is as best we can teach her.
Go to OZ, enjoy the pre-planning, the excitement, the build up -dont let anyone take that side of it away from you. Rose coloured glasses got me to where I am and Im so glad I put em on, despite the last two very tough years. When you get to Oz get out and meet people, join clubs, open up, and most imporatnly embrace the change. Best of luck to you all

ps-Pollyanna how are things/ are you still in Melb?
Old Jan 29th 2005, 11:59 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I do hope Wombat doesnt slate me off for this post
Judging from my extensive reading of this forum I'd say your chances were slim at best. He's just a troll and you can stick him on ignore if you so wish
Old Jan 29th 2005, 1:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruthyman

Hiya mate, long time no hear!! Happily married, living in Brisbane since November 2003 (after leaving Heathrow on my broomstick on Hallowe'en!)
Will drop you a pm!!
Old Jan 29th 2005, 3:30 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by wombat42
That is the biggest load of garbage l have ever read in my life.
First of all you are in the wrong forum. This is the Australian forum, your type of comments belong in the" Moving back to the UK forum" or what should be called the " Whinging Poms Who Failed in OZ forum".
Australia is not a part of Asia it is a seperate contintent. It is no more a part of Asia the Amercia or Europe. Asians only make up 5% of the population of OZ. There are far more Asians in the UK then OZ and far more racism in UK towards Asians overthere such as the Oldham race riots against Pakistanis.
There has never been anti asian race riots in OZ as in the UK.
Australia is a far better country to live in then the UK in terms Of climate, environment and standard of living. The average Aussie has a far better standard of life then the average Pom.
54% of Britains want to leave thier miserable cold conjested country and the most popular destination is OZ for these immigrants.while only 12% of Aussies want to leave Australia. If the UK is so great and OZ so crap why did you and
so many others decide to leave it and come to OZ in the first place. You know OZ is a far better country to live in then that cold, little, overcrowded, overconjested crime ridden class ridden shit hole called the UK.
Most POms only return not because they don't like OZ but because they
miss friends and relatives. In your case the only reason you went back to the UK is because your a mummy's boy who missed his mummy and found he could'nt live without her.

For your information, the 'cold, little, overcrowded, overcongested, crime ridden class ridden shit hole called the UK', is filled with a large number of Aussies, who take it upon themselves to build their own communities in places all over London.

Smiling their way through various bar jobs, drinking their way through night clubs and enjoying the cash that they have earned in OUR SHIT HOLE OF A COUNTRY.

So whilst you're busy slagging of the United Kingdom, if its that shit, then why are the Aussies flocking here in the first place?

Whilst I am in the process of applying to emigrate to Australia, I will not forget where I come from and am extremely proud to be British.

Slag off the UK, and you look extremely stupid, if not a little racist.
And what is more, you're not giving the best impression of Australia either.

Sometimes things aren't what you thought they would be. And its a persons right to deal with it in a way they see fit.

You don't have to attack them for it.

Yours very proudly living in Great Britain - Samantha

Old Jan 29th 2005, 3:33 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by Ruthyman
As an aussie who has been living here in the UK for 10 years now even I am filled with some healthy trepidation at going back home one day.
I went through a stage of absolutely hating the UK, the culture is very different from OZ. It would have been easy enough to pack up and go on the strength of the awful cattle train I had to catch to and from work every day. I used to wonder how people could get used to that. I could go on....but Im sure there those who could say the same about Oz! Mainly I think Oz is very isolated and a little too American, but its my home and I'll always feel a longing to be back there. I dont think some people do Oz justice, with their blanket statements about Oz or nothing, likewise I think it takes real commitment to become part of a new culture, and prior reseach etc will never really be enough-it's toughing it out over a period of years that will really commit you to the country.
I do believe that people have a right to change their minds though, without the fear of being slated off. Many of these people have children and that makes any decison keener and more weighty. Women are often responsible for these kinds of decisions (yes really) and 3 weeks or 3 years wont change the real reason for the decision-as many on this post have stated,the decisions are obviously based on a lot more than personal preference of country.
I do hope Wombat doesnt slate me off for this post but Ive lived on both sides of the pond too,and each country has it its good and bad points.
I hope people continue to try Oz out, and I hope that those who return home ti the uk are enrichened by their experiences and gain a stronger ideal of their place in the world.
For those thinking of, or in the process of leaving, theres not really too much you can do apart from try it out. It propbably helps to have few if any expectations. I came to the UK on a one way ticket with a few hundred dollars to my name. Ive enjoyed the experience immensely up to a certain point in time-having my first child. From that experience I know in my heart that there is more to life than a bigger house, or car, or prestige school. We will give up our standard of living here and have to go back a peg or two, but my childhood experiences are what I want for my child-not because they are better but because its something I want to be able to relate to with her.
However, my child will always have the benefit of her parents experiences. She will learn to respect others and appreciate life and diversity wherever she is as best we can teach her.
Go to OZ, enjoy the pre-planning, the excitement, the build up -dont let anyone take that side of it away from you. Rose coloured glasses got me to where I am and Im so glad I put em on, despite the last two very tough years. When you get to Oz get out and meet people, join clubs, open up, and most imporatnly embrace the change. Best of luck to you all

You're right about Rose Coloured Glasses. They can make a dull day alot brighter.

I have mine on now and will take them off when I realise my dream.

Well said.

Old Jan 29th 2005, 3:44 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
For your information, the 'cold, little, overcrowded, overcongested, crime ridden class ridden shit hole called the UK', is filled with a large number of Aussies, who take it upon themselves to build their own communities in places all over London.

Smiling their way through various bar jobs, drinking their way through night clubs and enjoying the cash that they have earned in OUR SHIT HOLE OF A COUNTRY.

So whilst you're busy slagging of the United Kingdom, if its that shit, then why are the Aussies flocking here in the first place?

Whilst I am in the process of applying to emigrate to Australia, I will not forget where I come from and am extremely proud to be British.

Slag off the UK, and you look extremely stupid, if not a little racist.
And what is more, you're not giving the best impression of Australia either.

Sometimes things aren't what you thought they would be. And its a persons right to deal with it in a way they see fit.

You don't have to attack them for it.

Yours very proudly living in Great Britain - Samantha
Nicely put P.P.

Old Jan 29th 2005, 3:47 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I often visit that forum, mainly to make sure I am prepared for the upheaval that will be caused by the big move (if it ever happens!)

It is sad to hear some of the stories on there...
Old Jan 29th 2005, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
You're right about Rose Coloured Glasses. They can make a dull day alot brighter.

I have mine on now and will take them off when I realise my dream.

Well said.
Hallo PP
Hee hee did you see wombats off again, bit hard to wear any sort of glasses when your head is that far up your a***

Pessimism abounds but you and I know that dreams are half the fun. That been there, got the tshirt so got the right to slag people off stuff is no help to anyone and makes people look sad and pathetic.

Please all-Oz is a fabulous place despite the best (or worst) intentions of some of these trolls. Also please note that us aussies work our a**** off when in the uK and generally spend it all in the UK. If we like to move about and see the world etc...well thats just part of the aussie culture and if you raise kids in oz expect to see them running off to see the world as soon as they can

ps-Pollyanna-I thought you were in Melb-sorry about that! My Bro and his wife just married/moved to Bris-Ill pm you later with their contact details if you like!
Old Jan 29th 2005, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
Asians only make up 5% of the population of OZ. There are far more Asians in the UK then OZ and far more racism in UK towards Asians overthere such as the Oldham race riots against Pakistanis.
There has never been anti asian race riots in OZ as in the UK.
Wombat, not sure what your point is/was re Asian migrants/population but just thought I would clarify that Asia currently provides the highest number of migrants to Australia, annually. In the last couple of years, approx 40% of all immigrants have come from Asia (compared to <10% from the UK (or 19% from UK/Europe as a whole)).

The 5% figure you quoted represents the number of Asian-born residents, and excludes subsequent generations born in Australia. Such is the direction of the immigration programme, by 2025, Australia's British-born population wil be less than Australia's Asian-born population. Does this gives some indication towards the stance of Australia and its economic priorities? (obviously coupled with the fact that the immediate post-war migrants of northern Europe - who were part of the 'White Australia' policy - will be dying out).

The 'Asianisation of Australia' is a rather crude description of some Australian's perception of Australia today, but it is a perception that exists nonetheless. Govt research in the late 1990s concluded that over half of the population thought that the Australian immigration policy was too biased towards taking immigrants from particular regions, and the vast majority of those (90%) nominated Asia.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 8:20 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Merlot
Hi Worzel

I know janeyray did and power to her.

Merlot

hey thanks Merlot
Old Jan 30th 2005, 8:38 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by odaat
What is Eurasia ?

I think there are an 80's pop group, just released another chart topping single.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.