Moving alone?

Old Dec 8th 2005, 10:43 am
Just Joined

RachelA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving alone?

I've posted this on Aussiemove as well but it has been recommended that I try this site too...

I've read a lot of peoples posts and it seems it is families and couples moving. I'm single but about to start the application process. I'm a bit wary of moving by myself which is what is holding me back from taking that first step.

Has anyone moved to Australia by themselves and how did they find it? Did they managed to settle in well or did you find it very lonely at first being on the other side of the world all alone? I've travelled around Australia by myself when I finished uni but that was different. It was easy enough to make friends in hostels and constantly moving around but starting a new life alone is a scary prospect.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 11:47 am
Auspom

Auspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moving alone?

Originally Posted by RachelA
I've posted this on Aussiemove as well but it has been recommended that I try this site too...

I've read a lot of peoples posts and it seems it is families and couples moving. I'm single but about to start the application process. I'm a bit wary of moving by myself which is what is holding me back from taking that first step.

Has anyone moved to Australia by themselves and how did they find it? Did they managed to settle in well or did you find it very lonely at first being on the other side of the world all alone? I've travelled around Australia by myself when I finished uni but that was different. It was easy enough to make friends in hostels and constantly moving around but starting a new life alone is a scary prospect.
Hi Rachel, I think you should not worry to much as people on this forum do have get together in Aus good way to meet people. It is positive you know Australia alot of people are emigrating not even set foot on aus soil before.Are you going on a skilled Visa? If so you will get involved in work and australian lifestyle.
You could move to Scotland and face the same problems of lonliness. If you make an effort it pays off. Think of the reasons why you want to move? pos and Negs and if it all goes wrong it only a flight home. You dont want to say WHAT IF when your to old to do it. Good luck mate
Old Dec 8th 2005, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

RachelA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Auspom
Hi Rachel, I think you should not worry to much as people on this forum do have get together in Aus good way to meet people. It is positive you know Australia alot of people are emigrating not even set foot on aus soil before.Are you going on a skilled Visa? If so you will get involved in work and australian lifestyle.
You could move to Scotland and face the same problems of lonliness. If you make an effort it pays off. Think of the reasons why you want to move? pos and Negs and if it all goes wrong it only a flight home. You dont want to say WHAT IF when your to old to do it. Good luck mate
Thanks for your reply

I think thats the main reason I am doing this on my own. I don't want to have any regrets and who knows if or when I'll ever get married and even if they would want to move to Australia so I'm taking a chance and doing it by myself.

Its just such a long way away. Scotland is a couple of hours drive away. Australia is a day on a plane and hundreds of pounds away which makes it seem so much further (which it is. lol)
Old Dec 8th 2005, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

sven is just really nicesven is just really nicesven is just really nicesven is just really nicesven is just really nicesven is just really nicesven is just really nicesven is just really nicesven is just really nice

Thanks for your reply

I think thats the main reason I am doing this on my own. I don't want to have any regrets and who knows if or when I'll ever get married and even if they would want to move to Australia so I'm taking a chance and doing it by myself.

Its just such a long way away. Scotland is a couple of hours drive away. Australia is a day on a plane and hundreds of pounds away which makes it seem so much further (which it is. lol)
Hello there!!

I am in the process of going on my own. My application was submitted a month ago now.

I would just say Go For It!!!!! If you think that Australia is for you then i would do anything possible to make it happen.

I also had the dilemma of taking my then fiance with me. As emigrating was something I want to do for so many years before we met, she wasn't 100% committed to the cause which made it very difficult. You then start to think which is more important, your relationship or emigrating. In my case it was emigrating so i ended our relationship!! (and the subsequent relationship after that). Heartless ba****rd i know!

For me I just can't settle in this country until I've given the Aussie thing a try and the hassle of trying to convince others to come with me was a real pain. Not only that you get the feeling that they are holding you back.

If i was married or had kids then my outlook would probably be differnent, but as i have no ties i'm off!!

Well this is my own personal experiences and I'm sure others will have another point of you view for you to think about.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Sven
Old Dec 9th 2005, 1:37 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Hiya!

I did it on my own and I've never regretted a thing! After I'd been here 3 weeks I had a job, a car and I'd met a lovely man too! We're getting married next year!
You never know what's around the corner, but you'll never know if you don't give it a go.
Just remember - you can always go back if you don't like it here.
I have to say - making friends in Oz isn't hard to do. Just get involved in something - you'll be surprised how friendly people are.

Good luck!!

W.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 2:02 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wanderlust
Hiya!

I did it on my own and I've never regretted a thing! After I'd been here 3 weeks I had a job, a car and I'd met a lovely man too! We're getting married next year!
You never know what's around the corner, but you'll never know if you don't give it a go.
Just remember - you can always go back if you don't like it here.
I have to say - making friends in Oz isn't hard to do. Just get involved in something - you'll be surprised how friendly people are.

Good luck!!

W.
wander! Congrats to you and ya bloke!

rachel, i moved out alone too. I agree with what's already been said here. it's not difficult at all to get settled. It all depends on the person you are. I loved the organisation of it all and took it as a big challenge. Once i arrived in aus it all just fell into place, probably too quickly for my liking, but it was pretty easy.

After the visa was applied for i went through the same doubts and nerves but once the deadline to leaving approached it just got easier to accept and i was reving to go!

The biggest problem you'll find here is missing friends and family who you'll leave behind. Personally i'm not the sort of person who longs to be back home with my mates and family so i didn't find it hard.

It's like we've said already, if you don't like it or something doesn't work out it is a lot easier for you if you're on your own to make changes or just return to the UK. You should feel sorry for the people who leave with partners and families in toe, they go through a lot more stress and heartache!

i say go for it! if nothing else it's a change.

enjoy!
Old Dec 9th 2005, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

same here Rachel, did it on my own. if you look for threads started by me then u will see there is one that must now be about 6 months old about going alone...

i am loving it here, its so much easier when u have only yourself to look after. after 3 weeks i had car, job, room... everything is perfect. i made heaps of new friends as well! just missing the partner now, but i truly dont have time to look, and im not in a hurry (im a 28 y.o. girl by the way!)

good luck with everything, keep us posted!!

oxox

fabie
Old Dec 9th 2005, 2:21 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

I'm really enjoying reading these posts. Love to see true spirit of adventure. Good on you all!
Old Dec 9th 2005, 2:26 am
going with the wind

sim1112 is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved out here by myself and I'm still struggeling. I do not have friends or familly here - which implies I'm still trying to establish a network. Now it is the 4th month and it is going slowly better.
I was travelling in AU for several month and I did not have any trouble finding contact. However, moving and work is different. A bussy work shedule keeps me from meeting people as I would love to and just hang out...

It's nice to be here though, but if I would to do it again I would make sure I have a month off, before start working to settle down and establish the necessary enviroment.

would love some more British Expats meetings around in Melbourne, where you can join by using public transport ;-)
Old Dec 9th 2005, 2:29 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by swissfabs
same here Rachel, did it on my own. if you look for threads started by me then u will see there is one that must now be about 6 months old about going alone...

i am loving it here, its so much easier when u have only yourself to look after. after 3 weeks i had car, job, room... everything is perfect. i made heaps of new friends as well! just missing the partner now, but i truly dont have time to look, and im not in a hurry (im a 28 y.o. girl by the way!)

good luck with everything, keep us posted!!

oxox

fabie
hey fabie... we left on the same day, well give or take 365 days.

glad it's all worked out for ya.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 2:38 am
going with the wind

sim1112 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sim1112
I moved out here by myself and I'm still struggeling. I do not have friends or familly here - which implies I'm still trying to establish a network. Now it is the 4th month and it is going slowly better.
I was travelling in AU for several month and I did not have any trouble finding contact. However, moving and work is different. A bussy work shedule keeps me from meeting people as I would love to and just hang out...

It's nice to be here though, but if I would to do it again I would make sure I have a month off, before start working to settle down and establish the necessary enviroment.

would love some more British Expats meetings around in Melbourne, where you can join by using public transport ;-)

PS: I'm one of the lucky people coming to AU with job and started day 1 ... which is good. However... full time job is demanding and a lot of travelling is involved in my case
PPS: I managed as well to have basic things settled - except car and I'm feeling someone is missing to share the experience (I'm 28 girl as well )
Old Dec 9th 2005, 2:46 am
life begins again...

Originally Posted by sim1112

i completely agree with the taking time off. i started working freelance after the first week. i wish i'd taken at least a month off to travel around but you take the work while you can.

it's important to land, take a step back, a deep breath and get your priorities right. work and money are important but making a new life and enjoying the experience is more important!
Old Dec 9th 2005, 2:53 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i came on my own five years ago. travelled a bit, then settled in brisbane. have a good well paid job, lots of friends/social life, live in a great unit with swimming pool.

it took a while to make some *good* friends, the same as it would moving anywhere new. i have no family over here, so i've had to make it all on my own.

don't regret it for a minute.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I came on my own 26 years ago - and I'm still here (got a husband and family now, though).

I believe you get on just as well alone. People tend to feel sorry for you and invite you to things - whereas they might not bother if you're part of a couple. I had a great time when I arrived, settled in immediately and never looked back.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 2:58 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rachel,

I'm in the process of going on my own, and I think you will find here are more single people doing it than you think. If you have a look back through the old topics, there are several about going on your own, and single adventuresome people seemed to crawl out of the woodwork to chip in.

I was originally planning on going out in November, but had a load of problems with my house sale etc, and I decided to stay for Christmas, but will be heading in the new year, when all the fun here is over!

Where are you in the UK? Maybe try and get out to a meet with other likeminded people - It really helps as you all have the (generally) same objectives.

Good luck,

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.