Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Adelaide

Moving to Adelaide

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 11:48 am
Just Joined

moaningcow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Adelaide

My family and i are thinking of moving to Australia ,with Adelaide top of our list.Any information about living there would be appreciated.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 11:50 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Adelaide

Originally Posted by moaningcow
My family and i are thinking of moving to Australia ,with Adelaide top of our list.Any information about living there would be appreciated.
This should be useful for you.......

http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaideb...ex.php?act=idx
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

Was just about to say the same thing
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bix

Thanks!
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 5:10 pm
Banned

Bradley7 will become famous soon enoughBradley7 will become famous soon enough

Hi Try Adelaidebrits, great forum there with lots of info. Please think carefully about why you want to move there though it's not for everyone, very very hot in summer 40 degrees plus. I adore hot hot weather . Also cold in winter gets cold at night and double glazing isn't standard in Aus lol. NSW offers a better climate, more expensive housing, but fantastic beaches . I'd advise going for an extended holiday before you consider moving there, as lots go wih rose tinted specs and end up hating being in Aus and longing for home!
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

ozzygirl is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Moving to Adelaide

Hi'a

We are heading off to Adelaide when we finally get our visa (hopefully at the end of this year) we spent a month there about 5 years ago and loved it.

When are you thinking of heading off ??

Keep Smiling

Angie
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ozzygirl
Hi'a

We are heading off to Adelaide when we finally get our visa (hopefully at the end of this year) we spent a month there about 5 years ago and loved it.

When are you thinking of heading off ??

Keep Smiling

Angie
August 2006 hopefully.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:35 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by Bradley7
Hi Try Adelaidebrits, great forum there with lots of info. Please think carefully about why you want to move there though it's not for everyone, very very hot in summer 40 degrees plus. I adore hot hot weather . Also cold in winter gets cold at night and double glazing isn't standard in Aus lol. NSW offers a better climate, more expensive housing, but fantastic beaches . I'd advise going for an extended holiday before you consider moving there, as lots go wih rose tinted specs and end up hating being in Aus and longing for home!
Adelaide does'nt get all that cold in winter, not as cold as Melbourne in winter. Summers in Adelaide are hotter then Melborne and Sydney but probably slightly cooler then perth and Brisbane. You only get a handful of summer days where it is 40 degrees plus.

Old Jul 23rd 2005, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by aussie73
Adelaide does'nt get all that cold in winter, not as cold as Melbourne in winter. Summers in Adelaide are hotter then Melborne and Sydney but probably slightly cooler then perth and Brisbane. You only get a handful of summer days where it is 40 degrees plus.
You are so right Aussie73 !!!!! Melbourne is much colder than Adelaide !!!!!
and it can also get very humid in Sydney.

Adelaide is a lovely place,easy excess to anywhere you want to go.

If you prefer it cooler in summer live in the Adelaide Hills, lush, green, and 17KL. from the city.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

The physical environment in Adelaide is great. It's very pretty, close to the hills and the sea , does not suffer the isolation of Perth, the climate is warmer than Melbourne's and it doesn't have the humidity of Brisbane and Sydney. Housing is more affordable to Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane and about the same as Perth.

However the people are very "small town". Close minded, interbred and not very accepting of outsiders - even those from other States. I have a friend from Melbourne who has lived all over Australia and she says that she has found it more difficult to make friends in Adelaide than anywhere else she has lived in.

We have made friends here but generally speaking you always feel like an outsider. There are fewer immigrants here than in other states, but those that I have met and spoken too all feel the same way.

I was transferred here from Canada by the company I work for. I don't think I would have chosen Adelaide.