Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving To Adelaide in January

Moving To Adelaide in January

Old Dec 13th 2016, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Aussielover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving To Adelaide in January

We're used to tourists here in central Edinburgh - we get about 4 million a year!

Anyway, ultimately we'd like to buy something not too big (2-3 beds) but with some space around it, a pool (obviously), and near enough to the coast - the Aussie Dream I guess. We probably had it between 2006-2011 when we had a house in Noosa which we rented it out 10 months a year and used ourselves in Dec/Jan when we'd come over for six weeks. I foolishly sold it in 2011 as we thought our retirement plans were changing-D'oh!

So the challenge is just in arriving in Adelaide, finding something not too shabby for the first few months, and using this as a base to find a house we can eventually call home; thanks for your input, it's appreciated.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 9:46 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone suggested a chalet in a caravan park yet? Not a bad option for few weeks with fully furnished and all the amenities?
Old Dec 14th 2016, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the idea of a caravan park Teza; I've had a quick look and availability appears quite limited at that time. It also doesn't seem to be a lot cheaper than renting an apartment, and (dare I say it...) I suppose there'll be a lot of kids around! Maybe 20 years ago we'd have been more game to try it...

I've also had a quick look at airbnb too, looking to rent a whole apartment for a month - but not sure if this is a goer. Any experiences?
Old Dec 15th 2016, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

caferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nice

Funny, I went the other way from Adelaide to Edinburgh!!, happy I made the move, tried a few other cities in the UK, but ended up here...its got a ton more livable character than Adelaide.....
Old Dec 15th 2016, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Edinburgh IS a great city, lovely to look at and lots to do - but sometimes you just need a new life and we've reached that point now; retiring at 50 means we hopefully have a lot of years to explore, enjoy and settle in Australia. I know it won't always be easy, but we're still young and fit enough to give it a go.

There is one major downside for Edinburgh though - my missus put it best when she said " I don't want to be old and cold!", and I can't argue with that...
Old Dec 28th 2016, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

A quick update...

Legal stuff sorted on UK flat sale, flight booked to Adelaide 28th Jan, and a month in the Astra Apartments in downtown Adelaide; if necessary we'll extend our booking, but will try to find a reasonable 3-6 month let once there.

Thanks to all who took time to answer - I expect I'll have many more questions about Adelaide on the forum shortly!
Old Dec 29th 2016, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aussielover
A quick update...

Legal stuff sorted on UK flat sale, flight booked to Adelaide 28th Jan, and a month in the Astra Apartments in downtown Adelaide; if necessary we'll extend our booking, but will try to find a reasonable 3-6 month let once there.

Thanks to all who took time to answer - I expect I'll have many more questions about Adelaide on the forum shortly!

Great news, you have sorted out some of the hard "jobs" on a migrants "to do" list, its now out of the way....now you can really start to enjoy the prospect of your new life "down under" I wish you both all the very best of luck in your new life.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Good you have sorted that, things get pretty booked up in the city in Feb.
You may need to extend though as things are pretty quiet on the rental front at that time of year, we found few available near the city to suit us when we arrived at the end of Jan in 2014.

If you are out and about in Hahndorf let me know, you are welcome to pop in for a glass/ cuppa and a chat!

We are in our 50s and although hubbies is still working are winding down to a hopefully active retirement!
Old Dec 30th 2016, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Edinburgh IS a great city, lovely to look at and lots to do - but sometimes you just need a new life and we've reached that point now; retiring at 50 means we hopefully have a lot of years to explore, enjoy and settle in Australia. I know it won't always be easy, but we're still young and fit enough to give it a go.

There is one major downside for Edinburgh though - my missus put it best when she said " I don't want to be old and cold!", and I can't argue with that...
Good luck with your move.

But I think you may be in for a surprise with the "old and cold" bit, while still warmer than the UK and no snow(best part). The housing quality will make you feel the cold more than in the UK.

For me originally from Scotland, I have never owned so many thermals, even going so far as buying an electric blanket.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for your kind wishes brits1 - it is getting quite exciting now the flights are booked; the to 'do list' is still pretty long though!

Yes evets, we'd heard that it might be cooler than we imagine considering the lack of insulation or double-glazing in many houses. I was going to put my winter coats on eB*y before we left, but in light of what I'm hearing I think I better bring them with me...
Old Dec 30th 2016, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Hi Rammygirl, that's an extremely kind offer - we may have to take you up on that cuppa!

Like you say, I think we expect we'll have to extend our stay in an aparthotel for a few weeks until we find more permanent accommodation - but it feels good to know we have the first month sorted at least.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Yes evets, we'd heard that it might be cooler than we imagine considering the lack of insulation or double-glazing in many houses. I was going to put my winter coats on eB*y before we left, but in light of what I'm hearing I think I better bring them with me...
I brought my winter parka over and have only used it once. It is too warm to wear, same with some thick woolen scarves.

The key for me is layers here.

If you can get some decent money for your coats, may be worth selling them and then seeing what the winter here brings. As may be difficult to sell here if too warm for day to day use.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

I'll bring one warm coat in case I need to head back to the UK, and couple of spring/autumn weight ones which might get some wear from in Adelaide.

I think the rest will probably end up in charity shops - someone may as well benefit from them.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Good call. If you have time hit the sales at M&S for thermals, will be cheaper than buying here.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 11:45 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Finland, used to -30c all my childhood and I freeze my ass off every winter after 20yrs in Oz. The winters are cold but the houses are freezing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.