Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving from Adelaide to Sydney

Moving from Adelaide to Sydney

Old Mar 8th 2012, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

GreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving from Adelaide to Sydney

Originally Posted by TopCat3
Well Green Man and bermuda Shorts (thanks for your replies btw) I can assure you that in all my time here (since 1985) I have NEVER seen a season like the one we have just had (er...summer they used to call it). It was long endless hot days and tropical-like rainy nights that would clear to sunshine next morning when I first came to Sydney in the 80s and into the 90s. Then we had the drought in the noughties, now this...this...deluge. Really it's nothing like "normal". Just the flood/drought/flood cycle that is Australia. Cue that poem - you know - I love a sunburnt country...
http://www.dorotheamackellar.com.au/.../mycountry.htm
That is what I was hoping for when we first moved here - balmy days and steamy rain at night.

Pity it resembles more the Outer Hedbrides these days i.e. days and days of rain . Our first 12 months here (late 2008 to late 2009) most of the time I enjoyed the weather, just had enough of the rain lately.

It just seems Sydney swings from one extreme to the other - perhaps a sustained period of "El Normal" would be good - no droughts, no floods etc.

Good news though - latest BOM update suggests a weakening of this dreadful La Nina
Old Apr 1st 2012, 3:41 am
Just Joined

charlie76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from Adelaide to Sydney

Well everything happened very quickly after I posted this. I'd got a job and moved a month later!

In the end I used Across Australia Removals (www.acrossoz.com). They were cheap and cheerful. It cost be around $1500 in the end. Downside was they had to get a huge truck down a small street in Norwood, SA which caused traffic chaos for a good 30 minutes, but apart from that everything went well. Pickup Friday morning (which made for a stressful last day of work), drop off Monday afternoon in Sydney.

And how's it going? Well despite the awful Summer, I'm enjoying Sydney life. I doubt I'll settle for good here though. I've been struggling with the air quality (having to use an inhaler occasionally after years without) and to live close to the city is just way too expensive. I reckon the next stop on my Australian tour will be Melbourne due to it's cheaper cost of living and cleaner air, and closer to my friends in SA