Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK from Australia??

Old Jan 3rd 2017, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Kristianhampson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK from Australia??

Last edited by Kristianhampson; Jan 3rd 2017 at 2:19 pm. Reason: Ok
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 1:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Australia??

1. No, full stop.

2. Yes. You might be eligible to pay for the missing years if you want to. Ask to pay Class 2 contributions if they allow you to.

3. Not really an issue - you might have got a tax refund if you had, but otherwise the impact is minimal.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 3rd 2017 at 1:43 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2017, 4:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Why has the OP been deleted? Kind of rude.
Old Jan 4th 2017, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Google cache of opening post.

I am planning to move back to the UK from Australia later in the year. I first moved out here in november 2012 on a second working holiday visa then onto a 457 and then early last year i was granted permanent residency.
I have some questions about making the move back?
1) I have some money in savings here in Australia from which I have saved from my job, when i transfer this money back to the UK do i face any taxation on this money?

2) i havent been paying my national insurance contributions, when i get a job back in the uk will these automatically start again?

3) on the uk gov website it mentions when you leave the country HMRC should be notified of you leaving the country. I never did this as at the time i had no idea.

Any help would be great.
Old Jan 4th 2017, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mulben
Google cache of opening post.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/image...on_balance.gif

http://britishexpats.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif Moving back to UK from Australia??
I am planning to move back to the UK from Australia later in the year. I first moved out here in november 2012 on a second working holiday visa then onto a 457 and then early last year i was granted permanent residency.
I have some questions about making the move back?
1) I have some money in savings here in Australia from which I have saved from my job, when i transfer this money back to the UK do i face any taxation on this money?

2) i havent been paying my national insurance contributions, when i get a job back in the uk will these automatically start again?

3) on the uk gov website it mentions when you leave the country HMRC should be notified of you leaving the country. I never did this as at the time i had no idea.

Any help would be great.

We did not face any taxation on any savings we had upon our arrival in the UK, when you automatically start work in the UK your NI insurance contributions should be automatically taken out of your salary. We did not inform HMRC we had left the country, we told everyone else but forgot (if indeed we did need to) the HMRC. Good luck on your return, I am being nosey now but why after all you have "done" to get permanent residency do you now want to leave......you don't have to answer that one lol.
Old Jan 4th 2017, 8:01 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I would add two expansions on Pulaski's answers.

2. You can order a copy of your National Insurance contribution record from HMRC and it will tell you which years are short and how much you need to pay in order to make them count towards your state pension. You can pay up to six years in arrears so you can catch up on what you missed.

3. You can complete Form P85 at any time after you leave so it might be worthwhile doing that now to ensure your tax records are up to date before you return.

I would also add that it would be wise to consider obtaining Australian citizenship before you depart if you are about to complete your first year as a Permanent Resident. This will keep the door to Australia open to you for life and any future children you may have in the UK will be eligible for Australian citizenship by descent.