Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving To Adelaide

Wikiposts

Moving To Adelaide

Old May 6th 2003, 5:39 am
CRUTE FAMILY

Default Moving To Adelaide

NO-ONE SEEMS TO TALK ABOUT ADELAIDE! ME AND THE HUSBAND AND OUR THREE CHILDREN(AGES 10 9 7)ARE PLANNING TO GO JAN 2004.
WE ARE CURRENTLY HAVING OUR SKILLS ASSESSMENT.SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY TROUBLE(WE HOPE)
WHAT DO YOU THINK OF ADELAIDE?
IS IT GOING TO BE A BETTER STANDARD OF LIVING FOR OUR KIDS?
WHAT AREAS SHOULD WE STAY CLEAR OF?WHERE ARE THE BEST AREAS.
SO MUCH TOO ASK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old May 6th 2003, 5:55 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I stayed in and around adelaide for about 4 months a few years ago.

Really nice city. Clean, not overly congested etc.

Summers can be a tad warm though......Adelaide suffers about the most extreme temperature ranges of anywhere in oz...

Winter regularly gets very chilly, the occasional frost etc, and in summer VERY warm. When i was over there we had a record January with 17 days over 40 degrees. That does'nt happen often, luckily, and it was'nt a particulaly pleasant experience!

My wife went to school in adelaide and she turned out alright

Not really sure though about schooling for youngsters but the city has a couple of really good uni's. Adelaide uni itself is regarded as one of the better ones in Oz, and flinders is'nt bad

Cheers

Pete.
Old May 6th 2003, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

wow apart from shouting at us, there are loads of people here heading out to adelaide..

you've obviously not been reading much or using the search function......lurk, browse,read, learn, ask...

cheers

richard
Old May 6th 2003, 8:50 am
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving To Adelaide

Originally posted by CRUTE FAMILY
NO-ONE SEEMS TO TALK ABOUT ADELAIDE! ME AND THE HUSBAND AND OUR THREE CHILDREN(AGES 10 9 7)ARE PLANNING TO GO JAN 2004.
WE ARE CURRENTLY HAVING OUR SKILLS ASSESSMENT.SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY TROUBLE(WE HOPE)
Just for info - all capitals is considered to be SHOUTING. It's a trivial thing but it's a convention that seems to work well.

As to Adelaide, sometimes referred to as 'Surrey with sunshine' I think it's a pretty neat place, but do your research - find somewhere that suits your lifestyle and expectations. There's plenty about the city and SA in general on this forum - there's lots of us heading there. A good place to start would be any recent thread with posts by 'Mr Mover' - a great source of local knowledge.

Perry
Old May 6th 2003, 9:15 am
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

We are going to Adelaide as soon as visa approved. Applying on spouse visa not skills related. My sister (22) is currently touring around Oz and as a young, single person found Adelaide far too quiet. We are going there as we are not after a buzzing night life just a better quality of life for us and our children (aged 9 and 6)

Good luck with application.

Sally
Old May 6th 2003, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

dog19363 is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a few of us at http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/adelaidebrits

(we like to keep it quiet about what a great place it is....don't want too many people coming here and spoiling it)

Dog
Old May 7th 2003, 1:07 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dog19363
There's a few of us at http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/adelaidebrits

(we like to keep it quiet about what a great place it is....don't want too many people coming here and spoiling it)

Dog
thats right dog ,the only ,place that was settled without convicts, so the free spirit, exsists. .................MM
Old May 7th 2003, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Ianrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really nice

Hi there,
We are going out to adelaide on 29th June to see what its like.
We are staying with relatives and staying for six weeks. so should see it as it is.
Will let you know how we get on.
Meanwhile try this site for houses for sale, might give you some insight.
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...ch?a=bhp&t=res

Cheers
Iain