Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK

Moving back to UK

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving back to UK

I'm just about to move back to the UK....what am I letting myself in for?

I'm writing with reference to some sentiments that I pick up from posts about people wanting to 'escape the doom and gloom of the UK', and I'm wondering what the perception is of the UK now. We're going back to have our first child - yet I see many of you cite that the move to Oz is to provide a better life for the kids. What do you see as being better here? Or perhaps, what is not so good there?

This is a genuine question and thankyou to anyone who gives their thoughts as it may help me answer some of the questions/doubts/apprehensions that I have about going back!
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Donk is an unknown quantity at this point

i cant answer your question because i think the UK is a great place to live doom and gloom can be in every country. i would be interested to know why YOU want to return here to have a baby, is it for the free health service or do you have other reasons. no disrespect intended.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Jase the ace is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
We want to move to NZ or OZ, although it looks like NZ. We are going for the space and because basically I have enough equity not to have a mortgage or at least only a very small one which will instantly give me more time to spend with the kids.
It is a bit of a rat race here but it not all bad so don't be put off if you do intend to come to UK.
I think there are more oppertunities for children amongst a smaller population and you also have the weather on your side, (although isnt Melbourne similar weather to hear).
How long have you been there? and what do you or your partner expect to do for work?
regards
Jase
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 11:49 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Hidden-how long have you been away for ?may help with the replies you get -as the changes you will experience compared to say being away for 10 yrs as compared to 5 years will be different
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Time to be a bit controversial

Don't do it, the country is falling apart!!

There are too many bloody immigrants, the politicians are all corrupt, the weather is crap, there are too many politically correct a***holes, the property market is ridiculous and apparently the butler did it.

Seriously though, why? This is not a country to raise your kids in. Our youngest is 10 and we are looking to get out for the kids future.

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Donk - is that sarcasm about the state of UK health service or a genuine question that I may be coming back for a free ride? Australia has a free health system - one that's in a slightly better shape than the UK (but going through a funding crisis, so I use the word 'slightly' with conviction).

We are (probably) coming back for many reasons - but the deciding factor was that we didn't want to be on our own in Oz raising our first child. We have only been here under 2 years so we don't have many well-established friendships and people to lean on. Lots of good friends but still not the 'family factor'. Plus we want the kids to grow up with grandparents.

Prior to being pregnant we were still deciding whether to stay or go. These are the things going against Australia: living in the city, the crime, the crazy drivers and teenage yobbos (believe me, far worse than UK), the pollution, the house prices, the long working hours, short holidays, geographical isolation, americanisation. (Some of these could be rectified by moving elsewhere in Oz, but some can't change)

When we left the UK we didn't consider what would be best for our children as we didn't have any. Now we have a whole new set of questions that we have to ask. From what we have seen here, we wouldn't want to raise our children in Australia either. (Socially, Aus is pretty similar to the UK - same divorce rates (so same probs of demise of family), worse crime rates, same youth probs with drugs and alcohol, higher unemployment rates, etc, etc). Good weather and beaches isn't enough for us. (We have also lived rural so know what to expect with that as well)

We decided last night to go to Adelaide again in a few weeks - we nearly moved there last year but job prospects weren't good at the time for what we do (IT). Not sure if this will make me more or less confused (last week I was convinced it was the UK, this week I feel unsettled again) I know with the visas we can go and come back in say, 2 years....it's just so expensive and unsettling to keep moving all the time!!

Incidentally, Billabong, Australia ranks worse than the UK on the Corruption Index. (This was in The Bulletin last week, about government corruption levels worldwide).

Thanks for all the previous comments. Just off to bang my head against the wall a few times!
Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

bovis is an unknown quantity at this point

If the weather and lifestyle here isn't enough to keep you and you will have a good support network at home where family will help mind the baby and give you some free time (believe me you'll need it after a few months) and help out in emergencys i'd go back. It will also be good for your child to have grandparents and perhaps cousins around, in a few years time you'll definately see the benefits of having this family network close at hand.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:07 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Billabong

There are too many bloody immigrants, the politicians are all corrupt, the weather is crap, there are too many politically correct a***holes, the property market is ridiculous and apparently the butler did it.

Seriously though, why? This is not a country to raise your kids in. Our youngest is 10 and we are looking to get out for the kids future.

People complain about the same crap here.

Aussie politicians make Blair and IDS look good, Sydney house prices are unaffordable and there are lots of immigrants. There is plenty of corruption (Rockdale Council was not an isolated incident). Same shit different country as Amazulu says.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:12 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
People complain about the same crap here.

Aussie politicians make Blair and IDS look good, Sydney house prices are unaffordable and there are lots of immigrants. There is plenty of corruption (Rockdale Council was not an isolated incident). Same shit different country as Amazulu says.
I think anyone going back to the UK for the sake of their kids is insane.

The UK is a dump, weather is shite, overcrowded and the people miserable.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Good luck with your decision, it's a toughie!

We have 2 kids (8 and 3) and miss the interaction with grandparents, and also the support of them as babysitters. However we webcam every night which has become very natural and chatty, with the kids messing around so it feels like we see them every day. However they still can't babysit!!

Adelaide still has some issues of Melbourne. Everyone says its a country town, well I still think it's a big city. We didn't like in a city in the UK, so Adelaide is still big and busy.

From what I've seen of Melbourne (on 2 visits), Melbourne sprawls more, is busier and more tatty.

Adelaide is clean, well laid out, close to everything (sea, hills), not busy, not polluted. However there are still tatty areas and an unruly youth element, racing cars, and still has crime.

We only arrived here 4 months ago, but I think the thing that would hit me if we went back to the UK would be the busyness, the greyness, the dirt, and the property prices.

However none of these would matter as we've worked out that family and friends are far more important than material issues and possessions.

Mash

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
We decided last night to go to Adelaide again in a few weeks - we nearly moved there last year but job prospects weren't good at the time for what we do (IT). Not sure if this will make me more or less confused (last week I was convinced it was the UK, this week I feel unsettled again) I know with the visas we can go and come back in say, 2 years....it's just so expensive and unsettling to keep moving all the time!!
Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:29 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by renth
I think anyone going back to the UK for the sake of their kids is insane.

The UK is a dump, weather is shite, overcrowded and the people miserable.
No sitting on the gence there Renth. I wouldn't call the UK a dump (it does have shit areas) but I agree about the miserable people. I like crowded areas.

One thing I would not go back for is the surf. Cornwall sounds crap compared to the coastline here. Have you been paddling out much recently?
Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:38 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
No sitting on the gence there Renth. I wouldn't call the UK a dump (it does have shit areas) but I agree about the miserable people. I like crowded areas.

One thing I would not go back for is the surf. Cornwall sounds crap compared to the coastline here. Have you been paddling out much recently?
I've booked up a load more lessons, every Sunday morning 8.00am to 10.am.

Everyone needs an ambition in life. Mine used to be "move to Australia" I can now tick that box.

Next ambition "get barreled"

Mustn't neglect the old windsurfing though. Last few days have been pumping. I'm hoping tomorrow will be the same. I want to try out my new Naish 5 metre and 75% carbon boom.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

:PARTY:
I know it must be so unsettling, now that a baby is on the way
but why not give Adelaide a try, you are so close.
When and if you return to the u.k.
you may say to yourself
why oh why did,I not give Adelaide a try, what have you got to loose,you are only young once.

Give it a go, if its not for you.
then you can go home to the u.k.

I know in my heart family is important, so are good friends.
good luck whatever you deceide to do.

having only been here two years, it wont be such a shock when you return.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:55 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds vey like Australia
Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:59 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

There are too many bloody immigrants,

Let's hope Australia doesn't think of you as a bloody immigrant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.