Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving abroad with debt - tell bank I'm moving to reduce chance of CCJ?

Moving abroad with debt - tell bank I'm moving to reduce chance of CCJ?

Old Jan 24th 2015, 12:08 am
Just Joined

Blimey90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving abroad with debt - tell bank I'm moving to reduce chance of CCJ?

Hello everyone,

I will be leaving the UK soon to move to Australia and set up a new life with my partner. I have debt on credit cards and loans with a few different banks. With circumstances over the next couple of years probably won't be in a position to pay them back.

As I need to move to Australia soon I was just going to move and then when I was in a position to pay them back personally and financially in a couple of years get in contact with the banks then.

My question is, is it better to:

1) Just disappear and not tell the banks I have moved to Australia so it reduces the chance of debt collecting agencies chasing me in Australia or

2) Tell the banks I am living in Australia so they cannot get a CCJ against me at my last known address in my absence.

To be honest I was just going to move without contacting the banks and deal with it all down the line. However I have read on here that Australia has a reciprocal enforcement agreement that could be enforced if a CCJ is logged against me. Therefore am I better telling the banks I am outside the uk so they can not give me a CCJ as unless I am mistaken the only way I could get trouble in Australia for my outstanding debt is if the CCJ is enforced. But if I tell them where I am living will I not just get bombarded with calls and letters harassing me??

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jan 24th 2015, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving abroad with debt - tell bank I'm moving to reduce chance of CCJ?

Originally Posted by Blimey90
Hello everyone,

I will be leaving the UK soon to move to Australia and set up a new life with my partner. I have debt on credit cards and loans with a few different banks. With circumstances over the next couple of years probably won't be in a position to pay them back.

As I need to move to Australia soon I was just going to move and then when I was in a position to pay them back personally and financially in a couple of years get in contact with the banks then.

1) Just disappear and not tell the banks I have moved to Australia so it reduces the chance of debt collecting agencies chasing me in Australia or

2) Tell the banks I am living in Australia so they cannot get a CCJ against me at my last known address in my absence.

To be honest I was just going to move without contacting the banks and deal with it all down the line. However I have read on here that Australia has a reciprocal enforcement agreement that could be enforced if a CCJ is logged against me. Therefore am I better telling the banks I am outside the uk so they can not give me a CCJ as unless I am mistaken the only way I could get trouble in Australia for my outstanding debt is if the CCJ is enforced. But if I tell them where I am living will I not just get bombarded with calls and letters harassing me??

Thanks
Can you not enter into an agreement with the bank, where you pay back what you can afford over a longer period of time?

The bank should be well aware that they risk getting nothing back if you just leave for Australia and don't pass on a forwarding address.

Also, do you want to risk any potential financial issues if and when you return to the UK
Old Jan 24th 2015, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

SUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving abroad with debt - tell bank I'm moving to reduce chance of CCJ?

This is a no brainer... pay the bank back first... you cant afford to go to Australia until you do. you're plan to defraud the bank only puts the cost of banking up for those who dont do a runner
Old Jan 24th 2015, 12:26 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blimey90
Hello everyone,

Thanks
Sorry Blimey, I'm not up on the credit regs in the UK or on whether there's any reciprocal credit default agreement between the two countries.

Best you do some online/in person research through reputable sites (such as government and recognized not-for-profit legal facts sites), and community advice centres, - somewhere like a local community legal centre should be able to give you the facts, at least on UK credit law.

Life throws all kinds of things at us, just do the best you can in accordance with the info you find out because really, that's all any of us can do (the best we can). Best of luck with the move